PDA

View Full Version : Questions For '08 Owners

w5lx
05-21-2007, 06:15 AM
I am currently on my 3nd BMW ('07 328i) and am considering another 5-Series. There are a few things lacking on the 3-Series that have influenced my decision to look once again at the 5-Series. I am just wondering if the new '08 models have any of the following improvements included in the new '08 models, or is BMW still cost-cutting by eliminating items that should be standard on a $50,000+ automoble:

1. Oil dipstick? (instead of the computerized bar-graph)
2. Spare tire included with runflats?
3. Factory-installed alarm system standard?
4. Water temp gauge? (instead of the computerized "idiot-lights")
5. Wheel lug locks standard?

What else has been left off of these cars that should be standard items on a high-end automobile?

My08535i
05-21-2007, 06:55 AM
No wheel locks, no Factory alarm (prewired for it)

SteVTEC
05-21-2007, 08:39 AM
- I think only the V8's still have the oil dipstick.
- Spare is included, which is why a lot are ok with dumping the RFT's.
- Fuel and MPG guage, no temp guage, although the "35" tt motor has a fairly useful oil temp gauge in place of MPG.

stevepow
05-21-2007, 09:36 AM
My 07 550i has a factory alarm system - described in detail in the Owner's Manual.

All the 5s show it as a feature on the BMWUSA WEB. I do see where on the 328i it is a option, pre-wired, but not on the 5's.

iversonm
05-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Please don't take offense at my comment, as it is not directed at you personally.
You just happened to hit a subject that resembles fingernails on a chalkboard with me.

What qualifies a dipstick as being a critical element of a state-of-the-art automobile?

For $50,000, would I rather muck about under the hood with an oily rag to tell how much oil is in the engine, or would I rather have the car tell me the answer?

It certainly isn't cost. The dipstick, tube, and the machined hole in the side of the block can't cost more than $3.00 total. I'd guess an electric sending unit would cost at least twice as much.

It can't be reliability of the sending unit, as we seem to have no problem using electronics to tell how much fuel is in the tank and how much washer fluid is in the reservoir.

At best, it is a physical and emotional throwback to the era when a crank stuck out of the front of the car and one carried enough tools and parts to rebuild your motor on the side of the road.

Am I off base with this thinking?

rdevillers
05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
The V8's still have them but the newer 6 cylinders do not. I love being able to check the oil from the iDrive system. It sure beats the old fashioned way.

I would bet the elimination of oil dipsticks is also to aid in reducing emissions. One less place for crankcase fumes to escape.

w5lx
05-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Please don't take offense at my comment, as it is not directed at you personally.
You just happened to hit a subject that resembles fingernails on a chalkboard with me.

What qualifies a dipstick as being a critical element of a state-of-the-art automobile?

For $50,000, would I rather muck about under the hood with an oily rag to tell how much oil is in the engine, or would I rather have the car tell me the answer?

It certainly isn't cost. The dipstick, tube, and the machined hole in the side of the block can't cost more than $3.00 total. I'd guess an electric sending unit would cost at least twice as much.

It can't be reliability of the sending unit, as we seem to have no problem using electronics to tell how much fuel is in the tank and how much washer fluid is in the reservoir.

At best, it is a physical and emotional throwback to the era when a crank stuck out of the front of the car and one carried enough tools and parts to rebuild your motor on the side of the road.

Am I off-base with this thinking?

No offense taken. If you will do a search on the 3-Series boards, on this forum as well as on www.e90post.com and www.bmwboard.com you will see that there has been a high rate of failures of the computerized auto oil level sensors. Most of the time the sensors have indicated very low oil levels when the oil level is actually normal and full. There is no way to cross-check this and prevent over-filling the oil reservoir, possibly damaging the engine. A manual dipstick would eliminate this problem. These sensors have a HIGH failure rate, and if your car is out of warranty, the repair bill is a reported $500. An old-fashioned dipstick would prevent all of these problems.

SteVTEC
05-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah exactly. Ain't progress great? :)

Spyder
05-21-2007, 10:27 PM
+1. For a while on the 6er board some folks thought that they didn't have a dipstick, most likely b/c it wasn't shown on the underhood graphic in the owner's manual. It's there all right, and thank god for that. My habit is to check the oil before starting the engine, and I don't want to rely on a sensor for that. Fuel level, let alone washer fluid level, are not as critical to the continued safe operation of your vehicle as oil level. The danger of too little oil is obvious, but adding too much oil can result in shortened engine life as well. Aerated oil is a lousy lubricant.

TimeOut
05-22-2007, 07:10 AM
How come a $50K+ car doesn't come with alarm?

Even worst, I don't even see the alarm option when I build a 5 series or 3 series using BMWUSA website.

Deutschecar
05-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Remote keyless entry security alarm system with selective unlocking and double-lock feature (programmed at BMW center), remote trunk opening, interior motion detector, and panic feature ***************That was taken off BMWUSA. Looks a lot like an alarm system. Its in the "standard features" section.

TimeOut
05-22-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm NOT crazy.
I swear when I opened BMWUSA website last night, the standard features said: "Pre-wired for alarm system". I just opened it again and it shows "Remote Keyless Entry Security Alarm System....". :eeps:

stevepow
05-22-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm NOT crazy.
I swear when I opened BMWUSA website last night, the standard features said: "Pre-wired for alarm system". I just opened it again and it shows "Remote Keyless Entry Security Alarm System....". :eeps:

That's the 3 series - did you miss my post above? The 5 includes it standard.

TimeOut
05-22-2007, 09:06 AM
It is a bug in the BMWUSA website. If you build a 3 series first, look at the standard features, then abort and build a 5 series, it will show in the 5 series standard features "Pre-wiring for BMW center installation of mobile phone, alarm system".

I knew I wasn't crazy. :eeps:

gweiden
05-23-2007, 06:46 AM
There is definitely an alarm as a standard feature on the 2008 535xi. The web site is bizarre but my window sticker shows it under comfort and convenience and I finally figured out how to test it today. It's not just the horn, it is a siren type alarm.

Kamdog
05-23-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm worried about the lack of a real dip stick.

BIG _AL
05-23-2007, 08:09 AM
There is definitely an alarm as a standard feature on the 2008 535xi. The web site is bizarre but my window sticker shows it under comfort and convenience and I finally figured out how to test it today. It's not just the horn, it is a siren type alarm.

How did you test the alarm?

gweiden
05-23-2007, 09:16 AM
How did you test the alarm?

I rolled a window down, placed the key fob away from the car, reached in and unlocked the doors and opened the door from the inside. When I tried to lock my wife in the car without the fob, the motion sensor did not appear to work. It is a siren not just a horn alarm.

petesamprs
05-23-2007, 10:35 AM
What really bugs me, more than the 5 things the OP mentioned above, is the fact that the 550i doesn't come standard with Logic7 while my e90 330i does. Makes no sense at all.

quackbury
05-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Of course, if they made wheel locks standard, we'd be barraged with threads from morons who'd lost the key (or from nice folks whose significant others had lost the key, or for that matter didn't know there was a key), and had to have their $50,000 car flat-bedded because AAA couldn't change their flat tire.....

Life is full of compromises. Besides, my SA threw mine in for free.

My pet peeve: Once you drive a car with an auto dimming mirror, you're hooked for life. But last time I had an E60 loaner (525xi), it not only didn't have the auto dimming inside mirror, but no way to easily dim it manually, either. (No toggle switch under the mirror like even the cheapest Kia). IMHO that feature should be standard, not part of the PP.

iversonm
05-23-2007, 11:22 AM
. But last time I had an E60 loaner (525xi), it not only didn't have the auto dimming inside mirror, but no way to easily dim it manually, either. (No toggle switch under the mirror like even the cheapest Kia).

There wasn't a clown nose on the mirror?

quackbury
05-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't recall whether cars without PP have a clown nose or not, but what difference does that make? On the 525 / 528 the auto dimming mirror only comes with the PP.

iversonm
05-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't recall whether cars without PP have a clown nose or not, but what difference does that make? On the 525 / 528 the auto dimming mirror only comes with the PP.

On my non PP car, you turn the clown nose to manually dim the mirror. I was suprised that you indicated there was no way to dim the mirror.

I'm not questioning the utility of the autodimming model.

quackbury
05-23-2007, 12:05 PM
On my non PP car, you turn the clown nose to manually dim the mirror.

Didn't know that - thanks for the heads up. Next time they give ma a non-PP loaner I'll know.:thumbup:

quackbury
05-23-2007, 12:05 PM
On my non PP car, you turn the clown nose to manually dim the mirror.

Didn't know that - thanks for the heads up. Next time they give ma a non-PP loaner I'll know.:thumbup:

iversonm
05-23-2007, 12:07 PM

It's certainly not an intuitive interface.