PDA

View Full Version : '08 5-Series Problems??

w5lx
05-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Now that the '08 5-Series cars are being delivered, I'm wondering if there are any problems turning up that might indicate a trend. Are any new owners of the '08 models experiencing any problems, malfunctions, technical glitches, gremlins, or bad experiences with the hardware/software of the '08 models??:dunno:

ks-man
05-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Knock on wood, no problems yet with mine

fp60
05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
3 days so far... it's a dream.

citygirl
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
I've had mine now for four weeks and have not had a single problem, although I've probably now jinxed myself for saying this! :yikes:

Swift
05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
None of that floaty feeling like a crosswind is blowing at you at 50+mph?

newbimmer
05-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Knock wood, nothing yet

RD@VA
05-22-2007, 07:16 AM
I did ED on mine on May 3rd and drove 900 miles in a week and no problems at all. My 535xi is awesome! Can't wait for it to get back.

lbdb1a
05-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Picked up my 2008 535i on 4/26/08..........no problems at all.

parodielin
05-22-2007, 11:51 AM
I did my 528xi ED on May 16 and drove 778 miles in 5 days. It's an amazing car and no issues.

Deutschecar
05-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Gas pedal usage is high...that is all.

fp60
05-22-2007, 12:07 PM
OK.... this is a bit scary.. I was driving home on the turnpike lastnight as usual.
I had a Audi, Mustang, Mercedes and some Japanese rice cooker (a Lexus) all racing against each other (like they could really move in rush hour traffic). They all passed me as I am still breaking the car in after 3 days. I was crusing at aboutg 60 to 65 MPH. We all went around a couple of semi's and there was a break in traffic for about half a mile. Thats when I thought I'd touch the power up a notch. Soooo, I just slightly stepped on the gas and within a few seconds I hit 110 MPH. I left the four some where behind me. The scary part is that I felt like I was no where near the potential full power of the the 550I. They all stayed behind me until I got off my exit. Think I marked my terriorty... LOL

As my best friend has been telling me for years... "all you bmw driver's think you own the road!!!". My simple response back to her is... "We are the road."

:angel:

love330i
05-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Wait and see gonna any problems from any BMW's cars?

Mac Daddy
05-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Wait and see gonna any problems from any BMW's cars?

:confused:

What?

Coherence is your friend. I have a better chance understanding Jspira in German.

bmwfanwashdc
05-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Of course there are going to be problems..... they are bmw's. they are definitely not rated as one of the most dependable cars on the market but they are at least one of the most fun to drive!!!.

gweiden
05-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I haven't been to the dealer yet, but it appears the steptronic shifter is not working quite right. When in park, shifting into drive is not fluid. It takes a bit more struggling with the shifter before it goes into drive. If I go from park to reverse then to drive, it goes into gear smoothly. I plan on taking it in soon to have it looked at. Anyone else having this issue?

CharlotteBimmer
05-23-2007, 02:28 PM
I drove it 40 miles off the lot and it gave me the "engine too hot to drive" message. I pulled over and they picked it up with a flatbed. It was a faulty cooling module. it was repaired and I haven't noticed any problems other than the speeding tickets :thumbup:

Solidjake
05-23-2007, 02:33 PM
"all you bmw driver's think you own the road!!!". My simple response back to her is... "We are the road."

Wow, that is an amazing quote!! lol :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

nekountze
05-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Now that the '08 5-Series cars are being delivered, I'm wondering if there are any problems turning up that might indicate a trend. Are any new owners of the '08 models experiencing any problems, malfunctions, technical glitches, gremlins, or bad experiences with the hardware/software of the '08 models??:dunno:

Picked our 535xiT up today ED using Rolf as our guide - awesome. Drove 250 miles and kept it below 105 mph at points, and other BMW's blew past me! This car is solid and no problems yet. I have two eeeks here, and after 2500 miles (dropping off in Madrid) will report, but I am impressed.

BTW if you do ED, don't miss the Munich factory tour. Awesome. 850 cars of all types (3 series) and 1200 engines for all cars roll of the line per day. Paint shop is incredible. From sheet metal to finished car in just over a day is typical.

cheers,
Neely

gweiden
05-23-2007, 04:57 PM
It's confirmed, my Steptronic gear shifter is in fact defective and has been from the start - I picked the car up seven days ago. The dealership is ordering a new gear shifter assembly.

georgej
05-23-2007, 09:14 PM
They did not work when I picked up my 528xi with 3 miles on it. Needed new headlight.

bmwguynj
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Knock on wood, going on 3 weeks and all is good.

Today my IDrive Screen Froze, but started up the engine again and all was back to normal.

barnesdh
05-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Just curious.....of those of you out there that have either one of these BMW models, what (real world) gas mileage are you getting? I just sold my 2004 MB E320 (17mpg to 27mpg) to buy a 5 series. I have seen reports (no data) that indicates the 535 consumes a LOT more gas than the 528. Would like some data. I previously bought myself a 2006 330xi, and the gas mileage is quite good (18 mpg to 30 mpg). Unfortunately, my wife started driving it and won't give it back. I am now going through withdrawal and want another Bimmer. Thanks, guys (and gals).

Dave

parodielin
05-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Just curious.....of those of you out there that have either one of these BMW models, what (real world) gas mileage are you getting? I just sold my 2004 MB E320 (17mpg to 27mpg) to buy a 5 series. I have seen reports (no data) that indicates the 535 consumes a LOT more gas than the 528. Would like some data. I previously bought myself a 2006 330xi, and the gas mileage is quite good (18 mpg to 30 mpg). Unfortunately, my wife started driving it and won't give it back. I am now going through withdrawal and want another Bimmer. Thanks, guys (and gals).

Dave

I drove the 528xi in Germany for 778 miles, highway and local combined, with computer showing the mileage of 23.8.

w5lx
05-27-2007, 06:10 AM

Dave

This is a bit OFF TOPIC. If you are interested in the gas mileage of various models, why don't you start a thread on THAT subject??:dunno:

lwall
05-27-2007, 10:44 AM
I know turbo chargers make the engine run extremely hot, turns the oil black very quickly and likely stress the engine. I am leary of the twin tubo set-up. To me, if you are relying on turbo chargers for more power then you' ve reached the point where need to add a couple of cylinders or increase the size of the 6 cylinder engine. What are your thoughts and/or experiences with the 535 or 335 twin turbo engines. Has it been a maintenance issue with BMW?

citygirl
05-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Picked our 535xiT up today ED using Rolf as our guide - awesome. Drove 250 miles and kept it below 105 mph at points, and other BMW's blew past me! This car is solid and no problems yet. I have two eeeks here, and after 2500 miles (dropping off in Madrid) will report, but I am impressed.

BTW if you do ED, don't miss the Munich factory tour. Awesome. 850 cars of all types (3 series) and 1200 engines for all cars roll of the line per day. Paint shop is incredible. From sheet metal to finished car in just over a day is typical.

cheers,
Neely

You got it -- congrats!! Can't wait to hear how you like it. I'm loving mine more each passing day.

BigWhup
05-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Don't have either one of those.

2008, 550i drove a short highway trip with cruise on at 70mph, got 24.76mpg. Previous day, drove a 300+ mile round trip at 75-80 going and 75 to95mph coming back. Total mpg for that trip was 24 mpg.

Morale of that story... screw 70 mph!

iversonm
05-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Of course there are going to be problems..... they are bmw's. they are definitely not rated as one of the most dependable cars on the market but they are at least one of the most fun to drive!!!.

Actually, they are ranked (http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2005089) as one of the more dependable brands on the market.

abe
05-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Long term dependability study:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pdf/2006133.pdf

Initial Quality Study:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pdf/2006082.pdf

Those are both from 2006. I wasn't able to find 2007 numbers yet.

03&04Owner
06-23-2007, 07:34 PM
None of that floaty feeling like a crosswind is blowing at you at 50+mph?

Very interested on the same. I had the 2004 530i and ended up trading it before 2 years because of that sail in the wind feeling. Now I'm very interested on getting a 528, but I'm kind of worried about this. Test drove one today, but couldn't get on the highway with it, to see how it felt at highway speeds.

What do you guys think about how the new 5 feels as you are driving on highways, with the wind hitting you. If possible 528 owners.

Thanks for your time...

iversonm
06-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Ignore. I posted incorrectly.

w5lx
06-24-2007, 05:42 AM
I drove it 40 miles off the lot and it gave me the "engine too hot to drive" message. I pulled over and they picked it up with a flatbed. It was a faulty cooling module. it was repaired and I haven't noticed any problems other than the speeding tickets :thumbup:

I'm wondering what a "Cooling Module" is?? Would that be a Radiator or a Water Pump or some related component like that? Or is it a computer part or sensor that monitors water temp?

MikeBos
06-24-2007, 06:17 AM
I am assuming my experience is an anomaly, but I took delivery of my 2008 550i in early May, and within a week the nav system died. It has been back to the dealer 3 times since then, and still not completely fixed. The first time the dealer overbooked and never got to even look at the car (obviously not the fault of the car :-). Second time, they pulled a nav system from a 2007 car, installed it in my car, only to find that it's apparently changed, and they needed to order a new one from Germany (this took them a day to figure out). Third time, they had the part, installed it, and reloaded the iDrive software, but seem to have loaded the wrong version (I lost functionality like "Autostore HD", and preset buttons no longer record the stations correctly). So I will be bringing it back a fourth time soon.

Not a great experience, but I wouldn't draw many conclusions from it because it's mostly a product of the dealer service. Otherwise the car is great.

mapezzul
06-25-2007, 06:29 AM
I know turbo chargers make the engine run extremely hot, turns the oil black very quickly and likely stress the engine. I am leary of the twin tubo set-up. To me, if you are relying on turbo chargers for more power then you' ve reached the point where need to add a couple of cylinders or increase the size of the 6 cylinder engine. What are your thoughts and/or experiences with the 535 or 335 twin turbo engines. Has it been a maintenance issue with BMW?

You obviously do not know much about modern cars and turbo charging, you should try the search feature and you will find tons of info on the twin turbo setup. The reason for the twin turbos is to improve efficiency and lessen the weight of the car.

The major issues right now with the BMW engine have been covered exhaustively in other threads. Which are not design flaws but rather supplier flaws (High pressure fuel pump for the Direct injection, and the the injectors themselves as supplied by Siemens)

Best of luck!:thumbup:

BMWBluejay
06-25-2007, 08:55 AM
I've had my 535xi for a little over a month--about 1200 miles on it. Last week I was returning from a 2 hour road trip and an error message came up stating a fault with the passenger restraint system. I took the car to BMW service, they tested it and decided to replace the part that contains the mechanism that contains the charge to deploy the airbag. That can't be shipped via air since it's an explosive device, so it had to be ground shipped. Then BMW sent it to the wrong dealership, so I've been without my 535 for a week--hope to get it back today. Very disappointing (and embarrassing) to have my brand new car in the shop so soon-I hope it's truly an anomaly and not indicative of what I should expect in the future. Other than this issue, I love the car and can't wait to get back into it. My loaner is a new 328 and there is no comparison between the two (as there shouldn't be.)