PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Ipod/USB Thread (Option 6FL)

ks-man
05-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Not sure if this thread will become a sticky or just die a quick death, but I was thinking it would be better to start a thread dedicated to the 6FL option as there are so many pages in the other one dealing with the dealer installed Ipod accessory.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start it off, has anybody figured out how to set it to a specific playlist when you switch to iPod? I have it saved as the number two memory key, and when I select it, it will always start up the same playlist but not the one I want. It doesn't matter what playlist was playing when I saved the memory key or what the last played playlist was when I switched off of the AUX source.

rjucks
05-21-2007, 04:45 PM
While this thread isn't for me as I have the dealer installed iPod Kit, but I was wondering what your experience has been so far the 6FL option. I assume it still takes a minute or two to load the iPod into the system, but in terms of autoresuming when you leave your ipod connected and restart the car is it pretty instaneous or does it take a minute to resume the last track that was playing when you left the car?

ks-man
05-21-2007, 04:47 PM
It is pretty much instantaneous to start up a song that was already playing (maybe 3-5 seconds). It loads the playlists quickly as well (maybe 5-7 seconds). I don't think it ever takes a minute or two to do anything. The longest wait I've experienced is switching from one source to another which takes about 10 seconds, but this happens with satellite radio as well.

BMWBluejay
05-22-2007, 09:02 AM
My only complaint with the iPod option is how long it takes to scroll through all the artists--I have hundreds and if you want to play your ZZ Top songs for example, it takes a long time to get to Z. Other than that I like it alot.

Russ Williams
05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
My only complaint with the iPod option is how long it takes to scroll through all the artists--I have hundreds and if you want to play your ZZ Top songs for example, it takes a long time to get to Z. Other than that I like it alot.

Create playlists as it makes a huge difference in not only having to search through hundreds of artists but the start up time is only a matter of a few seconds on the dealer installed option.

gdb
05-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Has anyone figured out how to make the "Random" menu item sticky?

With 6FL in an '08 528i I noticed that my playlist was progressing linearly through an artist till I noticed the "Random" choice, but that turns off every time I stop the car. The setting for Playlist detail remains though.

Thanks

ChrisDressler
06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Has anyone run across this issue:

Select a playlist from your iPod
iPod advances through the songs as expected
Turn off the car
When you turn the car back on, the song you last played is playing, but instead of being in the playlist you were in last, you are in a something called "Now Playing" which only has this single song in it.
You then have to go back and find the playlist and jump back into it again.Is this expected behavior? Is anyone seeing anything different?

ks-man
06-04-2007, 04:55 PM
If you are in the Now Playing screen it is actually in your Playlist. It is like the Now Playing screen on your iPod. It will go to the next song in the playlist unless you were last on random and then it will of course randomly select a song in the playlist.

ChrisDressler
06-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Ahhh! I'll let it go to the next track next time this happens--trying to figure out the iDrive and iPod integration on day 2 of ownership--apparently lots more to learn... :D

cokaer
06-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Has anyone run across this issue:

Select a playlist from your iPod
iPod advances through the songs as expected
Turn off the car
When you turn the car back on, the song you last played is playing, but instead of being in the playlist you were in last, you are in a something called "Now Playing" which only has this single song in it.
You then have to go back and find the playlist and jump back into it again.Is this expected behavior? Is anyone seeing anything different?

I've noticed the same thing. I've found that when this occurs I can advance forward and backward through the playlist by clicking the controls on the steering wheel, but I can't get the playlist to come up so that I could actually scroll through it.

Has anyone identified a solution?

Also, other than building in playlists, has anyone identified a way to move through artists more quickly? Scrolling can take 5 mins.

enelrojo
06-11-2007, 07:49 AM
I've noticed the same thing. I've found that when this occurs I can advance forward and backward through the playlist by clicking the controls on the steering wheel, but I can't get the playlist to come up so that I could actually scroll through it.

Also, other than building in playlists, has anyone identified a way to move through artists more quickly? Scrolling can take 5 mins.

Load music by genre, or make playlists.

ChrisDressler
06-11-2007, 08:56 AM

I've seen the same thing. While you are indeed still inside the playlist you were last using when you restart the car, you can't see any of the songs in the playlist. All you can do is just hit track next/back to move inside it.

And as another poster said, all I've been able to figure out is make playlists for artists that I like a lot--other than that you just scroll. However I've started using my iPod Nano in the car instead of my regular iPod. It seems a little quicker on response times as the disk on the iPod doesn't need to spin up for the music (Flash based) and since it is only 4GB, it is really my "best of..." music so there isn't as much to search through.

cokaer
06-12-2007, 05:58 AM
I wonder if there might be a software update available at some point that could fix this. It seems it wouldn't be too complicated to build in an alphabetical directory along the same lines as available for searching my Blackberry address book.

gweiden
06-12-2007, 12:46 PM
I wonder if there might be a software update available at some point that could fix this. It seems it wouldn't be too complicated to build in an alphabetical directory along the same lines as available for searching my Blackberry address book.

You captured my exact thoughts! One can hope....

newbimmer
06-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Just got part 6FL and sync was a breeze and everything is in the iDrive menu. :thumbup:
Programmed one of the 6 buttons to take me right to the iPod so I dont need to use the iDrive for it.

It was a minor inconvenience by not getting it from the dealer on pick up but I will chalk that up to a new item that they forgot about,

Anyone getting the factory interface make sure you ask for the part, it will save you a lot of frustration.