PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade HK sound system to HD radio

couger85
05-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I was looking into upgrading my current HK sound system's stock head unit to an HD radio compatiable unit. I was wondering if anybody has any info on what is the best Head Units for a BMW M3 2002. I would like the steering controls to work with the new system also... if possiable.

I am thinking that a new head unit will give me much better sound quality with the stock HK speekers and amp. ....

thanks

Technic
05-22-2007, 12:21 PM
I was looking into upgrading my current HK sound system's stock head unit to an HD radio compatiable unit. I was wondering if anybody has any info on what is the best Head Units for a BMW M3 2002. I would like the steering controls to work with the new system also... if possiable.

I am thinking that a new head unit will give me much better sound quality with the stock HK speekers and amp. ....

thanks

Another option: http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=467&osCsid=4e3b2a7fcf3ac703d154e8c709b2f514 :thumbup:

couger85
05-22-2007, 05:10 PM
The issues with that unit is that it is an external piece, and where do you mount it? Also, I will still have the stock Head Unit, which won't help my sound quality. I expected the HK system to sound much better than it does.... I thought that putting in a new head unit would help that?

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know...

Technic
05-23-2007, 09:02 AM
The issues with that unit is that it is an external piece, and where do you mount it? Also, I will still have the stock Head Unit, which won't help my sound quality. I expected the HK system to sound much better than it does.... I thought that putting in a new head unit would help that?

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know...

The commonly agreed opinion in forums on where the OEM HK system fails is the OEM amp, not in the OEM HU. Changing the OEM HU and keeping the OEM amp will not give you much because all the crossovers and equalization are done in the amp, not in the HU.

A good way of improving the sound of the OEM HK is to add a separate sub/amp combo while keeping the OEM HU. This will allow you to tone down the bass going to your OEM speakers (the main source of distortion and poor quality) and let the OEM amp mids/tweeters and new aftermarket sub take care of the rest. I did that to my M3 and these are the results: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=201540.

Replacing the OEM amp and speakers is still the best way of improving the sound and at the same time keeping all the OEM functions (steering wheel, Bluetooth/phone, CD Changer, AUX and iPod control if available) intact, and that is before taking in consideration how out of place an aftermarket HU will look in your dash, if it matters to you. I did that too... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=392755

If you are looking for an HD Radio upgrade that module in the above link is IMO a great option because it will give you HD Radio and iPod control with display in the OEM HU. Depending on your budget you can upgrade the amp and/or speakers/sub plus add this module -in the trunk- while keeping the OEM HU and get a great to radical improvement in overall sound quality.

couger85
05-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I looked at the links you left me, and I see JL stuff. Is that what you would recomend if I did a sub/amp add? I did not want to have to spend a lot of money on this stuff, and that was why I was looking at upgrading the HU, because I could get the HD radio, I-pod, and usb support.... and what I thought would give me better sound quality... in one shot... the only thing that I would lose or potentially lose is the steering wheel control....

I don't know anything about that HD radio unit... does the OEM HU have a connection for that unit. and I guess I mount that unit in the trunk, and maybe use an aux setting to access it?

Technic
05-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I looked at the links you left me, and I see JL stuff. Is that what you would recomend if I did a sub/amp add? I did not want to have to spend a lot of money on this stuff, and that was why I was looking at upgrading the HU, because I could get the HD radio, I-pod, and usb support.... and what I thought would give me better sound quality... in one shot... the only thing that I would lose or potentially lose is the steering wheel control....

I don't know anything about that HD radio unit... does the OEM HU have a connection for that unit. and I guess I mount that unit in the trunk, and maybe use an aux setting to access it?

For me, the JL Stealthbox is the best compromise in having a subwoofer and the trunk space. You can go with a sub box if trunk space is no concern or a Basslink just above the battery cover, for example.

That HD unit connects to the CD Changer port, using its audio, bus and power connections. So it is plug 'n play...

Maybe a compromise could be replacing the OEM HU and the speakers for aftermarket and keeping the OEM amp. That could give you some improvement depending of your budget.

couger85
05-30-2007, 08:24 AM
I thought there was something unique about the amp/speaker combo. I heard that you can't replace the speakers with out replacing the amp also?

tom @ eas
05-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Keeping the OEM HU is essential to retaining your steering wheel controls and the OEM look and feel. There are great sounding systems using the stock radio.

The HD DICE can be tucked away behind the dash to keep it completely hidden. You will notice an immediate change in sound quality once a digital station is picked up. This is the kit you need:

DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?&products_id=467

The HD DICE will allow you to receive High Definition radio broadcasts with your stock BMW system. Expect CD quality from your HDFM stations and FM quality with your HDAM stations. There are no programming fees with HD Radio and the sound is simply awesome - much better than Sirius or XM.

The kit will come with everything needed including the trunk harness and HD Micro antenna. If you would like to integrate your iPod, the option iPod cable can be purchased allowing full iPod integration. The iPod can be safely stored away in the glove compartment for 100% stealth installation and accessed completely from the steering wheel controls.

The HD DICE allows for full text display on your Radio or NAV display and looks like it was integrated from factory. A listing of HD radio stations in your area can be accessed by visiting www.hdradio.com.

Let me know if you have any further questions