PDA

View Full Version : STEPTRONIC automatic transmission 2008 535xi

gweiden
05-22-2007, 01:55 PM
With the STEPTRONIC automatic transmission, is it normal that I must push the button on the gearshifter, then push it in reverse prior to pushing it into drive? I'm thinking this is a safety feature (because so unlike the regular gearshifters in most cars) so that I don't inadvertently drive into the wall of my garage, etc. Thanks for your thoughts on this :ouch:

parodielin
05-22-2007, 02:39 PM
With the STEPTRONIC automatic transmission, is it normal that I must push the button on the gearshifter, then push it in reverse prior to pushing it into drive? I'm thinking this is a safety feature (because so unlike the regular gearshifters in most cars) so that I don't inadvertently drive into the wall of my garage, etc. Thanks for your thoughts on this :ouch:

No. I push it downward to D directly from P if I don't need use the reverse gear. The system will not requre you to go through R before getting to D. As you think through it, it makes sense. Why do I go to R before D knowing I don't need R?

I enjoy the new gear shifter from the very beginning. It's very easy to get used to for me. It goes through two gears from P to R (P-N-R) and P to D (P-N-D.) But you only need to push it once all way up or all way down, the gear will jump through N to the desired gear. When I park the car, just press the P button - no shifting at all.

There are two shifter safety features described in the owner's manual.

gweiden
05-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks. My shifter doesn't seem to want to go directly from P to D.... Hmmmm. Is it an easy push or does it require a little tug, because it's new? Maybe mine is malfunctioning.

ks-man
05-22-2007, 05:49 PM
You should never have to go to R. Pulling towards you puts it from P to N, and very minor pressure pulls it past the resistant point to go straight from P to D. I like the shifter as well, takes about two days to get used to it. My main concern is if Valet and Car wash drivers will understand how to use it.

Kamdog
05-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Someone else in the forum has the same problem. If not this one it might be in the E60 forums, do a search. He reported it about a week or so ago.

gweiden
05-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Someone else in the forum has the same problem. If not this one it might be in the E60 forums, do a search. He reported it about a week or so ago.

Thank you!!! I really think something is wrong with mine :tsk:

gweiden
05-23-2007, 04:58 PM
It's confirmed, my Steptronic gear shifter is in fact defective and has been from the start - I picked the car up seven days ago. The dealership is ordering a new gear shifter assembly.

Kamdog
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Whooo Hoooo, is this forum great or what? See what multiple minds can come up with.

Im glad dude, but, shirt, now Im worried about my own upcoming....

newbimmer
05-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Whooo Hoooo, is this forum great or what? See what multiple minds can come up with.

Im glad dude, but, shirt, now Im worried about my own upcoming....

Mine seems to work without any problems so it may be an unfortunate occurance.