PDA

View Full Version : From a 645Ci to a 550i

Tio
05-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Fairly new to this forum since I had a 6 for the last two years, but I figured I should switch to this board since I am ordering a 550i. A wife, three kids and a 6 are just not working. And, since the 7 is due for a major change soon, I didn't want to go there. So here I am with lots of questions.

After a little research, and a text drive, I have put together my order, please let me know if I am missing anything.

Carbon Black Metalic
Black Nasca Leather
Ventilated Seats
Anthracite Headliner
Dark Wood Trim
Sport Package
Steptronic
Cold Weather Package
Comfort Access
Navigation System
Head Up Display
Logic 7 Premium Hi-Fi
Satellite Radio
iPod Adapter
Power Rear Sunshade with Rear Manual Side Shades
Side Impact Bags
Tinted Windows (20% all around)
Chrome Exhaust Tips

Am I missing anything? I thought about but don't want the HD radio, night vision, rear seat heating, fold-down seats, active cruise, lane change warning or active steering.

love330i
05-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Congrat! It's a time go to BMW Service Center! To fix all crazy problems!

Deutschecar
05-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Nice combo Tio, i have almost the same car in my driveway. I dont have sunshades, but i dont have kids either. The Heads-up display is a cool feature, i regret not getting it sometimes (only because of the coolness factor, no actual utility). The car is a great drive.

GBPackerfan1963
05-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Get the ACC, you'll be sorry if you don't. I din't think I would like it either, but it works like a charm. It won't kick off until under 25 mph. So you can actually use it in slower traffic. :thumbup:

BmW745On19's
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Black is a real pain to take care of, it will swirl like hell and only looks clean for the ten minutes after you just got done drying it off.

If I were you I'd get Alpine White over Brown Nasca Leather w/ Anthracite wood w/ black headliner.

I'd get sport transmission w/ paddles over steptronic too. It's only $500.

I'd reconsider getting Active Steering. People that have it love it and wouldn't buy a BMW without it ever again. Try test driving a 550 w/ active steering for a whole day and then sleep on it.

Do ED too. :D

doug_999
05-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Agreed - I can't see getting the sport package and not getting the new sport trans (unless you want the car right now!).

jacksonhunter31
05-24-2007, 01:40 AM
My only addition would be the fold-down seats...as a parent of three myself, I use them quite often. By the way--standard on my Audi--xtra on my new 5.

Tio
05-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Get the ACC, you'll be sorry if you don't. I din't think I would like it either, but it works like a charm. It won't kick off until under 25 mph. So you can actually use it in slower traffic. :thumbup:

Not interested in ACC. The vast majority of my driving is short trips of 5 miles or less and I prefer a more "spirited" approach, i. e., I like to drive fast.

Black is a real pain to take care of, it will swirl like hell and only looks clean for the ten minutes after you just got done drying it off.

Carbon Black will be a challenge, but it will go from the garage to a covered space at my office, and I have someone who takes comes over to clean it. I believe color choices to be the most subject selection, and thankfully they have no bearing on performance. And, since the ventilated seats don't come in brown, which I think will be great in Vegas, that's not an option.

As for Active Steering, I don't have it on my 645, which I still love to drive, so I can't miss what I never had. Can I? On the fence on that one, but it is a $1,400 fence!

I am interested in the Sport Transmission, but not if it only involves the paddles. I prefer to drive one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter, which is close to the iDrive control. This has been the way I have driven my 645. Does the Sport Transmission offer any other advantages?

My only addition would be the fold-down seats...as a parent of three myself, I use them quite often. By the way--standard on my Audi--xtra on my new 5.

Don't see the reason I would need fold-down seats. Family outings that require large objects to be transported will be done in the SUV. But thanks for the input.

MRV99
05-24-2007, 09:02 AM
I strongly suggest getting the Fold down seats. for the 400 bucks it adds a ton of storage and will protect those nice seats when you need to put stuff in the back seat. I have it in my 545 and will never own one without the folding rears.

Tio
05-24-2007, 09:13 AM
I strongly suggest getting the Fold down seats. for the 400 bucks it adds a ton of storage and will protect those nice seats when you need to put stuff in the back seat. I have it in my 545 and will never own one without the folding rears.

It sounds like it works for your needs, but if it doesn't fit in the trunk, which is much larger than what I have now, it is not going in my car. I don't/won't use my car to move large objects. That's why we have an SUV. I also have access to a truck if I need it. So for me, it would be a total waste of $400. But thanks for the input.

FyteOn
05-24-2007, 01:28 PM
I have almost the exact same package. I didn't get the sun shades, however. I also didn't get the CA for a couple reasons - one, it was standard on our Lexus and I couldn't imagine paying that much for it; and two, my wife loves it because she can keep her keys in her purse - if my keys are in my pocket they may as well be put in the ignition. But that's just my opinion. Some people love CA

The only thing that I wouldn't get again is the HUD. Couple waste of money for me. Once again, some people love it. But it's not visible in the daytime with polarized sunglasses (something I didn't know until I had the car) which makes it worthless for me 12 hours a day. I live in Scottsdale and the sun is brutal - good sunglasses are an absolute must. Also, the visible edges of the box in the windshield are beyond annoying in my opinion. It's a cool idea but not well done.

I didn't bother with the folding seats (have an SUV) or the cruise control or the lane thing or active steering. The vent seats are nice - not as powerful as I thought they'd be - but it's nice to have as we start to heat up.

But check your sunglasses. Vegas is the same as here. I don't know if it will make a difference to you, but I'll never order HUD again.

Tio
05-24-2007, 01:36 PM
I have almost the exact same package. I didn't get the sun shades, however. I also didn't get the CA for a couple reasons - one, it was standard on our Lexus and I couldn't imagine paying that much for it; and two, my wife loves it because she can keep her keys in her purse - if my keys are in my pocket they may as well be put in the ignition. But that's just my opinion. Some people love CA

The only thing that I wouldn't get again is the HUD. Couple waste of money for me. Once again, some people love it. But it's not visible in the daytime with polarized sunglasses (something I didn't know until I had the car) which makes it worthless for me 12 hours a day. I live in Scottsdale and the sun is brutal - good sunglasses are an absolute must. Also, the visible edges of the box in the windshield are beyond annoying in my opinion. It's a cool idea but not well done.

I didn't bother with the folding seats (have an SUV) or the cruise control or the lane thing or active steering. The vent seats are nice - not as powerful as I thought they'd be - but it's nice to have as we start to heat up.

But check your sunglasses. Vegas is the same as here. I don't know if it will make a difference to you, but I'll never order HUD again.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on keeping a pair of non-polarized sunglasses in the car, with my polarized pair ready when I am not driving.

Bigdog
05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
I can't wait to get rid of my active steering. I liked it at first, but it feels unnatural. Maybe they have changed it since 04

aficionado
05-24-2007, 03:01 PM
You WILL need the Premium Package in order to get the Vent. Seats.

I didn't know these were options:
Tinted Windows (20% all around)
Chrome Exhaust Tips.

I vote for fold down seats, eventhough you already shot them down.

ANZAC_1915
05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
I can't wait to get rid of my active steering. I liked it at first, but it feels unnatural. Maybe they have changed it since 04

I wouldn't get AS, but I would get the HD radio and Sport shift tranny.

okiemark
05-25-2007, 04:47 AM
Does your wife like manual transmission? Mine didn't, so I opted for SMG in my year. Rethink the active steering.

BMWSTL
05-25-2007, 06:06 AM
You WILL need the Premium Package in order to get the Vent. Seats.

Nope, the features of the Premium Package are standard in the 550i. The Premium package is an option in the 528/535. Same with PDC.

Lou

Tio
05-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Does your wife like manual transmission? Mine didn't, so I opted for SMG in my year. Rethink the active steering.

My wife would not like a manual transimssion, and I like the steptronic in my 6er, so I put my order in with steptronic. And $500 for paddles didn't seem like a good idea since I have been driving with one hand on the wheel and the other on the shifter. That way I can drive in manual and have easy access to the iDrive.

Tio
05-25-2007, 07:09 AM
I have put my order in with a couple of changes.

Carbon Black Metalic
Black Nasca Leather
Ventilated Seats
Anthracite Headliner
Dark Wood Trim
Sport Package
Steptronic
Cold Weather Package
Comfort Access
Navigation System
Head Up Display
Logic 7 Premium Hi-Fi
Satellite Radio
iPod Adapter
Tinted Windows (30% all around)
Chrome Exhaust Tips
M5 Wheels
Rear Seat Coat Hanger

After driving one with active steering, I decided to pass. Biggest change in my order was the M5 wheels. Personal preference, I just think they look better than the Style 172M that comes standard on the 550i w/Sport Package. And, IMHO, the 172M looks worse in chrome. Too busy for me, looks like someone put braces on it, or as my wife said "it looks like a spider web." I also don't like the black looking exhaust tips, so I am having them switch them out for chrome.

I put my 645Ci in the newspaper and the waiting begins. Good thing my new bike should be in next week. I ordered a cruiser from a company called Electra. Sweet ride, but I will be looking forward to the end of July!

Mac Daddy
05-25-2007, 07:22 AM

Carbon Black Metalic
Black Nasca Leather
Ventilated Seats
Anthracite Headliner
Dark Wood Trim
Sport Package
Steptronic
Cold Weather Package
Comfort Access
Navigation System
Head Up Display
Logic 7 Premium Hi-Fi
Satellite Radio
iPod Adapter
Chrome Exhaust Tips
M5 Wheels
Rear Seat Coat Hanger

After driving one with active steering, I decided to pass. Biggest change in my order was the M5 wheels. Personal preference, I just think they look better than the Style 172M that comes standard on the 550i w/Sport Package. And, IMHO, the 172M looks worse in chrome. Too busy for me, looks like someone put braces on it, or as my wife said "it looks like a spider web." I also don't like the black looking exhaust tips, so I am having them switch them out for chrome.

I put my 645Ci in the newspaper and the waiting begins. Good thing my new bike should be in next week. I ordered a cruiser from a company called Electra. Sweet ride, but I will be looking forward to the end of July!

Almost identical to the 550 I pick up in Munich next Friday. I passed on the HUD, satelite radio, and shades (as well as the accessories you have), but did get HD radio. Check my sig.

Should be nice! You expect delivery around end of July? Should be about when mine makes it stateside as well...

bmwguynj
05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Holy cow! You are betting the farm on this amazing vehicle. There are not too many options you haven't gone with. Isn't this configuration getting up there into 7 Series pricing territory?

I have 3 kids also and space is always an issue (that is why we have the big SUV for the kids), however if money was no object I would probably have loved to get a 750i Sport since it's more spacious to take the family as well as clients around, however I would be sacrificing the sportiness of the 550i. Either way you can't go wrong!

doug_999
05-25-2007, 03:36 PM

Although nothing has been officially written from BMW, most would say that Active Steering has been improved dramatically since 04.

jschulman
05-25-2007, 07:53 PM

Carbon Black Metalic
Black Nasca Leather
Ventilated Seats
Anthracite Headliner
Dark Wood Trim
Sport Package
Steptronic
Cold Weather Package
Comfort Access
Navigation System
Head Up Display
Logic 7 Premium Hi-Fi
Satellite Radio
iPod Adapter
Chrome Exhaust Tips
M5 Wheels
Rear Seat Coat Hanger

Did you buy the car through a local dealer? I had really bad luck with them so I ended up purchasing the car through a dealer in IL (doing ED). I am getting a 535i with some of the sameoptions (deep sea blue with beige nasca, I agree that ventilated seats should be useful here in LV).

Tio
05-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Did you buy the car through a local dealer? I had really bad luck with them so I ended up purchasing the car through a dealer in IL (doing ED). I am getting a 535i with some of the sameoptions (deep sea blue with beige nasca, I agree that ventilated seats should be useful here in LV).

I did use the local dealer, but it is my 6th BMW and I have known my salesman for over 30 years, so maybe that helped. I waited 8 years on Colgin's waiting list before being able to order from them, so I can be patient. And, I am driving a 645Ci while I wait, so it won't be so bad. But after reading this I did call him today and ask if I was on some type of waiting list. He said no and that I would be driving it by August. But he didn't say if that was August 2007 or 2008 :eek:.

jschulman
05-31-2007, 08:10 PM
I did use the local dealer, but it is my 6th BMW and I have known my salesman for over 30 years, so maybe that helped. I waited 8 years on Colgin's waiting list before being able to order from them, so I can be patient. And, I am driving a 645Ci while I wait, so it won't be so bad. But after reading this I did call him today and ask if I was on some type of waiting list. He said no and that I would be driving it by August. But he didn't say if that was August 2007 or 2008 :eek:.

Glad to hear that you have a good relationship with the local dealer, I think you are one of the first people I know who do. I am worried about service though as one of the dealers said if I didn't buy from them, I wouldn't be a high priority (even if I bought it from the other dealership who is owned by the same group).

I am driving a 323i so I am content as well. Another six weeks, and I will be in Europe.

I was going to go with black nasca with the anthracite headliner, but thought that might be a little too hot when it is 110 outside (hence the beige). Part of me still wants that black though but I won't be making any changes as the car entered status 112 which means my car is likely to go into production early next week, and I don't want to make any changes that I won't be able to change later.

Tio
06-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Glad to hear that you have a good relationship with the local dealer, I think you are one of the first people I know who do. I am worried about service though as one of the dealers said if I didn't buy from them, I wouldn't be a high priority (even if I bought it from the other dealership who is owned by the same group).

I am driving a 323i so I am content as well. Another six weeks, and I will be in Europe.

I was going to go with black nasca with the anthracite headliner, but thought that might be a little too hot when it is 110 outside (hence the beige). Part of me still wants that black though but I won't be making any changes as the car entered status 112 which means my car is likely to go into production early next week, and I don't want to make any changes that I won't be able to change later.

I bought my 645Ci from a private seller in 2005. While I have not found their service to be terrible, I find it helps to throw your service advisor a $20.

JSpira
06-01-2007, 05:18 PM

You should be able to raise the intensity of the HUD and that should compensate for the polarized sunglasses. Worked for me.