PDA

View Full Version : Street Names in Perspective...When??

ks-man
05-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Anybody heard when they will add street names to the perspective map? It seems so ridiculous that it isn't there. I think perspective is the best way to view, but what is the point without the street names. You gotta figure BMW is planning on fixing this in the future.

Would you speculate it would be an update to the Progman, a new DVD or would a whole new car be needed to add this functionality (definitely hoping it isn't the third as I won't be replacing this one for a while).

Rubber Ducky
05-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Anybody heard when they will add street names to the perspective map? It seems so ridiculous that it isn't there. I think perspective is the best way to view, but what is the point without the street names. You gotta figure BMW is planning on fixing this in the future.

Would you speculate it would be an update to the Progman, a new DVD or would a whole new car be needed to add this functionality (definitely hoping it isn't the third as I won't be replacing this one for a while).
Man, I hate that idea.

The screen clutter would be bad and the font size would have to be squinty. Put the arrow display on the right panel and perspective on the left. I find that very useful and would always want that option over a cluster of streetnames covering the map.

ks-man
05-24-2007, 05:18 PM
I want it more for when I'm driving without a destination. I like leaving the map on all the time in either the main or assistant window. There is no point without street names. We have a Garmin 360 in the other car. They have a 3d display with street names on a smaller screen and it doesn't look cluttered at all.

Rubber Ducky
05-24-2007, 05:29 PM
I want it more for when I'm driving without a destination. I like leaving the map on all the time in either the main or assistant window. There is no point without street names. We have a Garmin 360 in the other car. They have a 3d display with street names on a smaller screen and it doesn't look cluttered at all.
Once again, try it with the arrow display on the right side. Shows street name you're on, GPS lat/lon coordinates, altitude (not much use here in Florida). And is readable.

ks-man
05-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Once again, try it with the arrow display on the right side. Shows street name you're on, GPS lat/lon coordinates, altitude (not much use here in Florida). And is readable.

Arrow display will only work when you have a destination programmed in. It is grayed out if you are just cruising with no destination.

Rubber Ducky
05-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Arrow display will only work when you have a destination programmed in. It is grayed out if you are just cruising with no destination.
Wrong. All the info, just no arrow.

ks-man
05-24-2007, 06:45 PM
What are you talking about??? You can not select arrow display without a destination. This is true in my car as well as a bunch of people on this board. Don't be so quick to say I am wrong when I assure you it isn't there.

Rubber Ducky
05-24-2007, 06:57 PM
What are you talking about??? You can not select arrow display without a destination. This is true in my car as well as a bunch of people on this board. Don't be so quick to say I am wrong when I assure you it isn't there.
My bad - it's called 'Current Position." Were I underway and not parked in my garage, the street name would appear above the lat/lon and below the North arrow on the right panel. Regret crappy foto, but you get the idea...

ks-man
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh I see...I'll have to try that. Are you saying that it tells you the street you are driving on in Current position? While nice that still wouldn't get me exactly what I want since I like to see the nearby streets and I also typically have my map in the Assistant Window with my Entertainment in the main window.

What they should do is:
1: Give you the option to have Street names on and off (especially in Perspective)
2: Put your Entertainment Source in the Assistant Window.

Obviously the more options the user has, the better. About screen clutter, take a look at the Garmin Nuvi 350/360. You'd be surprised how easy it is to include street names on a 3D display (like Perspective) yet still have all of your information available. You would probably only want to see it on a close in scale. What the Garmin does on further back scales is it cuts down to just major roads since there are more side streets.

Bimmer4life
05-26-2007, 09:49 PM
ks-man,

I admit to not knowing much about the Navi but I ordered one. I only really played around with the current Navi at the dealer only once, yet I still ordered it.

So you mean that in Perspective view, if your just crusing around there are no street names on the map? Say you are in a unfamilar neighborhood you don't see street names on the Navi map? That seems weird, How would you know what street your on if it doesn't give you the name of the street on the map? Maybe I'm not understanding. Do you have the latest Navi? When I tested the IS350 with the Navi, it had street names in Perspective View, just cruising around I could see what street I was on making turns and stuff. The BMW Navi is not like that?

Thanks

ks-man
05-27-2007, 08:39 AM
It only has street names in the Map Facing North and Map Direction of Travel. These are both 2D maps. If you switch over to Perspective (3D view) you lose the street names. I pretty much use Direction of Travel all the time. It seems pretty stupid that you don't get them for Perspective.

On another thread people said they like using Perspective when you have a programmed route in. Then you get another window available called Arrow Display and the map has a white line indicating the route. I could see this being useful but I haven't tried it yet. I do like Arrow Display when I am taking directions from the navi. However I still think it would be helpful to have all the street names and not just the one you are on.

I'm hoping BMW fixes this with a future software release. I think the problem is that the most zoomed in scale is 400ft. I looked at our Garmin and when it is zoomed in all the way it would probably be the equivalent of 200 or 100 ft. This way there aren't as many streets to name at once.

Bimmer4life
05-27-2007, 01:35 PM
I think the problem is that the most zoomed in scale is 400ft. I looked at our Garmin and when it is zoomed in all the way it would probably be the equivalent of 200 or 100 ft. This way there aren't as many streets to name at once.

Do you mean that in Perspective view you can only zoom in 400ft, what about Map Facing North and Map Direction of Travel can you zoom in more than 400ft to see street names?