PDA

View Full Version : run flats and how to get rid of them

pww71
05-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi,

Right after our car came back from ED last summer I changed the tires on our 525i for Pilot Sport A/S'es.

I tried selling the run flats (with only 1200 autobahn miles) on local forums and expo.live.com, but no one seems to want them.

Any other way to make them go away other than thrash them? What did you do? :dunno:

Thanks!
pww

BLT
05-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi,

Right after our car came back from ED last summer I changed the tires on our 525i for Pilot Sport A/S'es.

I tried selling the run flats (with only 1200 autobahn miles) on local forums and expo.live.com, but no one seems to want them.

Any other way to make them go away other than thrash them? What did you do? :dunno:

Thanks!
pww

A couple of car control clinics and 2 or 3 AutoX events will wear them out and allow you to learn a good deal about your cars limits.

irobinson
05-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I hate those things too. Can't wait for them to be changed.

w5lx
05-25-2007, 05:30 AM
Send them to me. I love them on my car. Great handling and great ride with the added security or continuing my journey if the tire goes flat. I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE050's and they have been great.

Russ Williams
05-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Glad to hear somebody loves them even though I think they suck.

BLT
05-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Send them to me. I love them on my car. Great handling and great ride with the added security or continuing my journey if the tire goes flat. I have the Bridgestone Potenza RE050's and they have been great.

Can't you at least offer to pay postage?

M6OnTheWay
05-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Run flats are the worst invention ever!!!

Ugly Bear
05-27-2007, 09:16 AM
+1. I decided to give RFTs a chance and kept them for a month. Had pretty bad experience when AWD car was unstable at 75 mph in rain and wind and seemed to pick directions to move on its own. Changed Goodyear RFT to regular Potenza 960AS Pole Position and happy now.

Also, it is sort of weird selection. on 530xi you can get regular 17" wheels, but if you want 18", you have to take summer RFTs. Why on AWD car the only 18" tires available are summer tires? At least they should have been decent all seasons...

SC400
05-28-2007, 08:40 AM
+1. I decided to give RFTs a chance and kept them for a month. Had pretty bad experience when AWD car was unstable at 75 mph in rain and wind and seemed to pick directions to move on its own. Changed Goodyear RFT to regular Potenza 960AS Pole Position and happy now.

Also, it is sort of weird selection. on 530xi you can get regular 17" wheels, but if you want 18", you have to take summer RFTs. Why on AWD car the only 18" tires available are summer tires? At least they should have been decent all seasons...

Couldn't agree more. The RFT's are history as soon as our 535xi returns from ED. Next problem is where to get dollars for RFT's with only 800 miles on them. BMW didn't think this one through real clearly.

doug_999
05-28-2007, 10:16 AM
How about ebay? Should at least get something!

I know there are some people who really like them for their intended purpose. Others will need them for lease returns - they will sell for sure.

SC400
05-28-2007, 11:31 AM
How about ebay? Should at least get something!

I know there are some people who really like them for their intended purpose. Others will need them for lease returns - they will sell for sure.

ebay could be tough, the shipping would be as much as the tires. Nobody would want to pay the transportation costs.

abe
05-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Craigslist.

doug_999
05-28-2007, 05:24 PM
ebay could be tough, the shipping would be as much as the tires. Nobody would want to pay the transportation costs.

I assure you plenty of people would do it - especially those at lease end.

edit: Just checked completed listings...plenty would be an overstatement - still they sell - for about what shipping costs are (I'm seeing them sell for about $30 a tire plus $30 or so in shipping cost - per tire). Still better than paying someone to take them.

vern
05-28-2007, 07:04 PM
+1 with the Dunlop's and you get a free set if you have problems before 20,000 miles. Hard to beat that and also hard to get rid of them. Love em.
cheers
vern