PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

Artful_Track
05-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Ok its a 528 its has heated seats,Nav,IPod adapter,Xenons,and prem. he is offering 49975 the car is 50275 and he is telling thats the best he could do because of advertising fees and stuff like that. Do you guys think this a fair price??

abe
05-25-2007, 01:24 PM
I assume that the 50K number is the MSRP. What's the invoice price?

Artful_Track
05-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I assume that the 50K number is the MSRP. What's the invoice price?

He said the invoice is 47435 because of advertising fees

thebolt99
05-25-2007, 01:42 PM
I just ordered a 2008 528i with Prem, Auto, Xenons, Sat Radio for $47000. This is in NJ

stream
05-25-2007, 01:46 PM
That is...not...a good deal. I'd find another dealer or 2 to put in the mix.

E60s generally have ~ 9% profit at MSRP, and the numbers below from the dealer show a 5.6% profit, so something isn't right. The MACO fee is 1% of base invoice (probably ~$400 on this car), so that's not the difference.

I'd suggest getting the invoice & MSRP pricing docs (sticky in this forum) so you know for sure what the MSRP and invoice are--not that a dealer would ever mislead somebody... ;)

If you can get it for $1,000 over invoice, I'd say it's a good deal. My guess is invoice is ~$45,750 (9% profit at MSRP), so $46,750 would be a good deal. That car has ~$4,500 in profit at MSRP, and he offered you a $300 discount. :confused:

Artful_Track
05-25-2007, 01:56 PM
The is what he said "I cannot. Please understand that at my offer, I am not charging you the $300 in transport fees I have to pay. I am not charging you for the $150 it costs me to detail these cars. I am giving you a sale price on a car that is not here. I do not want to miss your business over a couple of hundred dollars, so I will tell you what.
My final offer is $1,250 discount and I am done."

FyteOn
05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Next.

Based on the invoice then $47k seems like a good price - especially after Bolt already said he got one for $47k.

It seems you're paying about $2k more than the lowest you will get. So then it becomes your choice. You can book the $2k loss as time saved or you can start calling, faxing, emailing every dealership in the south and try to get a better deal. I think transport fees from as far as Atlanta are about $400 so you're looking at a max savings of $1600. It really depends how much you value your time and/or how much you want to establish a relationship with your dealer.

HPIA4v2
05-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Hang around this board a couple of days, this should give you plenty of ideas on what people are paying for theirs.
BUT, don't try to get a deal somebody had in California in your area (New-Orleans I gather). California dealer list is 3 pages long at BMWUSA, how many dealers in your state?

At the end, you decide how badly you want the car; everything else is mute.

Look at the bright side, at least that dealer counter-offer you; I've got a dealer who doesn't even reply my email back after seeing my offer. :bigpimp:

stream
05-25-2007, 04:21 PM
The is what he said "I cannot. Please understand that at my offer, I am not charging you the $300 in transport fees I have to pay. I am not charging you for the $150 it costs me to detail these cars. I am giving you a sale price on a car that is not here. I do not want to miss your business over a couple of hundred dollars, so I will tell you what.
My final offer is $1,250 discount and I am done."

Dealer BS. The items in bold above are included in destination & handling and dealer preparation, which is included in the invoice & MSRP. As I said, find a few other dealers.

stream
05-25-2007, 04:32 PM
BUT, don't try to get a deal somebody had in California in your area (New-Orleans I gather). California dealer list is 3 pages long at BMWUSA, how many dealers in your state?

It's true that there are a lot of dealers in CA, but it's the 7th largest economy in the world, so supply meets demand. ;)

Based on my experience buying lots of high end cars, getting a good deal in CA is a lot harder than most places.

Turns out there are lots of people with more money than brains here, who pay whatever the dealers ask. Many savvy people buy from out-of-state dealers since the local dealers think they're entitled to premium prices.

HPIA4v2
05-25-2007, 05:34 PM
the old Cisco, Intel crowd. And now maybe Google.
I feel your pain, I got squeezed by MSFT folks, Oh crap, is June bonus month for MSFT folks. I heard the bonus could be around 15% of salary this year. I better get my car order now :rofl:

Maybe I need to be more specific, So-Cal folks seems to be getting better deals. And lately East-coast.

Jeremy - BMW
05-25-2007, 06:04 PM
if the car is on the lot, his offer is not very good. if he has to dealer trade for the car, it might not be too bad. i would tell him you are an informed buyer and that you know you can do better elsewhere. if he still will not budge, be ready to travel to another dealer after working a better deal.

Artful_Track
05-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Well This Dealer is actually in texas because the New Orleans dealer wanted me to pay full MSRP.

My08535i
05-25-2007, 09:08 PM
I work for a dealership for almost 2 years now, in sales. The mark-up is actually 8%, and after PDI (shop charges) when the vehicle arrives take 1-2%, so we are left with 6%. Im willing to make deals, but I need to make something, I usally discount 2%, 3% if I have to.