PDA

View Full Version : looking for nav system for 545i

racorrente
05-27-2007, 10:30 AM
I just bought a 2004 545i and found out it has no nav unit, i have the screen obviously but thats it. I was woundering if anyone knows where i can buy a nav unit or if anyone has one for sale?

nahugry
05-29-2007, 12:24 PM
I think that you need to change the screen as well, because the navigation uses bigger screen than that with only the iDrive.
All e60 navigation unit will work with other e60's regardless of their trim.
The navigation unit is really hard to find due to the fact that people simply don't take them out....-_-
Plus supply of junk e60 far undercuts the demand.

Maddog-99
05-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I am in the same position as I have a 545i, 2004, with no Nav.
The above post is correct.
BUT, if you want NAV Id recommend getting an aftermarket solution, ie: from best buy.
Garmin & Magellan are highly rated by CR (or go to cnet.com). The stand alone portable units will have more functionality, possibly give you traffic conditions, & allow Bluetooth speaker phone, mp3 playback, etc, depending on model you want. Any 07 portable will be superior to the 04 BMW install option.

Will cost you about $6-700 for a top end unit. To do the install you are talking about would be over $1K.
The con is it would be a stand alone unit & not integrated into iDrive.

bmwfanwashdc
06-05-2007, 12:55 PM
i have a 545i with no nav. i thought i could upgrade for around 2k at dealer. there is no such upgrade or aftermarket soln. even if you found salvaged car with nav, the installation, upgrade of software etc would be expensive. i have garmin 660 and it works great.

ademitt
06-05-2007, 04:08 PM
I do not believe you can retrofit NAV on the E60.

On Nav equiped vehicles, the main computer is a CCC. On non NAV vehicles, it is a M-ASK unit. The main electrical bus is for either a CCC or M-ASK. My understanding is that the bus cannot be altered, in other words, the bus would have to be replaced in order to add the CCC.

Not possible or feasible unless you want to spend $$$.

quackbury
06-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I have one I will sell you - and I will throw in a bridge in Brooklyn to sweeten the deal!

jtp1947
06-06-2007, 05:23 PM
I do not believe you can retrofit NAV on the E60.

On Nav equiped vehicles, the main computer is a CCC. On non NAV vehicles, it is a M-ASK unit. The main electrical bus is for either a CCC or M-ASK. My understanding is that the bus cannot be altered, in other words, the bus would have to be replaced in order to add the CCC.

Not possible or feasible unless you want to spend $$$.

I had mine retrofitted a couple of years ago for $1800 when BMW was offering it to early production E-60's for the original option price. So, it can be done if your car is pre-wired for it option 6UA I believe but finding the parts is another story.

adgrant
06-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Any 07 portable will be superior to the 04 BMW install option.

Disagree completely. Any factory installed unit will be superior to any portable.

Will cost you about $6-700 for a top end unit. To do the install you are talking about would be over $1K.
The con is it would be a stand alone unit & not integrated into iDrive.

The factory installed unit is around $2000 if installed at the factory. A retro fit would be even more expensive. A Garmin Nuvi 660 is probably the best option in this case.