PDA

View Full Version : Hud ?

dwwbkw
05-28-2007, 07:52 AM
I've ordered a 2008 535i for ED in September, and have been thinking of complementing my NAV option by adding the HUD option to my order. I've seen a number of pro and con remarks in this forum about the Heads Up Display - you either like it or you don't. My question is: can you manually turn it off/on in case you don't want to use it for every driving situation? Your comments about using it will be much appreciated! :)

jeffmatt
05-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Yes you can turn it off. There is a small button by the headlight switch that allows you to turn it off. At least that is the way it is on a 650 and I would assume it would be the same on a 535.

abe
05-28-2007, 08:10 AM
I've *heard* good things about it, but never seen it myself. I think one of the things I will enjoy about it (if and when I order it) is that it will also give NAV directions as well. Or am I mistaken?

chuck92103
05-28-2007, 08:11 AM
I've ordered a 2008 535i for ED in September, and have been thinking of adding the HUD option to my order. I've seen a number of pro and con remarks in this forum about the Heads Up Display - you either like it or you don't. My question is: can you manually turn it off/on in case you don't want to use it for every driving situation? Your comments about using it will be much appreciated! :)

Like it or don't? I would say 99% love it. Can't imagine anyone not liking HUD. :dunno:

FYI, you most likely will never turn it off.

gjwilson
05-28-2007, 08:28 AM
I've *heard* good things about it, but never seen it myself. I think one of the things I will enjoy about it (if and when I order it) is that it will also give NAV directions as well. Or am I mistaken?

On my X5 with HUD, there are a total of 4 things which can be displayed
1) speed
2) nav directions
3) cruise control
4) control messages

You can select which of these you want on or off.

The position on the windscreen can be moved up or down and brightness of the image can be changed.

The speed can read in MPH or KMPH, which is handy if you travel back and forth between Canada and US for example.

EdCT
05-28-2007, 08:33 AM
I loved Hud, it's one of my favorite movies :D

Ed

Spyder
05-28-2007, 09:52 AM
HUD and Nav are a marriage made in heaven. While driving on unfamiliar roads through Europe, I used this combo all of the time. On familiar roads in the LA area, the most important Nav feature for me is RTT. I use the HUD mostly to monitor speed.

FyteOn
05-28-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm one who has voiced displeasure with HUD in the past. It's fine at night. It's worthless in the day for me because I wear polarized sunglasses and HUD doesn't appear. As the post above mentioned, in Europe it was great for directions - out here I just use it for speed. It's certainly not worth the money in my opinion since glancing down at the spedometer isn't that taxing. But I believe I'm in the minority here.

SouthBayM5
05-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I LOVE the HUD. I was on the fence about it when I bought my M5, but it has to be one of my favorite features and I have never once regretted getting it. It helps you keep your eyes on the road and it is wonderful when paired with the navigation system. As a side benefit, since you are the only one who can see the direction arrows from the nav, you alway look like you know where you are going to your passengers! Also, I honestly feel like I speed less, since the speed is always there right in my face (great for when a cop is on your butt). When I ordered my wife's 535, it was one of the first features that I added to the build list. I hope this helps!

Oh... and for this guy:

I'm one who has voiced displeasure with HUD in the past. It's fine at night. It's worthless in the day for me because I wear polarized sunglasses and HUD doesn't appear. As the post above mentioned, in Europe it was great for directions - out here I just use it for speed. It's certainly not worth the money in my opinion since glancing down at the spedometer isn't that taxing. But I believe I'm in the minority here.

I hate to be master of the obvious, but get some different glasses!

cwohughes
05-29-2007, 12:00 AM
I would definitely go with HUD, I have it on my 2008 model and I love it. To comment on what Spyder said it also helps to monitor your speed. I would say go for it.

FyteOn
05-29-2007, 02:52 AM
You're the master of something... I live in brutal sunlight year round, why would I change my glasses (which cost about half of HUD invoice) to see how fast I'm going when my eyes can scan 2 inches lower and see the spedometer? I wouldn't get HUD again, but as I said, I'm in the minority.

FloridaBimmer
05-29-2007, 08:48 AM
On my X5 with HUD, there are a total of 4 things which can be displayed
1) speed
2) nav directions
3) cruise control
4) control messages

You can select which of these you want on or off.

The position on the windscreen can be moved up or down and brightness of the image can be changed.

The speed can read in MPH or KMPH, which is handy if you travel back and forth between Canada and US for example.

:jawdrop: YOU CAN CHANGE THE POSITION OF THE DISPLAY???? How? I have 550i and I've never seen that ability. Could you please tell me how to do it? Sometimes I have to adjust my seat position in order to see the display better.

Would sure appreciate enlightenment and thanks!

dwwbkw
05-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks 'festers for the great comments!! I definitely will add HUD to my list of options. FyteOn, I can understand your problem with the bright sunlight in Arizona, but here in Puget Sound that is much less of a problem. Believe it or not, we do get nice sunny days here during the summer, but not enough to give me a problem using the HUD. I don't use polarised sunglasses.

SouthBayM5
05-29-2007, 12:14 PM
:jawdrop: YOU CAN CHANGE THE POSITION OF THE DISPLAY???? How? I have 550i and I've never seen that ability. Could you please tell me how to do it? Sometimes I have to adjust my seat position in order to see the display better.

It is my understanding that they can tweak the location of the projector in the housing at the service center, allowing you to move the image up and down. They can only fix it one position for you, so I don't think it is an self-adjust thing. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And to the OP, good choice. You won't regret it.

chuck92103
05-29-2007, 12:24 PM
It is my understanding that they can tweak the location of the projector in the housing at the service center, allowing you to move the image up and down. They can only fix it one position for you, so I don't think it is an self-adjust thing. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And to the OP, good choice. You won't regret it.

Starting in 07 with cars with the updated iDrive (i.e. bookmark buttons), you can adjust the height of HUD via iDrive.

For now, the now the 5 series and X5. The rest of the models with HUD will have it shortly.

gjwilson
05-29-2007, 12:43 PM

I have an X5 and maybe it's different, but on mine I go to Setting->Display setting->Heads up Display->Brightness and Position

This is a split screen which lets you change either the Image's Brightness or it's vertical position

hinckley
05-31-2007, 05:08 AM
I have an X5 and maybe it's different, but on mine I go to Setting->Display setting->Heads up Display->Brightness and Position

This is a split screen which lets you change either the Image's Brightness or it's vertical position

It is different on the X5, which does allow you to change the position of HUD via iDrive. That function is not available on the 5er. However, as stated earlier, the 5er's HUD height can be adjusted by your service department. Not as convinient as the X5, but it is doable.

FWIW, I got HUD on my 04 545 as a toy, but soon learned that I couldn't live without it. As stated by others, it is especially useful in combination with Nav. It was a no-brainer option for me on my 08 550.

merklebob
05-31-2007, 02:06 PM
its takes a good while to get the feel of the hud. after that uou'll miss it when driving other car. both my 5 and 6 series would turn off.

FloridaBimmer
05-31-2007, 03:30 PM
I did find a technical article on the WEB regarding how to change the position of the HUD and it requires removing the iDrive display, moving a couple of wires, removing a clip, and then you have one of 3 adjustments. Since I want my car to continue to function normally--that is prior to my becoming a mechanic--I think I'll just leave it alone :rofl:

By the way one feature that I never thought was of much use till I no longer had it is displaying the turn signal indicators in the HUD. I had that on the HUD in my Corvette and I guess that I never realized how much I used it. It would be great if BMW did the same thing and displayed the arrows in the HUD while the turn signal was activated. It seems that my combination of height, seat position, and steering wheel position quite effectively block my vision of the little green arrows. Oh well no big but after having it I find I would like to have it back.

SouthBayM5
05-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Starting in 07 with cars with the updated iDrive (i.e. bookmark buttons), you can adjust the height of HUD via iDrive.

For now, the now the 5 series and X5. The rest of the models with HUD will have it shortly.

You know, I looked on my 08 535xi... all I could find was a brightness adjustment and what functions you want displayed. Am I missing something? I didn't see anything that resembled a height adjustment in the menu.

ChrisDressler
06-01-2007, 12:24 AM
You know, I looked on my 08 535xi... all I could find was a brightness adjustment and what functions you want displayed. Am I missing something? I didn't see anything that resembled a height adjustment in the menu.

It sounds like this setting is actually only available on the X5, not on the 5er's... (above posts)

abe
06-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I did find a technical article on the WEB regarding how to change the position of the HUD...

Link?

doug_999
06-02-2007, 09:25 AM
HUD is a must have in an M5 and a nice option in the reset of the 5-series. With the M5 it will display the gear you are in, but you don't get that with the rest of the 5-series (and since we no longer have SMG, it is not needed really). I choose Comfort Access over HUD as I wanted to stay out of the 70K range - but as pointed out most people like/love it and some people find it distracting or just not worth it.

chuck92103
06-02-2007, 09:30 AM
I can see where some would find HUD distracting. It is much easier to take your eyes off the road to check speed or nav. :confused:

I would still choose HUD over comfort access without question. You can get CA on an Altima, but not HUD. :thumbup:

The issue I have with CA is iDrive needs time to boot. The computer starts booting when the car is unlocked from afar. With CA you get to wait for the computer, PDC, rear camera, etc. to come up before you can drive. I would find this very annoying. It should be called Comfort Delay.

Spyder
06-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Chuck, as impatient as I am with iDrive response time in general, I have never noticed any delay between entering the car and being able to drive off. I have an '07 650 with CA, but I didn't order CA for wifey's 535 (ED 22 June).

OTOH, IMO HUD is a must-have. It's on my 650 and will be on the 535 as well.

Murtaza
06-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I can see where some would find HUD distracting. It is much easier to take your eyes off the road to check speed or nav. :confused:

I would still choose HUD over comfort access without question. You can get CA on an Altima, but not HUD. :thumbup:

The issue I have with CA is iDrive needs time to boot. The computer starts booting when the car is unlocked from afar. With CA you get to wait for the computer, PDC, rear camera, etc. to come up before you can drive. I would find this very annoying. It should be called Comfort Delay.

Can't you unlock the car through the keyfob?

Spyder
06-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Yes

doug_999
06-02-2007, 01:49 PM

Right - skip the options that are available on other mfg's cars - good idea! :tsk:

Of course HUD was available on the 1993 Altima.....