PDA

View Full Version : How will a 5-series AWD do in the snow with stock tires?

stingray1381
05-28-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm upgrading from an Impala FWD that would basically roll through anything Wisconsin weather could throw at me. I'm wondering how a 5-series would do with stock tires. I don't have any desire to have to change to snow tires. Thanks.

schnell525
05-28-2007, 10:35 AM
I have an 07 525xi that I got in January--we had a rough winter in NW PA, about 120 inches. The car came with Goodyear Eagle RSA V rated (I do not like Goodyear products). To my surprise, going through some really ugly snow storms (2 footers, slush, ice with wide temp ranges) the tires more importantly xdrive worked extremely well.

I'm used to Audi's quattro system, which is excellent. BMW's x is a close 2nd. I think you can run all-seasons as long as there is decent tread. If you absolutely need to go somewheres, I'd throw on a set of snows just for some added security. Dunlop Wintersport M3s are great tires.

When the stock tires run down, I'll swap out with another set of all-seasons.

ExGMan
05-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I have a 2007 530xi with OEM Continentals (all-season) which went through its first not-very-dramatic winter this year. Mrs. ExGMan said that anytime there was anything slippery on the roads, she felt very confident, and had no fears about traction. I drove the car in what was our only real Boston snowstorm with 8-inches on the ground. I thought it handled the snow competently, but was not great. I think I'd have preferred some dedicated snow tires. Perhaps it would have been better behaved with the DSC off and DTC on?