PDA

View Full Version : Expert driving tips

Roger Sherman
05-29-2007, 03:59 PM
What's the best technique for taking tight turns without any skidding/screeching ?

I was told by the BMW sales rep to:

1) Come in wide from the outside-> in.
2) Brake slightly close the turn to transfer car weight to the front.
3) Turn, and start accelerating mid-way into the turn.

For me it works sometimes, but sometimes it does not.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Lanc3r
05-29-2007, 04:10 PM
If you are not skidding or screaching, you are not pushing hard enough. :p

So the answer to your question would be to slow down.

In order to be fast as possible through a corner you need a perfect line, confidence, and experience.

von_zoom
05-29-2007, 06:14 PM
What's the best technique for taking tight turns without any skidding/screeching ?

My advice, sign up for a HP driving school and learn a lot more than merely making your car turn. Besides, you will not only learn but will enjoy seeing what your car will do.
vz

AzNMpower32
05-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Sign up for one of those performance driving schools offered by your local BMW CCA chapter. BMW also offers them at their centre in Spartanburg, SC. Not cheap for the latter though.

And yes, if you're not squealing the tires, you're not pushing hard enough :D

If you don't want squeal, just slow down. The key to good driving in general, is smooth movements. They say pretend a string is attached to your foot and the steering wheel. Brake in a straight line, transition to turning (off the brake), accelerate as you unwind the wheel.

Of course, lately I've been having great success kicking the rear end of my X3 out by flicking the steering wheel and braking at the same time. But that's a lot of tire squeal drama :p