PDA

View Full Version : 550i Ordered

medman2k1
05-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Guys,

I have gleaned much useful info from the site, so thought I might contribute.
I placed an order for Jet black 550i and X5 4.8 for the wifey this weekend.

The 550i is my car-Jet Black
Sport Package
STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission
BMW On-Board Navigation System
Comfort Access
Head-Up Display
Split-folding rear seats and ski bag
Power Rear Sunshade/Manual Rear Side Window Shades
SIRIUS Satellite Radio
iPod/USB Adapter
HD Radio
Logic 7 Premium Hi-Fi System

I skipped the anthracite headliner though in hindsight I maybe should have ordered, o well there is always the next car.
I was contemplating getting the sport auto transmission, but could not find any good info on it, so I skipped it.....like I said there is always the next car.

BTW I am in S. florida.

I will post pics when it arrives...early july is what i am told

I will post the X5 info in the X5 forum

M6OnTheWay
05-30-2007, 04:43 AM
congrats....love the 5 series, always will...one of the best sedans out....best of luck

Swift
05-30-2007, 06:11 AM
Congrats. But why get the ski bag when you are in Miami?

M5-BEAR
05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
If you just ordered your 2008 550i Sport it's not too late to change the order. What color is the interior? If it's black you probably should order the Anthracite headliner. The grey headliner distracts from the Black/Black combo. IMHO. If you don't have black/black, then I guess the grey might work out. What color trim did you order?

All the best.

Bear

beauport
05-30-2007, 10:19 AM
If you just ordered your 2008 550i Sport it's not too late to change the order. What color is the interior? If it's black you probably should order the Anthracite headliner. The grey headliner distracts from the Black/Black combo. IMHO. If you don't have black/black, then I guess the grey might work out. What color trim did you order?

All the best.

Bear

Bear, is the Anthracite headliner option on the BMW NA site? I just looked through "build your own" and didn't see it. Thanks.

abe
05-30-2007, 11:02 AM
medman, what sort of deal did you get? Sounds like an excellent setup. :)

medman2k1
05-30-2007, 11:39 AM
thanks for the comments

I ordered black leather with bamboo trim

I got almost 3k off msrp w/ base acq fee and mf(.0018)

my car is in 112 status, perhaps i can shoot an e-mail to my ca and see if i can still add the anthracite headliner.....500 for a different color? good thing you cant money to the grave

BMWSTL
05-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Bear, is the Anthracite headliner option on the BMW NA site? I just looked through "build your own" and didn't see it. Thanks.

It's a "priority one" option available through your dealer when you order a car. I's not shown on BMW's web site (nor are the napa leather or ventilated seats options). Add $500 MSRP ($465 invoice).

Lou

M5-BEAR
05-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Don't know if it's on the BMW NA site.
If you're near a BMW dealership, drop in and see it in person ... Good luck.. :) :)

Bear

doug_999
05-30-2007, 02:48 PM
I personally like my light colored headliner - the anthracite one is just too dark for my tastes - just me of course.

HOWEVER, get the sport auto!! Much faster shifts and the 0-60 should be quicker as well. If you are getting the sport package this should be a no brainier.

M5-BEAR
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
thanks for the comments

I ordered black leather with bamboo trim

I got almost 3k off msrp w/ base acq fee and mf(.0018)

my car is in 112 status, perhaps i can shoot an e-mail to my ca and see if i can still add the anthracite headliner.....500 for a different color? good thing you cant money to the grave

Anthracite Is well worth the money. When I bought mine there was a 2008 550i Sport black/black/bamboo/grey headliner right next to mine. The grey wasn't nearly as attractive as the anthracite IMHO :dunno:

All the best,

Bear

Tio
05-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I personally like my light colored headliner - the anthracite one is just too dark for my tastes - just me of course.

HOWEVER, get the sport auto!! Much faster shifts and the 0-60 should be quicker as well. If you are getting the sport package this should be a no brainier.

Other than the paddles on the steering wheel, what is the difference between the Steptronic and the Sport Auto Transmission? The dealer told me it was just the addition of the paddles, if that is true than I pass. If there is something else that they didn't know about, I think I still have time to make that change. I have had the Steptronic in my 6 series and I typically drive in manual mode with the sport button on.

doug_999
05-31-2007, 01:57 PM
Other than the paddles on the steering wheel, what is the difference between the Steptronic and the Sport Auto Transmission? The dealer told me it was just the addition of the paddles, if that is true than I pass. If there is something else that they didn't know about, I think I still have time to make that change. I have had the Steptronic in my 6 series and I typically drive in manual mode with the sport button on.

No, it is a new transmission with much quicker shift times. I will see if I can dig up the info.

edit: God I hate people that don't know what they are talking about (that would be me). Now I'm seeing that the changes might be in all of the transmissisons!

medman2k1
05-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Ok guys you convinced me

I just fired off an e-mail to my CA to add sport auto and anthracite headliner

I am still confused about the sport auto myself, It seems like it is a new transmission setup, more than programming as in all published literature there are no weights or 0-60times published BUT........I find it hard to believe BMW is going to charge 500 other than a new type of gear shift and paddles, hopefully Im wrong.

I will let you know if it gets added

Those 2 items will cost me $29 more month by my calculations.....hope they are worth it!

Shut up 29 is 2 lap dances plus tip......j/k

doug_999
05-31-2007, 04:15 PM
Shut up 29 is 2 lap dances plus tip......j/k

I'm moving to Miami! That's a deal!

Tio
05-31-2007, 05:20 PM
No, it is a new transmission with much quicker shift times. I will see if I can dig up the info.

edit: God I hate people that don't know what they are talking about (that would be me). Now I'm seeing that the changes might be in all of the transmissisons!

According to the Owner's Circle, I am still in on order mode. So I have a limited amount of time to change to the sport transmission. If it is only the paddles, again I will pass. Does anyone know where I can find out if anything else is involved? I have a call into BMW, but I will probable have a CS by the time I hear back. It just seems that $500 wouldn't get me anything but a couple of paddles, but who knows? Thanks for any help.

medman2k1
05-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Unfortunately my car is in production.....so no anthracite headliner and no sport auto...

Like I said life goes on, cry me a river, I will somehow try to survive with my setup for the next 36 months...

Thanks for all the congrats and info

BMWSTL
05-31-2007, 09:12 PM
I am still confused about the sport auto myself, It seems like it is a new transmission setup, more than programming as in all published literature there are no weights or 0-60times published BUT........I find it hard to believe BMW is going to charge 500 other than a new type of gear shift and paddles, hopefully Im wrong.

I was looking at the 2008 manual, and here's what it says:

You can shift manually with paddle shifters. Pull to shift up, push to shift down.

You can select Normal or Sport, refer to Dynamic Driving Control.

That is stated to be as follows:

*speed range is optimally utilized;
*gearshifts are faster;
*engine responds more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements;
*steering responds more spontaneously to steering wheel movements;
*in the automatic mode, 6th gear is not engaged.

So it's more than just paddle shifters, it engages different control responses (software driven I imagine)

To activate, push the"Sport" button.

To deactivate (and this is interesting!): press the Sport button again; engage reverse gear; switch engine off.

So to get out of the Sport mode, you need to pull over and turn the car off. If you're on the highway and want to use the feature, turning it off is not just "push the button." Not having 6th gear at highway speeds when you're done playing could be a royal pain, unless 6th is available in manual mode. :dunno:

Lou

doug_999
06-01-2007, 08:56 AM

To deactivate (and this is interesting!): press the Sport button again; engage reverse gear; switch engine off.

So to get out of the Sport mode, you need to pull over and turn the car off. If you're on the highway and want to use the feature, turning it off is not just "push the button." Not having 6th gear at highway speeds when you're done playing could be a royal pain, unless 6th is available in manual mode. :dunno:

Lou

No, I bet any of those three will take it out of sport mode.

BMWSTL
06-01-2007, 10:09 AM
No, I bet any of those three will take it out of sport mode.

I read the manual as "and", not "or." I believe you are correct.

Lou

Tio
06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
I was looking at the 2008 manual, and here's what it says:

You can shift manually with paddle shifters. Pull to shift up, push to shift down.

You can select Normal or Sport, refer to Dynamic Driving Control.

That is stated to be as follows:

*speed range is optimally utilized;
*gearshifts are faster;
*engine responds more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements;
*steering responds more spontaneously to steering wheel movements;
*in the automatic mode, 6th gear is not engaged.

So it's more than just paddle shifters, it engages different control responses (software driven I imagine)

Lou

Thanks, but as of this morning, my car is shown to be in production. So I don't think I can make any changes. I guess this puts me in a June 2007 build with a delivery by the beginning of August. I believe things work out for a reason, so maybe I was suppose to take the wife to dinner with that $500?

doug_999
06-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks, but as of this morning, my car is shown to be in production. So I don't think I can make any changes. I guess this puts me in a June 2007 build with a delivery by the beginning of August. I believe things work out for a reason, so maybe I was suppose to take the wife to dinner with that $500?

Well, you can always re-order :)

I did that with for the Comfort Seats. Dealer just re-ordered the car - they were none too pleased to have two Monaco Blue 550s coming in (Blue does not sell well here in the Midwest) - alas they did it.

sdatta
06-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Hey Guys
Just wondering about the fun factor. Is the sport auto tranny as much fun to drive as the manual? Are the paddles practical for everyday use of just a gimmick? I'm carefully considering my choices for ED of a 550 next summer (june). Will the new 2009 model be available by then? Any power upgrades expected with the 09 model year? I suppose this may all be speculation at this point.

Sam