PDA

View Full Version : iTunes-compatible CD-changer

C3Po
05-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Ok, so now that Apple has started selling DRM-free (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/05/30itunesplus.html) music from the iTunes music store, the natural question is: when will a 6 CD-changer be available for BMW that is capable of playing back DRM-free music from the iTunes music store (encoded in the MPEG-4 AAC format)? I'm aware that hardware interface units are available to connect my iPod, but I like the idea of having 70 hours of music in my car without having to bring it with me every time I climb in. :)

el_duderino
05-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Will never happen. No one is going to spend any development dollars on delivering hardware to play an optical disc when the iPod - or if you prefer, digital memory media players (which is the iPod, commercially) owns the market.

tom @ eas
05-31-2007, 10:09 AM
Correct, Apple sells the AAC files for their iPod & iTunes - not CDs. Get rid of the changer and go with the ipod kit for your e90.

C3Po
05-31-2007, 10:58 PM
Perhaps so. I hope it turns out differently, however. Alpine, Kenwood, and Pioneer are already selling auto receivers/players that support DRM-free AAC files on CD-R's. Why would they adopt a different strategy for disc changers? BMW OEM changers are available that support MP3 and WMA file playback. Future development dollars may be driven more by readily available retail music content (where the iTunes Music Store dominates) than by specific types of media players.

That said, my patience may wear thin before any such CD-changers arrive on the scene...