PDA

View Full Version : Oil level...

M6OnTheWay
06-03-2007, 10:31 AM
I know we use oil, I've read all about that...but I have driven 430 miles and I am down to .2 liters... I have to add a quart, but this is during break in, which oil do I use? Thanks in advance

Malibubimmer
06-03-2007, 10:46 AM
I know we use oil, I've read all about that...but I have driven 430 miles and I am down to .2 liters... I have to add a quart, but this is during break in, which oil do I use? Thanks in advance

You MUST use Castrol 10W 60. In a pinch the Manual (if you read it we will not geld you) says you can use a different oil, and specifies a few, but during break in I think you need to use 10W 60. Only Castrol makes it, and only BMW sells it. While the car is now telling you to add oil, you can add it when the electronic dipstick shows 0.0L. You will want to add up to a litre (quart), depending on how much your electronic dipstick tells you is "left."

M6OnTheWay
06-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks Mal...I skimmed through the manual and read that but wasnt sure if it applies to break in period...Guess I will have to wait till tomorrow, they are all closed around me today. I have .2 liters remaining...I drove about 40 miles today and it burnt .2 liters...So I guess I have to take it easy until tomorrow.

Malibubimmer
06-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks Mal...I skimmed through the manual and read that but wasnt sure if it applies to break in period...Guess I will have to wait till tomorrow, they are all closed around me today. I have .2 liters remaining...I drove about 40 miles today and it burnt .2 liters...So I guess I have to take it easy until tomorrow.

It often takes several hours of driving for the oil level to settle to the correct level, so this may have been from yesterday's driving. It is normal. Keep driving.

M6OnTheWay
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
I did...up to 475 today!!! Stayed at .2 liters so thats good...tomorrow I will go pick up some oil

Malibubimmer
06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Almost half way there. My service light (for the 1200 miles service) came on at 1125, so you are getting close!

M6OnTheWay
06-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Yep...thank God...according to my car I was do for service around 1150 I think...so its only a matter of time