PDA

View Full Version : e39 factory speakers powered by aftermarket amp. How?

Vipsa
06-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Like the title states. I want to upgrade my system in my 2000 528 w/out DSP. I already installed an amp and sub but want to get a little more out of the stock speakers. So how much power can the stock speakers put out and what would be a reasonable amp to get? Also how would I get around the whole crossover issue? Any info is greatly appreciated.

el_duderino
06-10-2007, 04:27 AM
Speakers don't put out powr, they accept power.

They are made to take about what power they are getting now. Any more risks blowing them up.

I know that a shop used to do BMW upgrades using the MB Quart Musicomp 3-way passive crossover on the BMW speakers. I have no idea how correct the math works out - passive crossovers are very dependent on the impedance curves of the speakers they are used with, and shouldn't be PFA'd - but they said they never had a problem.

They are no longer made, but here's (http://cgi.ebay.ca/MB-QUART-MCX-328-Musicomp-Crossovers-3-way_W0QQitemZ280119467864QQihZ018QQcategoryZ18800Q QcmdZViewItem) what you would want.

I suspect you'll end up taking out the OEM front speakers and going with a good two-way solution with an aftermarket amp. I recommend the DLS UP5 and the Zapco DC200. the EQ in the amp will let you take max advantage of the ported enclosures in the door. The UP tweeter is a great sounding tweeter which will fit in the sail with a little filing of the tweeter grille.