PDA

View Full Version : stock amp + HU amp = overheating?

smokar
06-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Ok, I am a newbie, just got my bimmer (02 530 no dsp/nav) few days ago and want to install Pioneer D3 unit. My local installer told me that if I connect the new HU to the stock amp (to preserve crossovers) it will cause both of them to overheat and eventually one of them will go out. Is this true?

I have searched around this forum and others trying to figure out if I can upgrage to D3 without compromising existing sound quality, but now I am more confused than ever, some say keep the amp, others say no and the installer said you can't keep both. Any suggestions to have the new HU and keep the sound without loosing too much doe?

SuperTech325is
06-15-2007, 02:23 PM
hey there, ok here is the differance..... if you keep the amp, Yes it will work but only for a matter of time. Why?...bacause the stock amp is designed to work only with the stock head unit. This is why you would need to install a crossover. Haveing the crossover installed will only hold back the current from the new HU for a matter of time, resulting in over heating. Your best bet is to go with an after market amp there not too expensive, a 200-300 watt amp would be plenty of power for the stock speakers. If you going with a bad ass D3 unit, for sure go with an aftermarket amp, yoll only be spending another couple hudred dollers. Well worth the extra money in the long run...

Ken@BSW
06-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Ok, I am a newbie, just got my bimmer (02 530 no dsp/nav) few days ago and want to install Pioneer D3 unit. My local installer told me that if I connect the new HU to the stock amp (to preserve crossovers) it will cause both of them to overheat and eventually one of them will go out. Is this true?

I have searched around this forum and others trying to figure out if I can upgrage to D3 without compromising existing sound quality, but now I am more confused than ever, some say keep the amp, others say no and the installer said you can't keep both. Any suggestions to have the new HU and keep the sound without loosing too much doe?

We've never seen any issues with the factory amplifier related to an aftermarket head unit. One of the guys here (Halston) has had an aftermarket head unit in his 99 M3 for 3+ years, and he plays his music at fairly close to full volume most of the time he is in the car. He has yet to have any kind of issues.

In your E39, all you will need is the American International EWH-1010, K-500, and the EU-6 antenna adapter. Keep in mind - you will lose functionality of your OBC.

smokar
06-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks Ken & Supertech for your input. Like I said, everyone has different opinion. I guess I just have to take a chance with the D3 and see what happens or just get DICE.

el_duderino
06-18-2007, 03:07 PM
No, not everyone has a different opinion - some people have a correct opinion and then there is everyone else.

SuperTech doesn't know what he's talking about on this one, Ken at BSW does.

The OEM amp is looking for speaker level in. You got a deck with speaker level out - voila.