PDA

View Full Version : Which BT module for my '05 M3? (rather long)

prof330i
06-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Which module to get Bluetooth working in my car?

I have a 2005 M3, build date 03/2005. The car has Navigation and Competition package (so no steering wheel controls). I have 3 potential modules I could use to get Bluetooth working, and I am looking for advice on which will work the best. I have the Motorola TCU which came with the car (#1 below); a second (newer) Motorola TCU I bought off ebay for my old car but never installed (#2 below) and an older 6th generation Visteon ULF (#3 below) that I had in my previous car (a 330i).

#1 The car came with a Motorola Assist/Bluetooth module:
84.11.6946993 built 23-01-2005 SW:27 HW:35
It has a Bluetooth device number and passkey printed on the label.
When I hit the phone button on the Nav nothing happens. The phone light on the Nav is red. When press the button marked with the tool symbol (the help button next to the SOS button) on the rear view mirror, the Nav screen indicates that Assist is disabled. There is no Bluetooth signal seen by my phone.

#2 A Motorola Assist/Bluetooth module I bought off e-bay
84.11.9120844 built 14-07-2006 SW:32 HW:35
It has a Bluetooth device number and passkey printed on the label. When I connect it in to the car, there is no Bluetooth signal seen by my phone but I can use the phone screen on the Nav to enter a phone number to dial. It acts like itís dialing (with a dial tone, and the dialing beeps) but nothing connects. Strangely when press the button marked with the tool symbol (the help button next to the SOS button) on the rear view mirror, nothing happens

#2 A Visteon Bluetooth only ULF module I had installed in my other car.
84 21 6 955 522 (6th generation with voice dialing SES)
This module does not have Assist. I believe it does have voice control capabilities for the Navigation system but I have not tried it as my previous car did not have Nav. I assume to get this to work I would need to get a pairing button and install it as it was required in my other car to pair with my phone. I have not tried installing this in the M3 (yet). I probably also need a bluetooth antenna(?).

Questions
What is required to get these modules running? And what are the advantages/disadvantages? I thought that #1 and #2 would be interchangeable, but they donít behave the same way when installed.

Do I need a Bluetooth antenna or other wiring to get either Motorola TCU #1 or #2 bluetooth working? Will either have voice control for the Navigation or voice dialing? Is voice control a separate module for these Motorola TCUs? Do these need to be programmed at the Dealer to get the bluetooth to work?

What do I need to get the Visteon ULF working? A pairing button and Bluetooth antenna? I had some flakiness with my phone with this Visteon module (my phone is a Treo 650) but overall it worked OK. I was hoping that one of the Motorola TCUs would work better.

b-y
06-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Do these need to be programmed at the Dealer to get the bluetooth to work?

This is only a guess, but it is a semi-educated one--I believe the answer is "yes". To get either of these to work you need to get the car re-programmed by the dealer.

Technic
06-18-2007, 04:54 AM
I posted my answer in the E46Fanatics, but for general information: item #1 should be still under warranty, there's no need to be swapping used modules with it. Take the sucker to the dealer and make them deal with it.

Item #2 is unnecessary.

Item #3 requires a pairing button to work, yes. But in your particular configuration (ZCP with Nav) the Phone preparation is different from the standard "Option 640": there is no steering wheel Phone button although the Assist TCU in that production date included Voice Activation, which required that particular button for activation. So it could be possible that there is no pairing button wiring either in the center console for the installation of an ULF. That has to be checked first...

prof330i
06-18-2007, 05:56 AM
Update (and thanks Technic):

Turns out I was too slow in starting the pairing process for the first TCU (the one which came with car). If I pair it quickly after starting the car, the bluetooth works.

I also tried this with the newer TCU, but that one doesn't pair. It's odd, I would think both should work and since I'd like to sell one, it would be nice if I could get them both working.

With respect to voice activation, it's interesting that I may not be able to get it to work with ZCP and Nav. I'm not too upset as I should be concentrating on driving the car rather than talking to it. Still I wonder a button could be installed to get it to work...Does anyone (Technic?) know what wiring to look for and where for the steering wheel button that's missing? A button could be installed in the center console to replace the steering wheel button.