PDA

View Full Version : Performance mods

Mdk330i
02-16-2003, 10:03 PM
A friend of mine just picked up a 2003 525i. He wants to increase hp with easy DIY products because he leased it. What brands/types of stuff is available? So far I only found the BenFer CAI. I figure the Dinan CAI is a difficult install like the E46 one. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

jzdinan540i
02-17-2003, 07:24 AM
modding a leased car? LOLOL
DInan is your only choice, keep your warranty adn let the dealer install it. PS you need S/w for this mod.

Mystikal
02-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Heh, probably would have ended up cheaper just to lease a 530i when he's done.

HP is not easy on M54 engines.

Mdk330i
02-17-2003, 07:22 PM
What my friend wants is something to boost horsepower that is easily installed and removed. So after the lease, he'll take everything off and sell it. I told him the best thing was to get the 530i but he couldn't afford it. It's too late now, because he already got the 525i.
Dinan software is out of the question because it cannot be deprogrammed without paying extra to remove it from the OBC. Something like Shark Injector is doable, but now out yet.

Mr Paddle.Shift
02-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Hey Dave,

I think the "safe" mod will still be a CAI of any brand. Another way to get more horsepower is perhaps to play around with the hp/weight ratio. :)

Mdk330i
02-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by VinceTopasBlau3
Hey Dave,

I think the "safe" mod will still be a CAI of any brand. Another way to get more horsepower is perhaps to play around with the hp/weight ratio. :)

Carbon Fiber??:D
J/K

Anyone know the difficulty of DIY for E39 Dinan CAI?

jzdinan540i
02-20-2003, 10:30 AM
A) Dinan can only be installed by a dealer, otherwise no warranty support.
B) All s/w can be removed, so who ever gave you that line of BS is well full of BS.
C) The only mod that can be installed easily and removed is the CAI. Otherwise you are just wasting your time and money. Don't expect much either, you might notice about 4hp.

Greco
02-20-2003, 12:23 PM
Last I checked the Dinan CAI required teh removal of the front bumber for installation. For a typical Joe this is not something "simple".

jzdinan540i
02-20-2003, 12:31 PM
its not hard at all, besides you can't just buy Dinan parts and install them yourself (you void all waranty), but for removal I wouldnt sweat it.

Mr Paddle.Shift
02-20-2003, 12:32 PM
I think what jzdinan540i meant was that out of all Dinan mods, the CAI is perhaps the easiest. It took me 1.5hrs to install on my E46. And Dinan suggested 3.5hr labour at the dealer.

And the dealer will charge a 1/2 labour to removed the program. Then again, since Dinan is now covered under CPO BMWs. Might as well leave it on. :bigpimp:

Mr Paddle.Shift
02-20-2003, 12:33 PM
Depending on the dealer. I installed the TB and CAI myself and still covered under warranty.

Originally posted by jzdinan540i
its not hard at all, besides you can't just buy Dinan parts and install them yourself (you void all waranty), but for removal I wouldnt sweat it.

Mdk330i
02-24-2003, 08:48 PM
B) All s/w can be removed, so who ever gave you that line of BS is well full of BS.
C) The only mod that can be installed easily and removed is the CAI. Otherwise you are just wasting your time and money. Don't expect much either, you might notice about 4hp.

I am aware that the s/w can be removed. But it would be a waste of money to load/unload since 0.5 hr labor each to download and remove.

The main problem is that the car is leased. So installing software/parts and leaving it on would be nothing but a waste of $. If the part is removable, then at least it can be sold and some of the money recoup. And so far the only thing I can think of is CAI.

jzdinan540i
02-25-2003, 08:08 AM
this is a huge waste of time, you answered your own questions.

Dustin540/6
02-25-2003, 01:16 PM

Agreed.

jzdinan540i
02-25-2003, 01:18 PM
where you been D?
You're never online anymore huh?
Whats new?

Dustin540/6
02-25-2003, 01:28 PM
just sent you a pm. things have been real hectic, to say the least.

jzdinan540i
02-25-2003, 01:38 PM
right back at ya, I really hope things get better.

Dustin540/6
02-25-2003, 01:49 PM
thanks. they will get better, just going through a ****@y part of the cycle.

Mdk330i
02-25-2003, 07:35 PM

Hey, I was just trying to pick you 5er guys' brain to see if there are any alternatives (to what I already know) to increasing the power of the car.

DanB
02-25-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Mdk330i
A friend of mine just picked up a 2003 525i. He wants to increase hp with easy DIY products because he leased it. What brands/types of stuff is available? So far I only found the BenFer CAI. I figure the Dinan CAI is a difficult install like the E46 one. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

No offense to your buddy, but a leased 525i and performance (power-wise) aren't complimentary. I'd pay $2500 to get a Dinan stage II suspension installed and then have it taken off when the car is returned. Aside from that, I wouldn't do a thing to it.

-DanB

jzdinan540i
02-26-2003, 02:13 PM
LOLOLOL
Or do a transplant, and pull it right before returning it. Why mod a leased 25?
At least you can sell a used motor hahahaha

mola
03-10-2003, 05:15 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22942

:-)

theasiansource
07-18-2003, 06:09 AM

ONLY 4 HP W/ SOFTWARE AND CAI? I thought u would get 11hp. THats what the dealer and dinan said. Should i get the ESS Chip instead?

mottati
07-18-2003, 03:48 PM
remove, it really is easy to do at home. As for warranty, i had dinan flash the software and took the cai home and installed it myself. never had a warranty issue, and when i got a print out on my e46 before i traded it in, it listed the dinan cai, and software. Not sure about the warranty deal.

But honestly, the only thing you can gain from is suspension, the engine mods will waste your time UNLESS you do a supercharger. Check out esstuning.com. they make a 525 model that puts you at a claimed 270ish hp, and you can remove it. of course you now have a 525 that cost more than a 530.....
Mike

JEM
07-19-2003, 04:27 PM
I think 4HP sounds realistic, 11HP is marketing-literature numbers. After six months it might be zero, 'cause the cone filters have less filter area than the OEM paper type. Bear in mind the factory intake is a 'cold air' intake - that is, the snorkel gets its air at the grille opening. So the only real question is whether the stock intake represents a restriction at the kind of airflow that the engine requires.

theasiansource
07-19-2003, 08:31 PM
I think 4HP sounds realistic, 11HP is marketing-literature numbers. After six months it might be zero, 'cause the cone filters have less filter area than the OEM paper type. Bear in mind the factory intake is a 'cold air' intake - that is, the snorkel gets its air at the grille opening. So the only real question is whether the stock intake represents a restriction at the kind of airflow that the engine requires.

Have you heard of benfer cold air intakes? i believe they are the same as the Dinan.