PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on my stereo upgrade...

cls550
06-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Here is what I plan on doing. Let me know if it's possible(2000 528)...

Headunit- Pioneer DEH-P5900iB

Front Comps(No rear fill): Alpine Type-R SPR-13S
Amp: Alpine MRP-F550
Subs: Alpine Type-R SWR-1042D x 2

The Alpine amp will push the subs, but I want the factory amp to push the comps. Is it worth my time doing it this way or should I just bypass the factory amp and get another amp for the comps? Is the factory amp strong enough to push the comps? Will the amp even work with an aftermarket HU?

Any Thoughts?

Ken@BSW
06-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Here is what I plan on doing. Let me know if it's possible(2000 528)...

Headunit- Pioneer DEH-P5900iB

Front Comps(No rear fill): Alpine Type-R SPR-13S
Amp: Alpine MRP-F550
Subs: Alpine Type-R SWR-1042D x 2

The Alpine amp will push the subs, but I want the factory amp to push the comps. Is it worth my time doing it this way or should I just bypass the factory amp and get another amp for the comps? Is the factory amp strong enough to push the comps? Will the amp even work with an aftermarket HU?

Any Thoughts?

The new head unit and your factory amplifier will integrate just fine together. Keep in mind, however, when using an aftermarket head unit, you will lose functionality of your OBC.

I do question your amplifier choice, however. Do you currently own this amplifier, or can you still choose another? I question it simply to ask what the reasoning behind that amplifier choice is. I would instead choose the SWR-1044 dual 4 ohm subs instead, with a mono amp rated for 1 ohm.

As far as the Type R components, I have no experience with the 5.25" model. Unfortunately, you are going to need to remove your factory speakers first to see if they will even fit in the factory enclosures. Also, the Type R's aren't all that efficient, and will more than likely be struggling a bit when being ran from your factory amplifier.

el_duderino
06-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Any Thoughts?

The Alpine amp will push the subs, but I want the factory amp to push the comps. Is it worth my time doing it this way?

No.

... should I just bypass the factory amp and get another amp for the comps?

Yes.

Is the factory amp strong enough to push the comps?

No, but thats not the reason. Your comps want a stereo signal that isn't pre-crossoed-over. the 5 amp is crossoed over already.

Will the amp even work with an aftermarket HU?

As long as it's not DSP, yes. But you are married to the OEM speakers in the E39 until you replace the amp.

cls550
06-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I currently have everything set up in my car right now except for the HU. The apline amp is currently pushing one of the 10's and the comps. I think from reading this I will use the amp I have now to push the comps and get a mono amp for the subs and also install the new HU. Thanks again for the advice, it was very helpful info. BTW, the only reason I am changing my HU is because I wanted something better to controll my ipod and I wanted to be able to control the bass output from the subs.

mosearch
03-14-2009, 01:07 PM
The new head unit and your factory amplifier will integrate just fine together. Keep in mind, however, when using an aftermarket head unit, you will lose functionality of your OBC.
r.

Ken;
What exactly do we mean here...steering wheel controls will not function? or whole darn car OBC...including fault codes and dash reminder notices will not function? Or what? :confused:
I MIGHT be able to live with the former...but NO OBC?:thumbdwn: