PDA

View Full Version : Here's my plan. What do you think?

Plaz
02-01-2002, 01:03 PM
Okay, so I'm taking delivery in about two weeks.

I don't want "swirl city," but neither am I a crazed OCD-suffering anal detail freak. :confused: (Though I admire those who are.) :D

Here's my plan as far as detailing... sound like a good middle ground?:

1) let Cutter's boys do the prep.

2) if they create swirl city, in a week or two:
- wash with dawn
- P21s paintwork cleanser
- P21s carnauba

2a) if they don't create swirl city, in mid-June:
- wash with dawn
- P21s carnauba

In the mean time, bring to touchless car wash (probably "Blue Wave" on Santa Monica at Federal in West LA) weekly.

Sound reasonable?

Guest84
02-01-2002, 05:59 PM
Plaz, sounds like a good plan to me, the only thing I know nothing about is touchless car washes...I do everything strictly by hand myself.

If you haven't used P21S Paint cleaner and Wax, you're gonna love it.

Guest84
02-01-2002, 06:03 PM
Incidently, I was split on decision like yourself regarding dealer prep...decided I wanted them to do it, risking swirls, since Delivery day is a special day, you do want the baby clean. My swirls were very minimal, but present...didn't bother me, I personally couldn't wait to detail it myself...matter of fact I'm going nuts here in WA state, lots of snow, rain, no nice weather...think I'll go look at some of my delivery day pictures.:)

johnlew
02-01-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Plaz 330i
In the mean time, bring to touchless car wash (probably "Blue Wave" on Santa Monica at Federal in West LA) weekly.

Sound reasonable?

Touchless in my city is great...HOWEVER, my first and last experience with the bimmer there is that my aluminum trim around the window turned cloudy after using. The culprit was the soap. I was told it is worse in warm weather. I'm going to try it tomorrow perhaps, when it's in the twenties. If you use it and the trim turns cloudy it can be restored with very, very fine steel wool or NevRdull wadding or combination of both. I had no problem with either of my Benzs there but they have no aluminum trim.

Plaz
02-02-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Plaz, sounds like a good plan to me, the only thing I know nothing about is touchless car washes...I do everything strictly by hand myself.

I wish I could... I live in a condo, and it's against the homeowners association rules to allow car washing or repairs in the underground garage.

VinceTB goes to a busy rent-a-stall manual car wash on the weekends, but I hate those things -- there's always a line of cars behind you pressuring you to finish and get out.

I plan on borrowing a friend or relative's driveway three or four times a year for wax jobs, but it would be a bit of an imposition to do that weekly for the wash.

Plaz
02-02-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by johnlew

Touchless in my city is great...HOWEVER, my first and last experience with the bimmer there is that my aluminum trim around the window turned cloudy after using. The culprit was the soap. I was told it is worse in warm weather.

Excellent word of caution... if that happens, I'll fix it as you describe, then only go to the hand wash place in Culver City... it's just that that's much farther away from me, and will probably take much longer since they're so busy.

Think a good coat of wax on the chrome would prevent the tarnish?

GTI
02-02-2002, 01:43 AM
Plaz:

Beware of what Cutter uses to prep your paint.

I believe my dealer used only a quick detailer to prep my car.
That could have been a good thing actually.
Actually I have seen another BMW dealer prep a car in progress and he does use a quick detailer only. (I forgot what he used actually since I wasn't into detailing at all and that was before I order my 330i)

Dealer wants to cut down the time to prep cars and they usually put the car in the showroom floor inside right after a clean/prep waiting for you to pick up. So some kind of shine is good enough.
They make sure it is clean; Shine is not a high priority.

If that is the case there is no way it will last you thru mid-June. It wouldn't even last till next weekend.

I recommend you do a full detail (at least dawn wash/wax) after delivery. Use a synthetic (Zaino/Klasse/Blackfire/Meg.#20) if you will not be detailing it often. Carnuba wax will last only 3-4 weeks and probably less if you go thru automatic washes weekly.

My 2 cents.

bol
02-02-2002, 02:04 AM
My dealership unfortuantlly powerpolishes the cars when they come in and leave a lot of nice swirls on every finish.

HORRAY! :mad:

MAK
02-02-2002, 05:26 AM
Herb Chambers in Boston did a nice job preparing my car. They but a nice wax on the car and left very minimal swirl marks (since removed). I think they did an excellent job and would have them prep my next purchase.
Mike

Plaz
02-02-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by GTI
Plaz:

Beware of what Cutter uses to prep your paint.

I believe my dealer used only a quick detailer to prep my car.

THanks for the advice. I'll be sure to find out exactly what they use, as my fingers aren't educated enough to know by touch.

Plaz
02-02-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
Remember, it's not the chrome, it's the aluminum.

Hmmm... where is there aluminum that's not chromed on a 330i?

(Thanks again for the advice)