PDA

View Full Version : '00 E46 325ci Convertible. Audio upgrade advice.

Grif
06-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi all,
Love the forum!!!!
OK, I love my baby, but the stereo sucks! :-) It's the straight forward Business HU with Seperate MidRange and tweeter on the front doors and a coaxials (i think) in the 2 rear panels. No shelf becasue of the hood! Not a HK, so, no amp, just 6CD changer.

So. What i'd like to do is upgrade all the speakers to something that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Maybe JBLs? for direct replacement and then I also have this "InPhase" sealed sub unit that i'll throw in the trunk (yep, i know there's no vent/armrest but i'm willing to live with it to get a bit of extra ooomph!)

I'd really like advise on what speaker replacements i should use, for maybe about the $400 mark. I'd also like advise on an Amp that can drive the speakers and sub. Do i need a 5-way amp?

I'd really like to keep the stock HU if possible.

Also, would the car have to be rewired?

Thanks for advice!!!

Cheers
Grif

el_duderino
06-26-2007, 05:26 PM
If you are looking at upgrading the amp, I recommend abandoning the 3-way front speaker architecture and going with a two-way with a tweeter that plays low into the mids. The DLS UP5 fits the bill and should be readily available in Ireland (easier to find in the EU than the US!)

Personally, I'd upgrade the fronts and get a 3-channel amp (DLS CA31?) and leave the rears on the OEM amp. Worry about the fronts and the sub for now, when on a budget - it's where the best ROI comes from.

Grif
06-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the reply!
OK, I'll look in to the DLS solution. Will they fit directly into existing mounts? or will i need a carpenter :-)

I have a contact that can get me Fusion gear at good price, no idea how good/bad it is or even if they do 17cm speakers.....

You mention leaveing the rears on the OEM Amp, you mean leave them driven off the HU?

Any ideas on an Amp? Have guys in here telling me to get a 4-way AND a mono for the sub :-(

Thanks again for your help

In relation to 3-way, pretty sure us Euro's only have 2-way up front?

Cheers

Ken@BSW
06-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the reply!
OK, I'll look in to the DLS solution. Will they fit directly into existing mounts? or will i need a carpenter :-)

I have a contact that can get me Fusion gear at good price, no idea how good/bad it is or even if they do 17cm speakers.....

You mention leaveing the rears on the OEM Amp, you mean leave them driven off the HU?

Any ideas on an Amp? Have guys in here telling me to get a 4-way AND a mono for the sub :-(

Thanks again for your help

In relation to 3-way, pretty sure us Euro's only have 2-way up front?

Cheers

If the vehicle has the basic standard system, then yes, it is a 2-way up front, and only 2 speakers in the rear instead of 4, and all are powered from the factory head unit rather than an amplifier like the rest of the systems. As far as I know, the Hi-Fi and the Top Hi-Fi are identical to what we have in the US as a standard and HK-equipped vehicle, both being amplified 10-speaker systems.

Grif
06-27-2007, 08:00 AM
If the vehicle has the basic standard system, then yes, it is a 2-way up front, and only 2 speakers in the rear instead of 4, and all are powered from the factory head unit rather than an amplifier like the rest of the systems. As far as I know, the Hi-Fi and the Top Hi-Fi are identical to what we have in the US as a standard and HK-equipped vehicle, both being amplified 10-speaker systems.

From what i can tell the base system here is similar to the base system in Canada. I have no amp in trunk, only cd changer. There are 2 speakers up front, mid & tweeter and 2 in the rear passenger sides. The HK is available here but i dont have :-).