PDA

View Full Version : Can't get a straight answer on XM for '05 325i

KevinH
06-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Every source tells me something different.

I simply want XM installed in my 2005 BMW 325i. I want it fully integrated with the Business Unit CD player so that I don't have an add-on dashboard controller and can use my steering wheel controls. I want the XM information (station name, song title, artist, etc.) displayed in my CD player where it normally displays the CD track or radio station or time.

Is this possible, who can do it, and how much should it cost?

LDV330i
06-27-2007, 10:18 AM

I simply want XM installed in my 2005 BMW 325i. I want it fully integrated with the Business Unit CD player so that I don't have an add-on dashboard controller and can use my steering wheel controls. I want the XM information (station name, song title, artist, etc.) displayed in my CD player where it normally displays the CD track or radio station or time.

You will need to buy an XM Direct kit. I will cost under $200. Do a search in B'fest for comments and installation procedure?

KevinH
06-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I thought that was all I had to do but the high school dropouts running my local Best Buy insist I need to buy some interface device directly from BMW.

LDV330i
06-27-2007, 04:46 PM
I thought that was all I had to do but the high school dropouts running my local Best Buy insist I need to buy some interface device directly from BMW.The interface is the Blitzsafe box that comes with XM Direct. Best Buy does not sell XM Direct.

Ken@BSW
06-27-2007, 06:37 PM
The interface is the Blitzsafe box that comes with XM Direct. Best Buy does not sell XM Direct.

This is correct. We sell the XM Direct kit, but it is currently on backorder. We have been having trouble getting the BlitzSafe adapters from our suppliers.

tom @ eas
06-28-2007, 10:45 AM

This is the kit you need:

XM Direct Satellite Radio Package for BMW & Mini
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=20&products_id=267

This will get XM integrated into your BMW with full steering wheel and text display, and retain your CD Changer or iPod kit.

These are always in stock, ready to ship. :)

KevinH
06-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks all.

Tom, how hard an install is it? I bought a Flash2Pass system from you a few months ago and that was the first install I've ever tried to do. Fortunately, it was ridiculously easy but I'm guessing the XM Direct system is a bit harder?

Also, I see the kit has a magnetic antenna. I assume that's designed to be mounted on the roof. I already have a sharkfin on my roof so I'd prefer to not have another antenna up there. Is there a cleaner, less obtrusive place to mount the antenna and still get good reception?

I'm guessing there's no way to use the sharkfin that's already there, huh?

tom @ eas
06-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks all.

Tom, how hard an install is it? I bought a Flash2Pass system from you a few months ago and that was the first install I've ever tried to do. Fortunately, it was ridiculously easy but I'm guessing the XM Direct system is a bit harder?

Also, I see the kit has a magnetic antenna. I assume that's designed to be mounted on the roof. I already have a sharkfin on my roof so I'd prefer to not have another antenna up there. Is there a cleaner, less obtrusive place to mount the antenna and still get good reception?

I'm guessing there's no way to use the sharkfin that's already there, huh?

I would be more surprised if you couldn't do it - simply plug the XM Direct into the pre-existing CD Changer connections and you're good. Typically, we install the antenna underneath the rear parcel shelf behind the passenger headrests to conceal the antenna completely.

KevinH
06-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. But I do have a couple more questions.

First, I'm not sure what location your referring to when you say "underneath the rear parcel shelf." Are you talking about having the antenna completely covered by the back shelf (basically in the trunk) or sitting on that shelf. ON the shelf would be fine, as it's inside the vehicle and only really visible if you're outside the car and looking through the rear window. UNDER the parcel shelf seems impossible. Doesn't the antenna need a clearer view of the outside?

Second, I got a quote for this exact install from a local dealer. It was over $200 for just the labor. That's why I started looking at Best Buy. If the install is really this easy, why is a shop (a very good shop and highly recommended) charging over $200? The only thing I can think of would be if the install was easy (skill-wise) but took a long time and I'm simply paying for the technician's hours.

Any thoughts?

tom @ eas
06-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. But I do have a couple more questions.

First, I'm not sure what location your referring to when you say "underneath the rear parcel shelf." Are you talking about having the antenna completely covered by the back shelf (basically in the trunk) or sitting on that shelf. ON the shelf would be fine, as it's inside the vehicle and only really visible if you're outside the car and looking through the rear window. UNDER the parcel shelf seems impossible. Doesn't the antenna need a clearer view of the outside?

The rear parcel shelf is very thin, the signal can penetrate the material. IF you want to place the antenna on top, that would work also.

Second, I got a quote for this exact install from a local dealer. It was over $200 for just the labor. That's why I started looking at Best Buy. If the install is really this easy, why is a shop (a very good shop and highly recommended) charging over $200? The only thing I can think of would be if the install was easy (skill-wise) but took a long time and I'm simply paying for the technician's hours.

Any thoughts?

BB is a great place to buy a video game or a microwave from, I'm not comfortable bringing my BMW there for installation - the job is a simple task for the DIY. If you must bring it to an installer, your best bet is with an independent installer or even BSW which is in your remote area.

LDV330i
06-28-2007, 07:36 PM

Any thoughts?Yes the install is very simple because the car comes prewired for a CD changer. That is the plug you will connect the Blitzsafe adapter to. There is no cutting or splicing. It is all plug and play. You will spend more time removing the trunk trim and locating the wire which is wrapped in black tape. I set my antenna ON the rear parcel shelf. I removed the center baby seat anchor and threaded the antenna wire through the hole. To be able to do this I had to disassemble the antenna connector, which was no biggie.