PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier upgrade (E46)

jafo1701
06-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Just purchased the Stage 1 upgrade. Next thing I wanted to do is to replace the stock amplifier. I have a '99 323i with the factory system. I'm looking at the Alpine F450, it's a four channel amp. New to car audio & have heard the BMW sound systems work a little differently then other vehicles. Checked out different websites stating that this amp will conform to my vehicle, but will it technically work with my 10 speaker system. Like I said newbie to the car audio field. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks

Ken@BSW
06-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Just purchased the Stage 1 upgrade. Next thing I wanted to do is to replace the stock amplifier. I have a '99 323i with the factory system. I'm looking at the Alpine F450, it's a four channel amp. New to car audio & have heard the BMW sound systems work a little differently then other vehicles. Checked out different websites stating that this amp will conform to my vehicle, but will it technically work with my 10 speaker system. Like I said newbie to the car audio field. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks

jafo, welcome to bimmerfest :)

When you are ready to amplify your system, give us a call, we have the crossovers that you will need for your speakers here.

I personally recommend a 2 channel amp, and only amplifying your front speakers, and leaving the rears to run from the factory amp. What this will do is it will help pull your soundstage farther forward, giving you a cleaner, stronger front stage. Also, keep in mind, the 2.5" midranges cannot be amplified, and are only rated for 20 watts, and therefore are not used when adding an aftermarket amplifier.

jafo1701
07-02-2007, 02:35 PM
tell me if this works. I would love to have one of your subwoofers systems, but since I'm on a budget this is the plan. I plan on buying a Rockford Fosgate PL2-110 Stage 2 10". The specs of this sub fit my trunk & the reviews are good. I'm not looking for booming loud bass, but tight quality, hopefully this will do the job. For money reasons I'm going with the Alpine F450, 4 channel. I"m going to bridge two channels into 1, 4ohms at 200 watts to power the sub. Sub is rated at 200 watts. Then per your suggestion use the remaining 2 channels to power the front channels on my stage 1 speaker set-up. Sine I'm not good technicaly with vehicles I'll have to take it in to a car audio shop for installation. You stated to leave the factory at the midrange & rear & get one of your crossovers for the aftermarket amp. Hopefully the shop will know how to do this.

I've been trying to get a hold of your sales department with no luck to purchase the crossover. Left a message, hopefully I'll get a reply soon. Want to get all this upgraded as soon as possible. After the sound system I plan on upgrading the exhaust & air intake, but sound system takes the priority for now.

Thanks