PDA

View Full Version : Just THRILLED with Tom and EAS - XM as if stock!

djcwardog
07-02-2007, 03:03 PM
My car (see sig) needed a better way to give me my daily XM radio fix. I had heard that the older E-39's could receive a later Business CD head unit and open up all sorts of cool upgrade options from there...

I found EAS on this site and gave them a call. Tom answered and then had me go out to the car (I was at work) and talk him through what wires I was seeing attached to the stereo items in my trunk. (6-pin, 3-pin, coax cable, etc...)

After that chat we determined that my 6/99 production car with DSP could take a newer Business CD head unit ( I had the cassette version as from the factory), with an EAS proprietary cable conversion kit for the wire harness in the dash.

Tom sent me that new head unit along with an XM adapter (for use with a standard XM Direct 1000 tuner module) that emulates the Sirius radio that the head unit expects to see - and gives me my XM channels on the MID, dash, and full steering wheel controls. Of course, I already had a BlitzSafe adapter to allow my Alpine CD changer (an upgrade - gives MP-3 capability) to work and to provide an Aux jack for the old way I had XM in this car - a Delphi SkyFi-2. Tom could have covered me there as well if needed.

While I was at it, I installed the Aux adapter that Tom sold me as a plug-in to the back of the new head unit.

The only real difficulty was having to route a 6-pin cable from the head (plugs in on the back of the head unit beside the Aux cable that got routed over to the glove box) to the trunk as Tom had suggested may be required. Apparently some cars work the audio signal in digital, but mine was needing the analog audio signal to provide sound from the XM kit. No biggie - I had that cable routed in less than 30 minutes. I also apparently had a diversity tuning radio - two antennas - but only one antenna lead could be plugged into the new CD head (no provision to accept the second antenna lead...) Again, no biggie and it all works great.

All in all, a superbly engineered kit that got rid of my console clutter and restored the interior to a stock look. Highly recommended!

Thanks Tom!

tom @ eas
07-02-2007, 04:13 PM
My car (see sig) needed a better way to give me my daily XM radio fix. I had heard that the older E-39's could receive a later Business CD head unit and open up all sorts of cool upgrade options from there...

I found EAS on this site and gave them a call. Tom answered and then had me go out to the car (I was at work) and talk him through what wires I was seeing attached to the stereo items in my trunk. (6-pin, 3-pin, coax cable, etc...)

After that chat we determined that my 6/99 production car with DSP could take a newer Business CD head unit ( I had the cassette version as from the factory), with an EAS proprietary cable conversion kit for the wire harness in the dash.

Tom sent me that new head unit along with an XM adapter (for use with a standard XM Direct 1000 tuner module) that emulates the Sirius radio that the head unit expects to see - and gives me my XM channels on the MID, dash, and full steering wheel controls. Of course, I already had a BlitzSafe adapter to allow my Alpine CD changer (an upgrade - gives MP-3 capability) to work and to provide an Aux jack for the old way I had XM in this car - a Delphi SkyFi-2. Tom could have covered me there as well if needed.

While I was at it, I installed the Aux adapter that Tom sold me as a plug-in to the back of the new head unit.

The only real difficulty was having to route a 6-pin cable from the head (plugs in on the back of the head unit beside the Aux cable that got routed over to the glove box) to the trunk as Tom had suggested may be required. Apparently some cars work the audio signal in digital, but mine was needing the analog audio signal to provide sound from the XM kit. No biggie - I had that cable routed in less than 30 minutes. I also apparently had a diversity tuning radio - two antennas - but only one antenna lead could be plugged into the new CD head (no provision to accept the second antenna lead...) Again, no biggie and it all works great.

All in all, a superbly engineered kit that got rid of my console clutter and restored the interior to a stock look. Highly recommended!

Thanks Tom!

Thanks for the feedback - there's nothing like OEM integration. Forgot to note that you had all this installed in no time at all. :)