PDA

View Full Version : OEM BMW Rear Headrest Entertainment System (Vizualogic, BMW Branded)

jacobo
07-03-2007, 01:40 AM
Looking for members that have this installed in their X5s or X3s (or in any 3-series where they retrofitted the kit). Here's what I have, in case anyone is wondering:

http://www.x5world.com/articles/x5/electronics-x5/9610-bmw-headrest-rear-entertainment-system.html

Hopefully someone in the San Diego area. I pieced together this "kit" by finding the headrests with pre-installed screens on ebay, then buying all the necessary other parts from BMW. Went to have it all hooked up today, paid over $400 for the install (which included wiring it up to work with my TVonNAV kit so that I can have one source on the Nav monitor and the other playing on the headrest screens and installing a PS2 in the glovebox and running my Dice harness into the cabin and coming into the glovebox as well.

However, when all was said and done the monitors powered up only a blue screen shows up. The signal from the TV tuner/PS2 doesn't come through on the screens. The shop swapped out the BMW-branded monitors in the headrests with the Vizualogic ones they had in the shop, and they worked fine, picture was great. The monitors had Version 1.4 on the back of them. My BMW-branded ones have Version 2.0. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I called Vizualogic, and of course they can't me much of anything, because the kit is BMW-specific and they can't sell me a single part from it or tell me much about what is wrong with it. However, he did tell me that my screens were bad when I told him that they came one but were just blue.

I'm pissed. Anyway, on to the next part. I arrived home late tonight and decided to play around with it a bit. I orded the 3 Pol Auxiliary adapter, so I decided to plug it in, grab my portable DVD player and plug that in to see if it would display on the screen. That worked. At least on 1 monitor. So, obviously the monitor isn't dead, or at least 1 isn't. Not sure about the other one. I couldn't get the driver's side to display the DVD picture, and I couldn't get it out to plug it into the passenger side and see if it worked there, trying to investigate if it was some sort of a connection or the monitor itself.

Anyway, reason I'm posting this. To do more troubleshooting, I'm wondering if anyone in my area has the kit installed in their vehicle. I'm in Oceanside, CA, but looking for anyone in the San Diego are that has this (or in Orange and maybe LA counties), so that I might be able to plug in my headrest to your LCD cable to check to see if it works. I have a feeling that it's either something with the install itself, or something with the Software version that the screens are running on. Is there anyone who can help me with this, or offer me any help or ideas as to how to figure out what is wrong? BTW, I have this installed in my 330, but it's the same exact kit for the X3 or X5.

Any help would be much appreciated, TIA.

jacobo
07-03-2007, 01:26 PM
bump