PDA

View Full Version : 2007 328i Interior Squeaks and Rattles

mtingle
07-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I just bought my first BMW. It is a 2007 328i Sedan. I have, up to this purchase, been a Mercedes man, but after much prodding from my BMW owning friends I decides to try one. The car drives great, but I am less than happy with the interior fit and finish. I have had it back to the dealer no less than 4 times and have only had the car two months. The driver's seat developed a squeak/groan sound when accelerating and breaking. The dealer finally replaced the seat which eliminated the problem. Unfortunately in replacing the seat the technician dropped the seat in the door jam and chipped the paint. So now I have a brand new car with chipped/touched up paint. I have just taken the car back for another strange squeak in the rear deck area around the speakers and back glass. There is a molded plastic vent like piece that seems to be binding and causing "cracking" sounds to come from the back whenever you hit a bump or pull out of an uneven spot cause the body to flex. Has anyone else experienced these types of problems?

jxr209
07-09-2007, 12:49 PM
I have the driver's seat noise. It started around 700miles. can't find the time to take it in yet...
Replacing the entire seat seems too drastic. I wonder if there's an easy fix...

bimmer_fam
07-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Do you know where your cars were assembled (final assembly country)?

A320 Scott
07-09-2007, 02:21 PM
My 328i has nearly 6000 miles and is tight as a drum. No irritating noises save for the runflat tires. Interior fit and finish is terrific and looks built to last.

bmw101
07-09-2007, 02:46 PM
300 miles. so far so good.

motomoto
07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
My 2007 328i has 1100 miles, was built @ the Regensburg Plant & does not seem to have any squeaks and rattles that I notice in normal driving. I will really try and listen for them on the way home today, but there is certainly no noise from the seats!

jxr209
07-10-2007, 06:50 AM
i repositioned the seat and the noise when away. I hope it stays that way

BlueC
07-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Over 9000 miles now with no interior noises. Like other have said, most noise issues have been related to the RFTs. Once those are replaced its a much quieter ride.

mtingle
07-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Oh believe me... I repositioned the seat before taking it in. I even let my wife drive it and she uses multiple different seat positions and it still squeaked. The dealer tried lubing the seat frame first and it was better for a couple days, but the squeak soon returned. Since the dealer replace the frame it has stopped.

mtingle
07-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I have the driver's seat noise. It started around 700miles. can't find the time to take it in yet...
Replacing the entire seat seems too drastic. I wonder if there's an easy fix...
I watched my car come off the truck... It had less than 500 miles when the squeak started. I took the car in three times and the dealer kept it for at least a week trying to fix the problem. After they had no luck I didn't feel demanding that the seat be replaced on a $45 k car was too extreme. They replace the seat frame and that solved the problem.

mtingle
07-10-2007, 08:24 AM
How do I determine this?

propstuf
07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
12000 miles on mine. I have the "cracking" noise from the rear deck - I have discussed with the dealer and this is a common issue. Basically, the rear plastic deck is affixed right up against the rear glass. Temparature changes and body flex will cause it to rub, and you get the cracking sound.

I'm living with it. It is either that or the tear the back of the car apart to replace it. I'd rather hear the occasional squeak than let the dealer ruin something else...

bimmer_fam
07-10-2007, 09:28 AM
How do I determine this?

When I bought my 325i in '04, the window sticker had country of final assembly on it (South Africa). My '04 325 has some rattling of the driver window, some other rattling noises, etc. I was told by my CA that some 328s are still assembled in South Africa...

The 328i I've picked up during ED had no rattling of any kind (800+ miles in Europe).

Other than the sticker, I don't know what would tell the country of final assembly...

Good luck!

motomoto
07-10-2007, 09:44 AM
How do I determine this?

Saw this @ another post:

To determine which factory your E90 came from, look at the 7th last letter in your VIN

K, A = Munich Germany
P = Regensburg Germany
V= Leipzig Germany
N= Rosslyn South Africa

ajfinoak
07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I have 8700 miles on my '06 made in Germany. I had a creaking sound from the rocker panel by the driver's door when you touch it with your leg entering or exiting the car. They removed it and lubed it 2 months ago but now the noise is back. Anyone else ever have this and how was it resolved? Thanks

mtingle
07-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Saw this @ another post:

To determine which factory your E90 came from, look at the 7th last letter in your VIN

K, A = Munich Germany
P = Regensburg Germany
V= Leipzig Germany
N= Rosslyn South Africa
Okay, Thanks...

Mine is "K" so I guess that means it came from Munich Germany

mtingle
07-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Munich Germany

mtingle
07-10-2007, 10:56 AM
12000 miles on mine. I have the "cracking" noise from the rear deck - I have discussed with the dealer and this is a common issue. Basically, the rear plastic deck is affixed right up against the rear glass. Temparature changes and body flex will cause it to rub, and you get the cracking sound.

I'm living with it. It is either that or the tear the back of the car apart to replace it. I'd rather hear the occasional squeak than let the dealer ruin something else...
I must be a lucky guy... In addition to the squeaky seat I now have the "cracking" sound you described. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. You are correct that it's the plastic piece close to the window on the rear deck. I can push on it with my hand and duplicate the noise. I will NOT live with it. I'm not buying a "luxury" car and living with poor design. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

bimmer_fam
07-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Munich Germany

Here goes that theory...:)

I would work with dealer until you are happy with your car...

Good luck!

cmpatti
07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
My 328i has about 1700 miles. At a few hundred miles, I started getting a creaking sound from the dash area whenever I sped up, slowed down, or took a hard turn. It got progressively worse until the car sounded like an old rocking chair--it drove me nuts. I was going to have to bring the car in to get the front license plate mounted once my plates arrived from DMV anyway, so I waited to do anything until then. Then, at about 1200 miles the noise just stopped, and it's been quite ever since.

w5lx
07-12-2007, 05:08 PM
These types of problems must just be "luck of the draw." My '07 328i has 6000 rattle free/sqeak free miles on it.

Cerezo
07-13-2007, 04:40 PM
The cracking sound from the rear windshield comes from the rubbing of the panel and the vent. it bugged the hell out of me too until they replaced and sanded the surface of the new panel, which did not eliminate the noise but it did improve a lot.

BimmerRat
07-13-2007, 04:46 PM

I have the same problem. Just started about 3 weeks ago. Usually happens after letting the car park out in the sun for a couple hours. Doesn't bug me too much, nothing a little music can drown out :P

nice to know it's a known issue though.

ProRail
07-13-2007, 05:13 PM
I just bought my first BMW. It is a 2007 328i Sedan. I have, up to this purchase, been a Mercedes man, but after much prodding from my BMW owning friends I decides to try one. The car drives great, but I am less than happy with the interior fit and finish. I have had it back to the dealer no less than 4 times and have only had the car two months. The driver's seat developed a squeak/groan sound when accelerating and breaking. The dealer finally replaced the seat which eliminated the problem. Unfortunately in replacing the seat the technician dropped the seat in the door jam and chipped the paint. So now I have a brand new car with chipped/touched up paint. I have just taken the car back for another strange squeak in the rear deck area around the speakers and back glass. There is a molded plastic vent like piece that seems to be binding and causing "cracking" sounds to come from the back whenever you hit a bump or pull out of an uneven spot cause the body to flex. Has anyone else experienced these types of problems?

I'm sorry. after you said "breaking" I just couldn't concentrate on the rest of the post. I'm sure you do have a problem. It's just me.

mtingle
07-19-2007, 05:23 AM
The cracking sound from the rear windshield comes from the rubbing of the panel and the vent. it bugged the hell out of me too until they replaced and sanded the surface of the new panel, which did not eliminate the noise but it did improve a lot.
You are Correct ! I just picked the car up and the service tech told me the problem was that the plastic vent piece was rubbing on the body panel. They didn't sand or try to reshape it he said they placed felt tape on the plastic piece where it was rubbing. The noise is now gone. My only concern is if the tape wears through it will start again. If it does I know how to repair it. Thanks.

WEEZ
04-26-2008, 02:33 AM
I have to say, Im not impressed with BMW "legendary" fit/finish/quality standards. The wood panelling on my dash does not go flush with the trim above it on the passenger side. It gradually goes to about a 1/8"-1/4" gap towards the passenger door. Cracking sound from rear window. Back seats rattles and creaks. Rear roof console rattled. I took it apart and used pieces of paper towel as a buffer for the loose metal clips that caused the rattle. Oh, and now Im getting a service light at 1700 miles.:mad:
Not impressed.

w5lx
04-26-2008, 05:40 AM
I have to say, Im not impressed with BMW "legendary" fit/finish/quality standards. The wood panelling on my dash does not go flush with the trim above it on the passenger side. It gradually goes to about a 1/8"-1/4" gap towards the passenger door. Cracking sound from rear window. Back seats rattles and creaks. Rear roof console rattled. I took it apart and used pieces of paper towel as a buffer for the loose metal clips that caused the rattle. Oh, and now Im getting a service light at 1700 miles.:mad:
Not impressed.

Why not take it back to the dealer and let them fix it under the warranty?

WEEZ
04-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Why not take it back to the dealer and let them fix it under the warranty?

it is, Monday.