PDA

View Full Version : MKIV Nav problem


tscales
07-13-2007, 04:21 PM
I have the MKIV DVD Nav in my 2003 M3. It has started to act up and it is really weird.

About 90% of the time, it works just fine. The other 10% it goes into an endless loop of rebooting. The BMW logo will come up. Then it will work anywhere from not at all (immediately reboots) to 10-15 minutes before it reboots. Most of the time it just reboots continuously. Until it starts working again!

I thought it was just a loose connection so I took it to the dealer. They said it needs a new computer. I found that hard to believe.

So I swapped computers. I also have a 2003 540, so I exchanged them. They're the same model number.

Now the M3 works and the 540 doesn't, so it is definitely the DVD/Computer. Oh, I tried both the 2002.1 and the 2007.1 DVD. Both work in the good computer. Both fail in the bad computer, so it isn't the DVD.

Am I just hosed? Do I need a new computer or could it be something easy to repair? I tried cleaning the DVD drive with a cleaner DVD hoping it was just the lens, but that didn't help. Worst case, I guess I'll take it apart and see what I find, but I hoped someone would have an idea.

Suggestions welcome!

Tom

tom @ eas
07-13-2007, 04:31 PM
I have the MKIV DVD Nav in my 2003 M3. It has started to act up and it is really weird.

About 90% of the time, it works just fine. The other 10% it goes into an endless loop of rebooting. The BMW logo will come up. Then it will work anywhere from not at all (immediately reboots) to 10-15 minutes before it reboots. Most of the time it just reboots continuously. Until it starts working again!

I thought it was just a loose connection so I took it to the dealer. They said it needs a new computer. I found that hard to believe.

So I swapped computers. I also have a 2003 540, so I exchanged them. They're the same model number.

Now the M3 works and the 540 doesn't, so it is definitely the DVD/Computer. Oh, I tried both the 2002.1 and the 2007.1 DVD. Both work in the good computer. Both fail in the bad computer, so it isn't the DVD.

Am I just hosed? Do I need a new computer or could it be something easy to repair? I tried cleaning the DVD drive with a cleaner DVD hoping it was just the lens, but that didn't help. Worst case, I guess I'll take it apart and see what I find, but I hoped someone would have an idea.

Suggestions welcome!

Tom

Wonder if it is a corrupted firmware - what version is on there now?

tscales
07-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Interesting idea. It currently has 27.1 because I could never get a clean burn of 28.1. Might be worth trying to reinstall 27.1. You'd think the dealer would have tried that!

Tom

DouglasABaker
07-25-2007, 06:57 PM
I was never able to get a clean 28.1 but I did get 29.1 (both stock as well as the KrisL mod version) and it solved my problem.

I actually bought one from Lithuania and the firmware it came with caused it to reboot every time I tried to look up POI's. A brief stint with the burner to upgrade it to 29.1 and all is well.

Try firmware before you drop cash on a new one...

d-