PDA

View Full Version : spl subs

77vetteguy
07-15-2007, 02:49 PM
does anyone know if 12" spl subs are 4ohm or 2 ohm?

77vetteguy
07-15-2007, 04:12 PM
also would this setup work? ive heard that the subs 4ohm since there dual voice coil but somone told me they are 2. i have very little knowledge of stereo systems so any help would be apretiated

SQBMW
07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Subs vary greatly in their voice coil configurations. some are dual voice coil some single and all range from 1 ohm to 4 per coil depending on the sub. The image you drew is wiring the coils in series and will double the impedance (if you wire 2-4 ohm voice coils in series it is an 8 ohm load) but you also show your amp as being bridged. Make sure your amp can do this. I use JL subs and amps but there are many good companies out there. The JL site can show you how to wire in series or parallel (this drops your impedance 2 - 4 ohm coils in parallel is a 2 ohm load)
Go to their technical help page for some good information on wiring multiple speakers and coils to achieve the load you want. Go to http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

I hope this helps,
Bob

77vetteguy
07-16-2007, 07:33 PM
thanks that did help. i found out they are 4ohm subs. i took them to best buy and the guys there even hooked them up for me. he hooked them up like the "2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel". i also found that the previous owner had cut and spliced somthing into the rca's. thats what i had done at best buy was replace those rca's. seems like they work alot better now but not to their full potential yet.