PDA

View Full Version : X5 Abuse

Emission
02-25-2003, 09:10 PM
I am in the middle of installing VCT (Vinyl Composite Tile) on the floor of the garage, so I needed to get the materials. Having no alternative, I took the X5 to Home Depot.

While still in the store, just loading the cart, I got concerned. These boxes were HEAVY. I paid for the loot, then pushed 14 cartons of VCT, a few gallons of glue, and misc. stuff out to the waiting X5.

Thankfully, I have a rubber cargo mat (McNeil Products) to protect my floor. In any case, the X5 swallowed the load without a problem... but these things sure were HEAVY!

I drove home slowly (no need for the cargo to shift), then took some pics of the load for the wife (asleep at 8:30!) since it is her truck. Then I weighed a carton - and nearly passed out!

Each carton weighed 68 pounds on our scale. Gulp. Doing the math, I had piled 950+ pounds into the back of the X5!

Well, a quick check of the Owner's Manual just lists total cargo capacity, not rear cargo capacity. The truck never faltered, and seems unscathed. The X5 is fine.

My arms, however, are killing me!

SARAFIL
02-25-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Emission
I am in the middle of installing VCT (Vinyl Composite Tile) on the floor of the garage, so I needed to get the materials. Having no alternative, I took the X5 to Home Depot.

While still in the store, just loading the cart, I got concerned. These boxes were HEAVY. I paid for the loot, then pushed 14 cartons of VCT, a few gallons of glue, and misc. stuff out to the waiting X5.

Thankfully, I have a rubber cargo mat (McNeil Products) to protect my floor. In any case, the X5 swallowed the load without a problem... but these things sure were HEAVY!

I drove home slowly (no need for the cargo to shift), then took some pics of the load for the wife (asleep at 8:30!) since it is her truck. Then I weighed a carton - and nearly passed out!

Each carton weighed 68 pounds on our scale. Gulp. Doing the math, I had piled 950+ pounds into the back of the X5!

Well, a quick check of the Owner's Manual just lists total cargo capacity, not rear cargo capacity. The truck never faltered, and seems unscathed. The X5 is fine.

My arms, however, are killing me!

I have to say, you have probably pushed your X5 more than any other owner has ever done- off road duty, cargo hauling, etc. Whats next?

Tominizer
02-26-2003, 05:38 AM
Post some pics of the garage after you're done. I'd be interested in seeing how it turns out.:thumbup:

·clyde·
02-26-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by SARAFIL
Whats next?

Finishing the break in period? :eek:

Emission
02-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Clyde@work
Finishing the break in period? :eek:

Hey, we're coming up on 1200 miles, and I still have yet to exceed 4500 rpm. I'm showing the X5 tons o' love.

Pics of the garage will follow (should be done by Friday).

Kewl X5
02-26-2003, 11:39 PM
I loaded up about 500 lbs of cement roof tiles on the X and no problem with it....though I have a 2001 3.0 with SP and it had rear self-leveling suspension and the rear end never sagged and the ride/handling was fine.....Sounds like both your X5 and your arms had a good work out!!

I would never put that stuff on the trunk of my 3-series....it would be a low-riding 3-series!!

X54ever
03-16-2003, 01:25 AM
Do you have the self leveling rear suspension?
I ordered this with my '03, and boy, when pulling the boat, there is NO sagging in the rear, and with the self leveling HID's, this is the first time in my life that the headlights haven't 'hit the trees'.....while pulling the trailer!

Emission
03-16-2003, 10:44 PM
I don't have the leveling rear end. In all honesty, the back of the X5 didn't sag much at all. In fact, it was the heavy handling (and weight going up a large hill) that got me thinking about it.

evilwillie
11-21-2004, 02:28 AM
I too had to get something home from Lowes and had only 1 way to do it right then...X5. We were doing some concrete work in the back yard and ran out. I was getting tired of having to run back and forth to get concrete so I just piled it up! We bought more than we needed and loaded it up in the X5. We took the car seat(s) out, folded down the rear seats and stocked it full of cement. This truck looked like a dog that had just been kicked in the ass...It was a sight. Driving it felt like I was floating on a cloud. We only live a mile away so that was a good thing.

20 bags of cement
80 pounds a piece=
1,600 pounds

...I love that truck

Kaefer
11-21-2004, 05:01 AM
I'm showing the X5 tons o' love.

Except for the part where you stick almost 1,000 lbs. in the back of it...
:D

Juan

Emission
11-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Except for the part where you stick almost 1,000 lbs. in the back of it...
:D

Juan

True. :thumbup: