PDA

View Full Version : Nuvi Fm Transmitter+ Bluetooth Question

RPMFUN
07-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a 2004 330 vert, with no nav.
I am thinking of adding a Garmin Nuvi which has a FM transmitter so one can tune the voice in on the radio, and since the Nuvi has bluetooth capability, using that as a gateway to get my phone thru to the radio.

Do any of you have any thoughts or experiences with this type of setup?

Your help and input is appreciated.

Thanks

sky
07-23-2007, 10:23 PM
I have the Nuvi 660. My experience with the FM transmitter
is mixed. It comes through with some static, not real clear.
I've tried different available FM stations...same results. It's
actually more clear off the Nuvi's internal speakers.

Also, make sure you have a compatible bluetooth phone.
I've got one that wasn't on Garmin's list of phones...it pairs
up, but not all the features work (i.e., phonebook, voice).

RPMFUN
07-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the info.

gators93
07-25-2007, 07:26 PM
I also have the Nuvi 660 and love it. I had the same issue as the previous post regarding the phone book. I have used it simply as a hands free bluetooth connection to the phone and used the Nuvi's speaker. It does well, but probably would not have enough volume with the top down. I have not used the FM transmitter to it though.

Vonhasch
07-30-2007, 09:21 AM
The best option is to install an auxiliary input jack. I installed one on my 2004 X5 and use it with the Garmin 2730. The FM transmitter doesn't work well in populated areas. BMW has a kit that takes about 45 minutes to install. I mounted the input jack in my ash tray instead of where the instructions called for because it was quick, easy, and more convenient. The only caveat is if you use the cigarette lighter for your power source you might need a ground loop isolator (around $15 from Radio Shack).

RPMFUN
07-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks, that was very helpful.