PDA

View Full Version : Deleting posts/threads


Jetfire
02-27-2003, 11:44 AM
Has this been discussed already?

Several forums I frequent will NOT allow used to delete their own posts or threads. Only moderators have this ability, so users have to request that moderators delete them.

I have found that this policy does two things. First, by requiring users to think twice before posting, it tends to improve the signal:noise ratio. Second, by preventing random deletions, people will not see their posts go into thin air on the whims of the thread originator.

Of course, moderators can put an end to out-of-control flame wars by locking or deleting them. But what about taking away regular users' ability to do the same?

Nick325xiT 5spd
02-27-2003, 11:47 AM
I suggest taking away delete after an hour.

JST
02-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Jetfire
Has this been discussed already?

Several forums I frequent will NOT allow used to delete their own posts or threads. Only moderators have this ability, so users have to request that moderators delete them.

I have found that this policy does two things. First, by requiring users to think twice before posting, it tends to improve the signal:noise ratio. Second, by preventing random deletions, people will not see their posts go into thin air on the whims of the thread originator.

Of course, moderators can put an end to out-of-control flame wars by locking or deleting them. But what about taking away regular users' ability to do the same?

Am in favor of restricting the ability to delete threads, but I think we should continue to allow individual posts to be edited and deleted by their authors. This is a (very) public forum--if you decide, for whatever reason, that something you posted is not appropriate for inclusion in such a forum, you should be able to modify it or delete it entirely.

OTOH, Clyde's points in the other thread about destroying the work of others are well taken, so one poster should not be allowed to remove an entire thread. Is there a way to modify the settings to allow an initial post to be deleted, without deleting all follow-ups? If not, perhaps initial posts could be locked down fromn deleting, and if the initial poster wished to delete the text of their post they could do so by editing.

FWIW, I think spending any time thinking about post count is pretty stupid. We all know who the regulars are, and know that they spend way too much time here. Does anyone actually even LOOK at post counts? I don't.

Jetfire
02-27-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JST

FWIW, I think spending any time thinking about post count is pretty stupid. We all know who the regulars are, and know that they spend way too much time here. Does anyone actually even LOOK at post counts? I don't.

Speaking of site suggestions, I would further request that post counts be made invisible.

With or without post counts, however, I definitely think that no one should be allowed to delete anyone else's posts. This is precisely what happens when users delete their own threads, which is more of an issue to me than deleting individual posts. Good point.

I remain in favor of allowing users to edit their posts. Since someone can just go in, select everything, and remove the entire content of a post, there's no reason to disable single post deletion.

·clyde·
02-27-2003, 12:15 PM
I see nothing inherently wrong with deleting threads. Someone reposts something and then gets clued in or posts something that they later have second thoughts about having out there so they delete it.

It's when Dave deletes his threads after a discussion gets going or the :bs: that Ashe used to pull that gets my goat.

Same basic thing with deleting individual posts. There are many valid reasons for selective deletion and timeliness can be critical and the delay needed for a mod/admin to delete it may be too long.

I'm perfectly hapy with self policing. When a particular problem cropps up, we can deal with it. If the person "at fault" ;) doesn't change his behavior, we are free to ignore him until he changes his behavior or goes on his merry way.

·clyde·
02-27-2003, 12:19 PM
I like seeing post counts as it provides some inkling to a user's level of participation when the name doesn't ring a bell. It can be useful in deciding how to reply in some cases.

·clyde·
02-27-2003, 12:19 PM
And another thing...I'd still like to know why dredmo's thread from yesterday was deleted. Maybe he can PM me or something. :D

·clyde·
02-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by DougDogs
Posts counts at E46 are still available, you have to look in the profiles. They are just no longer attached to each post like here.

I didn't mean to say get rid of them completely

You can also search on user name. It's just a hell of a lot easier to just glance under the user name in the left hand column. Remember, I am lazy. :D

Mr. The Edge
02-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
I suggest taking away delete after an hour.

I believe that's how Fanatics works, right?

Jetfire
02-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by DougDogs
Posts counts at E46 are still available, you have to look in the profiles. They are just no longer attached to each post like here.

I didn't mean to say get rid of them completely

Yeah. That system seems to work pretty well from my own experience.

Regarding self-policing, I still don't think that users should be allowed to delete their own threads. It's certainly possible for someone to think twice about what they posted, so let them delete their own POST. I appreciate the right of users to take away what they wrote themselves, but I am firmly against giving a user the right to delete another user's posts.

I mean, I'm not going to quit the 'fest over delete threads, but this change would make things more pleasant in my opinion.

Jetfire
02-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by atyclb
I believe that's how Fanatics works, right?

Maybe. If you're worried, I doubt this change would turn fest members into fanatics members. :)