PDA

View Full Version : E46 speaker replacement

ails92t
07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I posted the following in E46 fanatics and got no response. Hope it works better here.

This may be dumb questions, but here goes.

If I just replace my current door and rear speakers with aftermarket 5-1/4 or 6" speakers using adapters, is there a problem with them having integral tweeters?

I'm told the stock HK amp sends a separate signal to each speaker. Would the tweeter on the replacement 2-way just be going along for the ride or would it interfere with the stock tweeter ?

If I replace the current speakers with component speakers, would I use the crossovers from the new speakers or just use the inputs from the HK amp.

Also what impedence would the replacement speakers need to be.

Thanks,
Rich K.

SammyXp
07-30-2007, 08:43 AM
The tweeter in the coaxial would just be going along for the ride, since most of the frequencies it is useful for would end up filtered out in the HK amp.
Also, the factory woofers are 3 ohm, so a 4ohm driver would reduce the already dismal amount of power the factory speakers get.
Bottom line: you're better off with the HK speakers for now.

jvr826
07-30-2007, 09:59 AM
If I replace the current speakers with component speakers, would I use the crossovers from the new speakers or just use the inputs from the HK amp.

What is the problem you're trying to correct? Blown woofer or are you wanting to upgrade the sound quality?

If you retain the H/K amp, you will not use the supplied crossovers. I suppose you could IF they were bi-amplification capable, in that you could connect the tweeter output from the H/K to the crossover, then the crossover to the tweeter. Seems you'd lose something there though.

If you want a plug and play solution and retain the H/K amp, BSW offers speaker upgrade packages.

If you're just wanting to fix a blow OEM woofer, look for a used one or order a new one.