PDA

View Full Version : Interference heard from speakers

ketchup
08-07-2007, 10:54 PM
I had a loud high frequency noise from my audio. I purchased a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack today and installed it. I thought that took care of the problem but a very faint high freq noise can still be heard. What else can I do to get rid of this interference?!

I have the old ICE>iPod kit in my 01 E39 540.

ketchup
09-04-2007, 12:15 PM
*BUMP*

Ground loop isolator install and still engine noise/speaker interference. The infamous high pitched buzz @ X-RPMS LIVES!!!!

Will adding a 1 farad cap fix the problem?

Keyser Soze
09-07-2007, 11:05 AM
how did you install the ground loop isolator? I bought two of the things and installed one in the dash but it didn't help my high pitched whine which came after I installed the OEM Aux ipod input

OwenH
09-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Im not exactly sure how the DICE works, but alternator noise can enter a system when signal wires physically lay accross power wires. Try tying down the wires so that everything runs parallel to each other.

DouglasABaker
09-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Im not exactly sure how the DICE works, but alternator noise can enter a system when signal wires physically lay accross power wires. Try tying down the wires so that everything runs parallel to each other.

There is a theory that power wires can cause interference in signal wires. It has largely been disproven, but even if you accept it as fact, the solution is to run power and signal wires at RIGHT ANGLES, not parallel. Parallel is what causes the problem (if you believe it exists) in the first place.

Doug

DouglasABaker
09-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I had a loud high frequency noise from my audio. I purchased a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack today and installed it. I thought that took care of the problem but a very faint high freq noise can still be heard. What else can I do to get rid of this interference?!

I have the old ICE>iPod kit in my 01 E39 540.

Ground loop isolators are a mask to the real problem: a bad ground. Something in your system is grounded at a different location than everything else, and is grounded poorly. Your first step should be to ground all of your equipment in 1 place. You want a 0 ohm ground location as measured against the ground cable from the battery.

Doug