PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading E46 to NAV

335CiC_07
08-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Hello all, hope you're doing well...

Yesterday I went in to pick up the E93 I ordered, and I quickly found out about the depreciation on my '06 E46... ~$15k (Yes, Fifteen Thousand Dollars - A little over $1.50 a mile) Needless to say, my current ride is still an E46.

I ordered the E93 because for personal reasons "Comfort Access" (CA) would be phenomenally valuable to me. Still, I can't bring myself to pay $27k for it until I win several lotteries. Thus, I'm back to the idea of retrofitting my E46 330Ci Convertible.

My research indicates that CA Just Isn't Going To Happen as an OEM component. :cry: Since it would require access to the most secure parts of the car, I hold out no hope for a future aftermarket solution either.

Since the E46 has the performance package (ZHP), it's (more than) quite adequate from a driving perspective. It was a canceled order off the lot, so I got it as it came. If I'd ordered I would have gotten navigation (609) and parking (507).

Since I have the need (opportunity?) to go aftermarket, a carputer looks quite attractive. However, I already spend quite enough time kicking computers in the crotch to get them back to work. Thus, the state of the carputer art seems lacking.

So, finally, my question: What is the closest thing to a carputer in the consumer electronics realm?

Since I'm not spending thousands on a E93, I won't get sticker shock - please let your creative juices erupt.

Thanks,
-Greg

tom @ eas
08-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Hello all, hope you're doing well...

Yesterday I went in to pick up the E93 I ordered, and I quickly found out about the depreciation on my '06 E46... ~$15k (Yes, Fifteen Thousand Dollars - A little over $1.50 a mile) Needless to say, my current ride is still an E46.

I ordered the E93 because for personal reasons "Comfort Access" (CA) would be phenomenally valuable to me. Still, I can't bring myself to pay $27k for it until I win several lotteries. Thus, I'm back to the idea of retrofitting my E46 330Ci Convertible.

My research indicates that CA Just Isn't Going To Happen as an OEM component. :cry: Since it would require access to the most secure parts of the car, I hold out no hope for a future aftermarket solution either.

Since the E46 has the performance package (ZHP), it's (more than) quite adequate from a driving perspective. It was a canceled order off the lot, so I got it as it came. If I'd ordered I would have gotten navigation (609) and parking (507).

Since I have the need (opportunity?) to go aftermarket, a carputer looks quite attractive. However, I already spend quite enough time kicking computers in the crotch to get them back to work. Thus, the state of the carputer art seems lacking.

So, finally, my question: What is the closest thing to a carputer in the consumer electronics realm?

Since I'm not spending thousands on a E93, I won't get sticker shock - please let your creative juices erupt.

Thanks,
-Greg

We have a retrofit kit here, it's not as hard as you think to install:

BMW - Navigation retrofit kit for e46 3-series & M3
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_202&products_id=616

MMME30W
08-10-2007, 09:27 AM
What do you mean by carputer? :dunno:

335CiC_07
08-14-2007, 05:04 AM
We have a retrofit kit here, it's not as hard as you think to install:

Mr. Tom,

Thanks, I was pretty sure the NAV side would be pretty straightforward.

-Greg

335CiC_07
08-14-2007, 05:24 AM
What do you mean by carputer? :dunno:

Well, Wikipedia says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carputer , and it's pretty much what I was asking for.

Of course, what I really want is to re-program the cabin like you can re-program (re-chip) the engine. Every aspect of the cabin could fit you perfectly, from the brightness of the courtesy lights to turning off the :mad: "key in ignition" warning. IF we could get at the programs.

'course, if we could some fool would think it was a great idea to program the headlights to flash "Dixie", then he'd accidentally do it in the wrong part of town, then his widow'd sue everyone, blah, blah...

:(