PDA

View Full Version : Please help with Blurtooth swap

tomm1999
08-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Well I finally purchased my first BMW and I am really happy with it. The only thing it does not have that I wanted is Bluetooth. Now my mom has an 05 325ci with Nav, and she never uses her Bluetooth, so she said I can have it for my car. From what I have read it should be pre wired (its an 06 325ci with Nav), but I was wondering what parts I would need to buy, if any. Would I have to take it to a dealer and get it reprogrammed? Also, do I have a mic already installed or would I have to buy one from the dealer? Thanks in advance.

tomm1999
08-11-2007, 07:50 AM
I know my typing is awful right now, but I have a broken hand, so its very hard to type with the cast on.

Technic
08-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Well I finally purchased my first BMW and I am really happy with it. The only thing it does not have that I wanted is Bluetooth. Now my mom has an 05 325ci with Nav, and she never uses her Bluetooth, so she said I can have it for my car. From what I have read it should be pre wired (its an 06 325ci with Nav), but I was wondering what parts I would need to buy, if any. Would I have to take it to a dealer and get it reprogrammed? Also, do I have a mic already installed or would I have to buy one from the dealer? Thanks in advance.

Is your mom's car equipped with Assist? What about your car? Any Premium Package? :confused:

tomm1999
08-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Yes her car has Assist and the premium package, mine has niether.

Technic
08-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Yes her car has Assist and the premium package, mine has niether.

Do you want the Assist service with the Bluetooth or just the Bluetooth?

- Assist service with Bluetooth required equipment: Assist TCU, Assist TCU mounting bracket and screws, GPS antenna, GPS anstenna cable, new Rear view mirror/buttons retrofit, microphone, Bluetooth antenna, Bluetooth antenna cable, Sharkfin antenna, Sharkfin antenna cable, dealer programming.

- Bluetooth only required equipment: Assist TCU, Assist TCU mounting bracket and screws, microphone, Bluetooth antenna, Bluetooth antenna cable. No dealer programming is required as long as Bluetooth was operational in your mom's car. If you want to get any of the OEM cradles for your phone then you will need to get the Sharkfin antenna/cable or an OEM bumper antenna.

Most probably you will have to get the Assist TCU mounting bracket and screws, Bluetooth antenna cable, GPS and Sharkfin antenna and cable, separately instead of trying to rip apart your mom's car to get them. The Assist rear view mirror has to be new because it is a retrofit kit. The rest of the parts can be just unplugged and transplanted in your car. :thumbup:

tomm1999
08-12-2007, 05:20 AM
That doesnt sound too hard. I really dont have any need for the Assist, so it looks like I will be just pulling the Bluetooth unit out, and ordering the parts (antenna, antenna cable, and mounting bracket) I need from the dealer. How long do you think this will take. Thanks for all your help

Technic
08-12-2007, 08:47 AM
That doesnt sound too hard. I really dont have any need for the Assist, so it looks like I will be just pulling the Bluetooth unit out, and ordering the parts (antenna, antenna cable, and mounting bracket) I need from the dealer. How long do you think this will take. Thanks for all your help

If only Bluetooth is what you want then the "transplant" is easier than what I initially thought:

http://golilm.com/DIY/Bluetooth/3SeriesInstallation%20Bluetooth.pdf

Follow this installation document and disregard the pairing button installation, ULF references (instead of an ULF you will be installing a TCU) and any pin reassignment in the main connector (page 8). Your MY2006 E46 have the connector pins already set correctly.

You will need from your mother's car only the Assist TCU and the microphone; the Bluetooth antenna cable is already installed in your car (I forgot about that). Thus you will need from your dealer:
TCU mounting bracket P/N 84 13 6 924 551
Bluetooth antenna P/N 84 50 6 928 461
Bluetooth antenna bracket P/N 84 13 6 9 121 60

This should be done in less than 2 hours at the very max... :thumbup:

tomm1999
08-12-2007, 09:43 AM
That doesnt sound too bad, now I will order the parts online and start this on Friday. I will let you know how the install goes.

Thanks again