PDA

View Full Version : E46 w/harmon kardon.. adding subwoofer.. help

fillytown
08-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Hello:

I have a 2003 BMW 325i sport/premium with Harmon Kardon sound system, and I wanted to throw a subwoofer in the trunk.

I was wondering how I am supposed to run the amp wire to the trunk. Anyone have any experience doing this?

I found what I believe to be the Harmon Kardon amp in the trunk (very small!) which is located next to one of the speakers. Can I just splice the power line into that? Isnt that too small of a gauge?

What should I do? I am looking to power a JL 500/1 amp.

Please advise.

Nic3quik
08-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Hello!

You are right, that is the amp. Pathetic since it powers so many speakers!! You might also look into www.bavariansoundwerks.com for their trunk mounted speaker box. It makes space in the trunk and sounds great since its stuck to frame (rather it FEELS great!). You want to hit the pre subwoofer (back speaker) wires before going into the amp. Not sure which color this is, but if you do a search or speaker wire diagram on an e46 (even on here) you can probably find it. As for power, NEVER use the wire on the stock amp. The battery on the E46 couldn't be in a better place for subs. You will find it in the trunk on the passanger side in the back by the wheel well. Just use the ground from it and juice. Always use a lower gauge wire for any amp (usually the amp instructions will tell you what gauge depending on the size of the amp)

-Nic3

fillytown
08-17-2007, 06:26 AM
wow, thats amazing. I just located the battery in the trunk. Thats so sweet!

Now i just need to find a low output converter, and then i'm set! this is going to be such an easy install.

The JL amp even has remote on embedded in their RCA inputs, so no need to run a remote on wire!

I love it!