PDA

View Full Version : Harmon Kardon questions

andy d
08-24-2007, 01:59 AM
I'm in the middle of buying a 2002 330d m sport

I noticed the seller has put emphasis on the Harmon Kardon sound system. TBH I have no idea of the quality or the capabilities of the system.:dunno:

it has BIsuness MD stamped on the head unit and all the speaker have the HK covers there are also two big speaker in the boot which look like they could be base speakers.

Does this system have a blue tooth facility?

what is the extra cost for the system when adding a s an optional extra?

Is there anything I should know about it, things to test out etc?

thanks for your help:thumbup:

crowz
08-24-2007, 03:03 AM
There are not alot of options for that year that Im aware of other than the cd changer. Now there are plugin units that companies have that allow ipod intergration and such but but thats pretty much it.

I personally love my hk system but I seem to be in the minority on that and I would bet if someone else chimes in they will tell you its junk and sounds horrible and kills baby seals and causes whales to beach themselves. But so far and I may have a wierd system or something, everytime Ive been to a stereo shop and gotten the routine of I need to upgrade this and that, they change their minds after hearing it. The only fault I have with it is its spacially challenge. But I believe thats caused from the size of the interior on the 323i I have. All the systems I have that do better on ambience and such have a larger interior with more space between the left and right channels.

crowz
08-24-2007, 03:05 AM
One thing I didnt mentioned there is a bluetooth kit for the car itself but it doesnt add anything to the stereo, just allows your phone to connect via bluetooth. But I think some of its functions come across the stereo's display.

andy d
08-24-2007, 03:41 AM
thanks for the info crowz, I've not had a chance to hear the system at it's best yet but I'm sure I'll be very impressed as it looks as if it's a very high quality system.

As for the bluetooth I might just stay with the nokia headset...lol

crowz
08-24-2007, 03:58 AM
I would since the blue tooth kit HURTS the wallet :)

Heres the settings I use on mine and it might work well for you too. I went one click over the middle on bass, you'll know what I mean when you go thru the menu that has bass and treble and I think 2 from the top on treble. So all the way up with the treble and 2 clicks back down. Then I have the fader and balanced all set to even aka dead center.

This gives iffy sound quality at very low volume and it kicks butt at high volumes. I find that to be ideal for low volume while talking to others and is perfect when jamming out with it :)

bivouac
08-24-2007, 04:22 AM
I feel like I'm in the minority as well, because I love my HK system in my 2004 330xi.

I listen to a lot of hip-hop in my car and it's great. I listen to other stuff too but the quality of the system shows itself most for that kind of music for me. I drove Lexus with a premium sound system (Nakamichi) and a Volvo with a premium sound system and neither came close to my HK system. The bass is very crisp and it doesn't "bump" like the other sound systems at the lower levels.

The high ends and mid range is great on the stereo too but what stood out for me is the quality of the bass tones in the unit.

crowz
08-24-2007, 10:26 AM
+1 same here. I listen to about the same thing mostly and it rocks.