PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using OEM iPod kit on E60?

Interactive
09-03-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm in the market and may be going with an E60. iPod integration is a MUST and I've been spoiled by the awesome control of an Dension kit in my E39.

Has the factory iPod integration caught up with the times? Can it support integration with the iDrive sytstem and allow you to choose ANY playlist rather than just 5?

bpautosound
09-11-2007, 02:22 PM
I dont think bmw has fully integrated an ipod with there I drive system. All they do is ad an AUX icon but you still control everything through the ipod.

tom @ eas
09-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Depends on the model year of your e60, what do you have?

xxpanipuri
09-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm in the market and may be going with an E60. iPod integration is a MUST and I've been spoiled by the awesome control of an Dension kit in my E39.

Has the factory iPod integration caught up with the times? Can it support integration with the iDrive sytstem and allow you to choose ANY playlist rather than just 5?

i installed an oem ipod intergration kit into my sis's 06 525i.

it was easy as hell.

basically u remove the glovebox and pop out the plastic panel (this is where the cd changer would normally sit)

then since she didn't have the cd change I had to look for the wiring (which was tied up)

then i just plugged the module in and drilled a hole in the removable plastic panel i mention above (this panel won't be there if u have a cd changer already)

fed the cable thru the hole and she can hook her ipod up to it and leave it in the glove box and control the entire thing thru her idrive.

not sure about details of the functionality only thing i can tell you is that she loves it and it works great for her. she still has her indash cd player for occasionally playing cd's but she loves the fact that there is no CD clutter in her car!

she got a 5.5 gen 30gb ipod.

also, the oem kit i found from a seller on the classified here on bfc for around 200 shipped.

i believe its a bit more at the dealer. but i'm sure you'll find something on ebay or keep an eye out on the classifieds

its OEM bmw module. and has everything you'd need to connect it. i used the supplied velcro to keep it in place.

since her car never had a cd changer she had to pay 135 (1 hr labor maybe) to have her car recoded to see this device.

not sure how it compares to the dice and other afterkmarket units which i considered as well, but i prefer going OEM first and if thats not an option then going aftermarket.

aftermarket maybe cheaper/more options.

but if i'm patient i can find the right oem piece for the right price!

hope this helps, if you need more info let me know i have some of the install docs saved on my laptop at home i can send em to you. send me a PM with your email.

the entire process took me about 30 mins!

also it depends on the production date of your e60 as tom mentioned, since my sis's was a dec 05 production date it was compatible!

i believe there is a retrofit for older production e60's but requires a bit more (check the e60 forum they have a big ass ipod thread there)