PDA

View Full Version : import duty on ebay items?

bobby_southward
09-05-2007, 04:30 PM
I've been after getting a boot lid lip spoiler (like one fitted to e46 M3) and have seen them on ebay, ones from uk are selling for about 75 but i've seen them from poland and germany for less than 25 and pre sprayed. but i've also read somewhere that there is a hidden import duty to pay on items that are shipped in from abroad?
so really 2 questions, is this true about the hidden duty?
and are these cheaper ones anygood? they look ok in the pictures.

nick j
09-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi Bobby,

I import a fair bit of camera equipment from abroad and 8 times out of 10 will get charged import duty. The duties I have been charged has never been more than 17.5% (ie,VAT), more often than not its less, usually around 12%. I can't seem to figure out a rate calculation guide, but I've done it many times and its about this rate. Buying internationally on e-bay is ok, I've had no bad experiences - it's made easier if your seller accepts paypal or similar so no mucking about at banks doing transfers. My advice would be to look where there is a good exchange rate, just now buying from the USA is a dream. even if the item is more expensive you could save due to the dollar rate. Paypal give pretty good exchange rates.

Hope this helps,

Nick