PDA

View Full Version : Dice Ipod Install issues? Car or Dice?

AndyM
09-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Well my Icelink died last week so I ordered a Dice ipod integration kit to replace it.

Installed the Dice and went to test it. Plugged it in and it allowed me to select a playlist. Song info scrolled on the radio but no sound. Does anyone have any thoughts?

AndyM
09-15-2007, 10:38 AM
A few more bits of info.

If I select a different playlist (2 or 3 on the radio), the radio displays 'playlist' and the ipod does not move. The ipod also starts playing immediately upon connection to the dice unit and does not stop unless I stop it. I thought if you went to FM it was supposed to stop playing (the Icelink did this). I have Firmware 1.2.1 on my ipod video and dice says I need 1.1.1. I assume the newer firmware should not be the problem. My garage ipod (2nd gen) also operates the same when connected to the Dice (this should eliminate the ipod as the issue).

I took the unit out and put the car back together. I will wait to hear back from Dice on the issue but the unit does not seem to work. I am going back to good old CDs.

tom @ eas
09-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Sorry, missed your post. What BMW is this on - the Z3? Also - do you have Business Cassette (C33) or Business CD (CD43)?

AndyM
09-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Sorry, missed your post. What BMW is this on - the Z3? Also - do you have Business Cassette (C33) or Business CD (CD43)?

2002 Z3 Coupe. I have the Business CD.

tom @ eas
09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
2002 Z3 Coupe. I have the Business CD.

Should've asked what iPod as well, sometimes nanos product the "no sound" on first startup after installation. Try the following steps and have your radio code handy:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem, if not - you will possibly need a replacement module. If purchased from us, we'll make the necessary arrangements on our end.

AndyM
09-17-2007, 12:58 PM
It is an iPod Video.

I spoke with Dice and they said there is no way I am not getting sound. They also said it is normal for the iPod to keep running after I turn the car off or switch off the CD Changer (change to FM). Then they said it is an issue with the iPod not going to sleep. I found this odd as the iPod doesn't go to sleep if it is playing, only when it is stopped/paused and the Dice unit is not stopping the iPod. Even if I had sound, it looks like I would have to unplug the iPod and pause it manually when I stopped or wanted to switch sources.

I really wish my icelink didn't die on me. That thing was a godsend compared to this.

tom @ eas
09-17-2007, 01:20 PM
It is an iPod Video.

I spoke with Dice and they said there is no way I am not getting sound. They also said it is normal for the iPod to keep running after I turn the car off or switch off the CD Changer (change to FM). Then they said it is an issue with the iPod not going to sleep. I found this odd as the iPod doesn't go to sleep if it is playing, only when it is stopped/paused and the Dice unit is not stopping the iPod. Even if I had sound, it looks like I would have to unplug the iPod and pause it manually when I stopped or wanted to switch sources.

I really wish my icelink didn't die on me. That thing was a godsend compared to this.

They're right on that aspect. 3-series/Z3 radios manufactured before 9/2001 (which also included all Z3 radios). When the BMW is shut off, the DICE never gets the "kill" signal, this happened with the ice>Link also.

Simply pause the iPod manually or switch to a different source (AM/FM or CD) to pause the iPod before shutting down the vehicle. As long as nothing was changed in the wiring during your module swap, the problem may be within the module itself and needs to be replaced.

Feel free to give me a call from your Z3 if you would like real-time assistance.

AndyM
09-17-2007, 01:40 PM
They're right on that aspect. 3-series/Z3 radios manufactured before 9/2001 (which also included all Z3 radios). When the BMW is shut off, the DICE never gets the "kill" signal, this happened with the ice>Link also.

Simply pause the iPod manually or switch to a different source (AM/FM or CD) to pause the iPod before shutting down the vehicle. As long as nothing was changed in the wiring during your module swap, the problem may be within the module itself and needs to be replaced.

Feel free to give me a call from your Z3 if you would like real-time assistance.

Switching to another source did not stop the ipod under the dice. It did under the icelink. The ipod kept playing if the source was switched to FM/CD etc. It also started playing the ipod immediately when the ipod was connected (this was with no key in the car).

There was never any sound through the radio.

I am sending the unit back for a refund. I will stick with CDs and NPR.

Thanks for your help.