PDA

View Full Version : Need some help sorting things out....

Belushi
03-11-2003, 11:52 PM
... in my head that is.

I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time so far, and it truly is one of the better sites for BMW enthusiasts. Having people like Jon and Franco available doesn't hurt either...

With this in mind I thought this forum and its members might help me sort out some thoughts on purchasing my first BMW. I realize most of you own BMWs and are experiencing the thrill of driving the "ultimate driving machine", but I am coming from the other end. I just finished dental school here in southern California and believe it or not, one of the things that kept me focused on this goal (aside from my family and my fiancee) was the wall in front of my desk covered with Porsche and BMW pictures. It might sound sad, but it is true. I've loved BMWs since... since... forever I think. I have been driving a Honda Civic Si that I got as a graduation gift from high school in 1992. The Civic has been perfectly reliable and never saw the need to buy anything else since college and dental school cost a F!@!$#% fortune, and besides I had to save the money for my future BMW.

So here I am, March 2003, 11 days before my 29th birthday, out of dental school, about to get married in July, and in the process of purchasing my BMW. I've placed an order with Franco at Cutter Motors for a 530i (sport, premium, xenons, PDC, folding rear seats, NAV).

What could be the problem you ask? Today I got to drive a friend's 2003 540i 6-speed. :wow: :wow: :wow: :D Simply put.... I want one. Part of me is saying stick with the 530i, afterall it has won so many awards, it's engine is flawless and so on and so forth, but the other part that is still grinning from driving the 540i, that part of me that is still dreaming of owning my first BMW is saying go for it. I am utterly confused.

I intend on keeping the car for quite some time, and so I want to get the one that is more reliable in the long term. I realize that the 540i 6spd is more $$$ so I need to talk to Franco and get some numbers for the 540i. Considering I am just starting out and getting married and so on I may have to go the 530i route, but we'll see.

I can't sleep so I thought I'd share my thoughts and get some feedback from you gentlemen. With the $$$ aspect aside, let me know what you guys think as to whether the 540i is as reliable and so on as the 530i 5spd. No automatics here.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and opinions.

- Peter

SONET
03-12-2003, 12:21 AM
I can't say anything for the reliability of either, but having driven them both I can say they are both great cars. I didn't find the 530i to be underpowered by any means. But the 540i is a monster. ;)

If you going into a marriage and everything related, just be sure you aren't getting in over your head financially - that's not the best way to start things off. :thumbup:

Good luck!

--SONET

DanB
03-12-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by SONET
I can't say anything for the reliability of either, but having driven them both I can say they are both great cars. I didn't find the 530i to be underpowered by any means. But the 540i is a monster. ;)

If you going into a marriage and everything related, just be sure you aren't getting in over your head financially - that's not the best way to start things off. :thumbup:

Good luck!

--SONET

Agreed. I say get the 540i and move to London. By the time you've taken care of the brits' teeth and you're ready for a new car, you'll have made enough for a McLaren! :thumbup:

-DanB

jzdinan540i
03-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by DanB
Agreed. I say get the 540i and move to London. By the time you've taken care of the brits' teeth and you're ready for a new car, you'll have made enough for a McLaren! :thumbup:

-DanB

I had no clue there was a cure for buck teffers:rofl:
Why not skip the new car and buy a CPO. You get a better warranty, and to be honest there aren't that many improvments justifying the new car. Buy a 97-98 for mid 20's and get the 540.
I own both engines and the 530 is a great car, but you will kick your self everytime you see a 4.4 go by.

JST
03-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by jzdinan540i
I had no clue there was a cure for buck teffers:rofl:
Why not skip the new car and buy a CPO. You get a better warranty, and to be honest there aren't that many improvments justifying the new car. Buy a 97-98 for mid 20's and get the 540.
I own both engines and the 530 is a great car, but you will kick your self everytime you see a 4.4 go by.

I think this is a good solution. The depreciation on a 540 is brutal, so it's best to take advantage of that by buying one that is a couple of years old. You lose out on some warranty coverage (CPO is NOT a substitute for the factory warranty) and some scheduled maintenance, but you'll save huge $$$ on the purchase.

Here's some more food for thought: Moderate-mileage 2000 M5s are going in the low to mid 50s.

Heh.

Ågent99
03-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Peter, see my post on the ESS S/C I am installing on a buddie's 2001 530i. Last night we just finished it up (well, we still need to put the air filter into the fender well) and had it idling in my garage for several minutes. Check this URL for a post by me and Viet.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/forum.php?postid=1885776&page=1

Assuming (BIG ASSUMPTION!) this S/C works out well and there really isn't any reason to think it won't, going this route is actually cheaper than a comparable 540i purchase. Roughly, brand new, there is a ~10-12k premium for the 8-cylinder over the six. This kit from ESS will set you back ~6.5k. The six is lighter, has R&P steering, and will handle better. Toss in the S/C and you've got a 540 for the price of a six plus $$$s leftover and you get a more nimble car. :D

Since you are starting out, I don't recommend dropping serious coin on a brand new BMW--JZ has it right here. I think he has a good idea but it is also true that interest rates on new vehicles purchases are FANTASTIC and you might well be able to afford a new car (buying a house??? a house is actually an investment...a car is not....:) ) So buy a used (2001+ I say) BMW, 530i...drive it around a while, save up $$$s, then I'll help you put in an ESS S/C! :)

Tough choices, eh? :bigpimp: Good Luck!

Chris

jzdinan540i
03-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Ågent99
Peter, see my post on the ESS S/C I am installing on a buddie's 2001 530i. Last night we just finished it up (well, we still need to put the air filter into the fender well) and had it idling in my garage for several minutes. Check this URL for a post by me and Viet.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/forum.php?postid=1885776&page=1

Assuming (BIG ASSUMPTION!) this S/C works out well and there really isn't any reason to think it won't, going this route is actually cheaper than a comparable 540i purchase. Roughly, brand new, there is a ~10-12k premium for the 8-cylinder over the six. This kit from ESS will set you back ~6.5k. The six is lighter, has R&P steering, and will handle better. Toss in the S/C and you've got a 540 for the price of a six plus $$$s leftover and you get a more nimble car. :D

Since you are starting out, I don't recommend dropping serious coin on a brand new BMW like JZ posted. I think he has a good idea but it is also true that interest rates on new vehicles purchases are FANTASTIC and you might well be able to afford a new car (buying a house??? a house is actually an investment...a car is not....:) ) So buy a used (2001+ I say) BMW, 530i...drive it around a while, save up $$$s, then I'll help you put in an ESS S/C! :)

Tough choices, eh? :bigpimp: Good Luck!

Chris

Where did I suggest he mod his car?:confused: I did say buy a CPO and get a 540. The truth is if all you are after is pure HP then you are buying the wrong car. Go get a Mustang Cobra add 2-3K in Mods and run low 11's. Go buy a 95 E36 M3 and add about 6K and you'll toast the 530 with a SC. There will always be something faster, stronger and more reliable. If you really want a 5er then buy a used one. I am getting ready to dump the Coupe and 540 for a 97 Pcar TT, and I wont mod a thing.: :bigpimp:

Belushi
03-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Sonet - thanks for the advice. My parents and her parents and everybody in between have said the same with thing with respect to our marriage, but they know that Patti (fiancee) and I have sat down and worked out the numbers for this. They also know how long I've been waiting for this so there aren't any surprises. Franco over at Cutter Motors has been great calculating and recalculating figures for me. The 530 falls right into my price range, but the "Monster" as you appropriately called it, will require some outside help... My sister owes me, or there is always Las Vegas if I feel lucky...

DanB - :rofl: they do need some help don't they....
funny you should mention that. It seems US trained dentists do very well over in Europe. My family is from Greece and I've thought of moving there. People tend to gravitate to them because our higher education over here is so reputable and well known. Don't get me started on the McLaren :drool:

jzdinan540i - I thought of going that route, but I haven't been able to find anything decent. As logical as this route sounds, I feel like I need something new to assure myself that it was not abused. Remember I am looking at keeping this car for a while, and with the kind of power the 540 has it'll be hard to find a good one that hasn't been abused .... too badly anyway.

JST - Depriciation on any new car is brutal. However, in keeping the car for an extended period of time I think it balances out in the long run. Losing out on the warranty coverage can get expensive though and while I'll have to deal with this after 4 years with a new car, it would help to have that security when I am getting started. 2000 M5????????? JST can't you see my fragile state of mind and how impressionable I am. Great, now I am going to be looking for used M5's:mad: Actually I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a used one considering the abuse potential of that car. I want a keeper.

Bless you! Agent99 :thumbup:
this way I get my new car, and later when I'm making better money I can afford to mod the car and get that power at a discount. I'll be leasing the car at first and enjoying writing off the lease, and as far as buying a home goes, Patti and I have been saving for that on our own before we met, so that is ready to go as well. We'll be moving to Scottsdale Arizona later in the year after we get married and real estate over there is ridiculously low compared to Southern California.

--------------

I've played with the numbers so many ways that the deal I am getting from Cutter is too good to pass up. I haven't written anything yet about them, but for those that read this thread, you have to consider Cutter Motors an option when looking for a new car. I'll write more on that later as my purchase process gets underway.

Guys, thank you for listening to me think out loud. I needed a different perspective that could've only been obtained through discussion. I know getting a used one is a good idea, but there's something to be said about owning a brand new car. It's yours and yours alone. Perhaps I am thinking too emotionally considering I have been waiting for this moment for God knows how long, but we have to treat ourselves sometimes, and I've put it off for the last 10 years or so. Scottsdale, Arizona is also going to pay off financially considering I get paid more there, cost of living is less than Los Angeles, and we are not going to have a family for a few years anyway.

I don't want to get over my head, and after reading your comments and sleeping on it I think the 540 is just too much for me right now. Agent99 has given me an alternative that suits me and besides I have to have something to look forward to .... a future M5 :bigpimp: Agent99 I'll take you up on that help one day when I am ready for the supercharger install.

Thank you gentlemen!

Belushi
03-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Where did I suggest he mod his car?:confused: I did say buy a CPO and get a 540. The truth is if all you are after is pure HP then you are buying the wrong car. Go get a Mustang Cobra add 2-3K in Mods and run low 11's. Go buy a 95 E36 M3 and add about 6K and you'll toast the 530 with a SC. There will always be something faster, stronger and more reliable. If you really want a 5er then buy a used one. I am getting ready to dump the Coupe and 540 for a 97 Pcar TT, and I wont mod a thing.: :bigpimp:

No I am into it for the HP. I've wanted a 5 series for its handling, balance, control, etc... the 540i 6 speed simply seemed to take all of that to the next level when I compared it to the 5 spd 530i I test drove. I think the 530 is a great car and was only tempted by the sweet nectar of that throaty V8 in the 540. Kinda like a kid enjoying a perfect lollilop, and then seeing that huge lollilop the size of his head in the baker's window.

I'm sure most true BMW enthusiasts would say that they own their cars for the overall package and that is why i am getting a BMW 5 series. I was just tempted that's all.

Ågent99
03-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Beushi
No I am into it for the HP. I've wanted a 5 series for its handling, balance, control, etc... the 540i 6 speed simply seemed to take all of that to the next level when I compared it to the 5 spd 530i I test drove. I think the 530 is a great car and was only tempted by the sweet nectar of that throaty V8 in the 540. Kinda like a kid enjoying a perfect lollilop, and then seeing that huge lollilop the size of his head in the baker's window.

I'm sure most true BMW enthusiasts would say that they own their cars for the overall package and that is why i am getting a BMW 5 series. I was just tempted that's all.

Reasons I bought a BMW: Drove a buddie's '97 528i and was amazed at how it handles the oneness with the road. Never drove anything like that before! :D

Reasons I bought the 530 and not 540:

(1) Overall Cost
(2) Gas Mileage, Gas Guzzler Tax
(3) Insurance
(4) I6 is a solid engine design, felt it would be more trouble-free
(5) I6 is PLENTY of power for me although V8 is intoxicating

Reasons I went new instead of used/CPO:

(1) Wanted car exactly as I liked
(2) Wanted car ownership from day one
(3) Planned to own for a long, long time
(4) Could afford a new car, interest rates superb

Yes, in time, you will want more out of your BMW--no doubt. But you can put that off for a bit knowing (so far) that reasonably-priced S/C kits exist and aren't out of the realm of a decent weekend mechanic's hands.

Do I want an ESS kit on MY 530i? Yes. Will I get one? Most likely not unless my company's stock (Cisco Systems, CSCO) soars again and we can afford to "throw-away" 2-3 mortgage payments on ~100 hp gain on my 530i that "it doesn't really need" because it is a fine car bone freaking stock. :dunno:

Chris

beewang
03-12-2003, 11:47 AM
....Yes, in time, you will want more out of your BMW--no doubt. But you can put that off for a bit knowing (so far) that reasonably-priced S/C kits exist and aren't out of the realm of a decent weekend mechanic's hands.....

Bull$hit!!:) I just don't buy into that lame excuse. Daniel Bauer from the ToadFly bored uses the same argument. Frankly i think that's all horse manure. There are only 2 outcome when you mod your car for "a lil' more juice" out of it.1) You are having problems. or 2) You will soon have problems.

Look, during my young and foolish days, I've moded my toys. Frankly, the only time the damn thing ran right was when I put everything original back on th car.:mad:

These days, I'd rather not f*ck w/ anything and prefer to yell at the BMW Tech if I have a problem.

beewang:bigpimp:

jzdinan540i
03-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by beewang
Bull$hit!!:) I just don't buy into that lame excuse. Daniel Bauer from the ToadFly bored uses the same argument. Frankly i think that's all horse manure. There are only 2 outcome when you mod your car for "a lil' more juice" out of it.1) You are having problems. or 2) You will soon have problems.

Look, during my young and foolish days, I've moded my toys. Frankly, the only time the damn thing ran right was when I put everything original back on th car.:mad:

These days, I'd rather not f*ck w/ anything and prefer to yell at the BMW Tech if I have a problem.

Wow talking about generalizations. First off, lets not ever repeat anything from turdfly, their opinions are paid for and frankly they can't ever be trusted.
As for your mod comments. I think it is fair to say anytime you add more power to a car and engine not designed to hanlde it there are potentials for problems. Just like every yahoo blows his car, but runs stock brakes.
There are some very dependable tuners selling simple bolt ons that will give you a nice boost in power without problems. However, anytime you jump into bolting on 100 hp or moding every component there are just too many variables. So you can't troubleshoot as easily and small problems become big ones when ignored.
So I say skip the hairdryer, NOS, Turbos and bolt on simple mods that are sold by reputable tuners with a clean BBB background and a solid warranty. Gee guess that leaves Dinan huh Bee :bigpimp: :bigpimp: :flipoff:

Ågent99
03-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by beewang

:rofl: I don't really giva $hit whether you buy it or not...just because your mechanical ineptness sidelined you is no reason to bash others. Oh, and while you may not be young anymore, you are still foolish, Sir Wang. :D

Chris :neener: :neener:

P.S. Still "saucy" here...cool.... :)

DanB
03-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Just like every yahoo blows his car, but runs stock brakes.

You calling me a Yahoo? :flipoff: ;-P

I put M5 front brakes on my car a few months ago, and I can actually tell a huge difference over the stock ones. For the record, 4/4 M5 owners I have spoken to who have gone brembo or other big brake said that the improvement is really only felt in "lap 10" situations, i.e. the stock brakes are just as good (or close to) the brembos until you push the car around a track...

-DanB

BS540i
03-13-2003, 08:06 AM
I learned along time ago to get the car or what ever it is that you are considering to purchase the right way with the right equiptment you REALLY want the first time around. In the long run you will end up saving yourself a lot of money and the smile on your face everytime you hit the gas will remind you that you made the smart call!! Get the 540I!!!!!!!!!:bigpimp: :thumbup:

Ågent99
03-13-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by BS540i
I learned along time ago to get the car or what ever it is that you are considering to purchase the right way with the right equiptment you REALLY want the first time around. In the long run you will end up saving yourself a lot of money and the smile on your face everytime you hit the gas will remind you that you made the smart call!! Get the 540I!!!!!!!!!:bigpimp: :thumbup:

Well that may be the wisdom you've gathered over the years (and I am not implying you are old...just wiser :) ), some of us young pups starting out cannot simply AFFORD to get exactly what we want the first time and therefore must compromise.

Perhaps, then, he should just buy a POS that will last for the next year or two and continue saving money for a 540 or an M5. Dunno. We all have different priorities but he's waited 10 years thus far and that itch is becoming unbearable I think! :D

Chris ;)

Ågent99
03-13-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by DanB
You calling me a Yahoo? :flipoff: ;-P

I put M5 front brakes on my car a few months ago, and I can actually tell a huge difference over the stock ones. For the record, 4/4 M5 owners I have spoken to who have gone brembo or other big brake said that the improvement is really only felt in "lap 10" situations, i.e. the stock brakes are just as good (or close to) the brembos until you push the car around a track...

-DanB

Okay, the deal with the brakes...point made, JZ. BUT!

As I understand it, the 2001+ 530/540 have the same brakes. So adding an S/C to a 3 liter engine is rougly equivalent to a 540i but probably a tad faster.
Tracking aside, most brake fade from high speeds is due to brake fluid heating up and not brake pad fade. So put some Super Blue or the equivalent gold ATP TYP200 in your lines and I think the car should still brake fine and be safe. Thoughts? :)

Chris

Belushi
03-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Well that may be the wisdom you've gathered over the years (and I am not implying you are old...just wiser :) ), some of us young pups starting out cannot simply AFFORD to get exactly what we want the first time and therefore must compromise.

Perhaps, then, he should just buy a POS that will last for the next year or two and continue saving money for a 540 or an M5. Dunno. We all have different priorities but he's waited 10 years thus far and that itch is becoming unbearable I think! :D

Chris ;)

Pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking Chris. You are absolutely right about that itch too. I understand what you, BS540i, are saying but sometimes the $$$ isn't there, as Chris said.

I have no doubt that going from a 1991 Honda Civic Si that I started driving 12 years ago, to a 2003 BMW 530i will leave me grinning from ear to ear when I drive off that lot at Cutter Motors in May (hopefully early May Franco ;) ) and for many more years to come. As I mentioned before I was tempted by the 540's power in the 5 series package that i like, but as I said before I should count my blessings and enjoy the 530i for now, and who knows...... if Dentistry is as good as they say it is, it won't be long before I can call our friends at Cutter Motors and order my own M series vehicle. Hmmmm V10 M5 .... has a nice ring to it ;) don't you think?

By the way, anyone want to show up at Cutter Motors when I get my car finally, I'll be more than happy to buy everyone a round of drinks... :drink: Cheers!

- Peter

Belushi
03-13-2003, 10:48 PM

Chris ;)

Pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking Chris. You are absolutely right about that itch too. I understand what you, BS540i, are saying but sometimes the $$$ isn't there, as Chris said.

I have no doubt that going from a 1991 Honda Civic Si that I started driving 12 years ago, to a 2003 BMW 530i will leave me grinning from ear to ear when I drive off that lot at Cutter Motors in May (hopefully early May Franco ;) ) and for many more years to come. As I mentioned before I was tempted by the 540's power in the 5 series package that i like, but as I said before I should count my blessings and enjoy the 530i for now, and who knows...... if Dentistry is as good as they say it is, it won't be long before I can call our friends at Cutter Motors and order my own M series vehicle. Hmmmm V10 M5 .... has a nice ring to it ;) don't you think?

By the way, anyone want to show up at Cutter Motors when I get my car finally, I'll be more than happy to buy everyone a round of drinks... :drink: Cheers!

- Peter

Greco
03-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Only if its a couple of shots of ouzo. Sorry no raki for me. You know what they say.. Too much raki, and you **** your vraki...

Gia.. good luck on the car.

Belushi
03-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Greco
Only if its a couple of shots of ouzo. Sorry no raki for me. You know what they say.. Too much raki, and you **** your vraki...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Let me guess, you're Greek. Nice to meet you and as far as the beverage of choice, I agree, it'll have to be Ouzo and maybe some Tsipouro to really clean out your sinuses amongst other things.

Most people know of Ouzo and maybe Raki but no one around here knows of Tsipouro. You can get tame versions, but the real stuff Grandpas pull their own home brew out of their secret hiding places and give you a "few drops" your first reaction is
:wow: then you :banghead: Imagine eating so much you couldn't eat another bite, but if you have a little of this stuff, you can easily go back for more somehow.... oh and you could probably use it for fuel in our bimmers. ;)

Belushi
03-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Greco

Let me guess, you're Greek. Nice to meet you and as far as the beverage of choice, I agree, it'll have to be Ouzo and maybe some Tsipouro to really clean out your sinuses amongst other things.

Most people know of Ouzo and maybe Raki but no one around here knows of Tsipouro. You can get tame versions, but the real stuff Grandpas pull their own home brew out of their secret hiding places and give you a "few drops" your first reaction is
:wow: then you :banghead: Imagine eating so much you couldn't eat another bite, but if you have a little of this stuff, you can easily go back for more somehow.... oh and you could probably use it for fuel in our bimmers. ;)

jzdinan540i
03-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Okay, the deal with the brakes...point made, JZ. BUT!

As I understand it, the 2001+ 530/540 have the same brakes. So adding an S/C to a 3 liter engine is rougly equivalent to a 540i but probably a tad faster.
Tracking aside, most brake fade from high speeds is due to brake fluid heating up and not brake pad fade. So put some Super Blue or the equivalent gold ATP TYP200 in your lines and I think the car should still brake fine and be safe. Thoughts? :)

Chris

I think anyone who adds a supercharger and doesn't upgrade his brakes is foolish-period. I wish it were a grey area, but it's not. Even the M5 brakes can use some improvement. My stock 540 brakes lasted 3-4K miles. I can warp them in one hot lap. My Brembo's (14 inch floating rotors) have lasted 2 seasons (rotors) and I am going to get a new set in July. I have gone through 2 sets of pads as well. Stock brakes are for stock cars and stock drivers. I personally will swap out brakes on any car I own and I don't need to add any more power to justify it.
As for Dan, I know he wants to add them and is strapped for cash. This is a big issue with me, as I see many people upgrade their car and never spend one dime on brakes. :mad:

Greco
03-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Beushi

If you ever make your way up to Montreal give me shout, we'll break open my grandpa's bottle of Tsipouro, it's been sitting for 15 years... I was thinking of using it for racing fuel? What ya think?

Whereabouts your family from? We're Messinian (Kalamatan)?

Belushi
03-14-2003, 11:27 PM
racing fuel, more like rocket fuel :D

I can see it now, IRL, NASCAR, LeMans, etc... all switch to Tsipouro for their cars and themselves before, during and after their races. ;) We can set up a booth at Bimmerfest perhaps and market it as such :)

Check your private messages gia ta alla, kai pez mou t'onoma sou otan mou grapsis.

- Peter