PDA

View Full Version : PAC OEM-2 or not?

Beltway
09-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Greetings, all.

I've recently picked up a '93 325i and the stereo system is totally shot. I have decided on an Alpine CDA-9883 receiver and am hoping to use stock amp and front speakers for a little while. I know that the factory HU puts out line level for the factory amp, and that I can get a PAC OEM-2 to convert the speaker level output from the Alpine. However, the Alpine also has preamp outs. Can I just wire them up into the stock harness and use them with the factory amp instead of using the converter?

Thanks in advance for the help!

bpautosound
09-20-2007, 09:39 PM
you dont need that, just use a standard harness youll be fine.

Halston@BSW
09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Exactly. Just a standard harness that can be purchased locally or ebay has them for cheap. bwh-470 is the barness you need and then the BMW antenna adapter and you will be all set!

Don't worry yourself with the pac oem-2.

Beltway
09-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Excellent. Thank you very much!

Beltway
09-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks again for the advice, folks.

Hooked the Alpine up and it works great. Notice I didn't say SOUNDS great. That would require the speakers to be worth a s#!t. The front and rear 5 1/4" drivers are blown and the front "mids" aren't much either. Now I have to think about next steps. I don't think the factory amp is worth building off of, so I'll likely pick up a good set of components for the front and maybe get the 6x9 kit for the rears, all driven off the HU for now through the factory wiring (have to do some splicing back at the factory amp of course). Seems the cheapest way to go for reasonable sound. Eventually I'll use the factory amp location for an aftermarket unit, still using the factory wiring but using the pre-amp outs on the HU as the source.

Thoughts?