PDA

View Full Version : Staging and imaging on my E39 DSP stereo and E46 M3 HK stereo SUCKS, will BSW help?

gixxer
09-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Coming from competing in armature 500-750 watts class in IASCA, i do know little bit about proper staging and imaging.

And my 2003 E39 stock DSP stereo (with ///M subs) as well as 2004 E46 M3 stock HK stereo, SUCKS in *both* staging and imaging.

Listening through the IASCA test CDs as well as reference songs *easily* highlight the suckiness in these stock stereo.

So, either i can relive the days of IASCA (eg. wave gudes, kick panel drivers, blah blah blah, fancy stuffs), or give the drivers from BSW a try.

Considering following BSW kits,

a) BSW Stage I Audio Upgrade for BMW 3 Series / M3 Coupe 99-06 (E46), and
b) BSW Stage I Audio Upgrade for BMW 5 Series / M5 Sedan, Wagon 97-03 (E39)

Will simply replacing stock speakers with these, result in *measurable* differences in staging and imaging ???

Thing is, these drivers go in the stock locations, and the root of the problem is the stock locations for the speakers.

I'm bit skeptical in just swapping out the drivers in the stock locations, will do anything in improving staging and imaging of the sounds.

But if they do, then i'm getting (a) and (b) kits. :thumbup:

Thanks much !

gixxer
10-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Wow, some presence by BSW ... Any comment from BSW ??? :dunno:

rogan
10-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I think the problem with the BM system is you either have to go the whole way or just speaker upgrades - the Rainbow brand BSW type stuff. Headunit integration is a pain and only easy way around it is something like a cleansweep or Alpine imprint set up.

I'm right hand drive so kick installs are out, only leaving the door. So waveguides for me. Have had a look under the dash and they'll fit quite easily. Then mids in the bottom corner of the door on a modified card and I think staging / imaging won't be too much of a problem. Biggest problem is the h/u followed by the boot install

DouglasABaker
10-03-2007, 09:23 PM
BSW is a speaker upgrade. They will sound different, but they aren't going to point anywhere other than stock and therefore will not affect staging/imaging.

If you want different sound then go with BSW's Rainbows or use MB Quarts. If you want different imaging you need aftermarket DSP or new speaker locations...

d-