PDA

View Full Version : Fluid capacity of E39 6-speed tranny?

DZeckhausen
03-15-2003, 12:08 PM
I replaced the fluid in my 6-speed with Royal Purple and I could swear it took slightly less than two quarts to fill it up. However, RevHigh posted something over on Roadlfy that mentioned a capacity of 2.6 quarts.

I can't find the tranny capacity listed in my 2001 540i/6 documentation. In the appropriate section of my owner's manual, it lists all the other fluid capacities but leaves the tranny section blank with a small note saying "lifetime fluid" :(

DanB
03-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by DZeckhausen
I replaced the fluid in my 6-speed with Royal Purple and I could swear it took slightly less than two quarts to fill it up. However, RevHigh posted something over on Roadlfy that mentioned a capacity of 2.6 quarts.

I can't find the tranny capacity listed in my 2001 540i/6 documentation. In the appropriate section of my owner's manual, it lists all the other fluid capacities but leaves the tranny section blank with a small note saying "lifetime fluid" :(

If "the zeck" can't figure this out, WTF makes you think us simpletons can???

-DanB

PropellerHead
03-15-2003, 09:04 PM
I will say only:

Consider the source.

DZeckhausen
04-05-2003, 04:16 PM
I confirmed via both BMW documentation and experimentation that the E39 6-speed tranny only requires 1.6 liters (about 1.7 quarts) of fluid when it is drained and refilled.

Interestingly, the specifications for a dry tranny fill at the factory call for 1.8 liters (about 1.9 quarts).

sb540
04-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Thanks, that is information I was looking for.

Royal Purple going in!