PDA

View Full Version : 540 valve covers

Dustin540/6
03-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Does anybody else have a problem with the paint on their valve covers? Are they covered under warranty? Mine are starting to flake and bubble.

DanB
03-15-2003, 06:17 PM
That's a very common problem, though I thought they fixed it in '99 with a new coating! I have it bad, most of the people I know have it bad, and because they're magnesium you can't polish them or put an epoxy on them because the polish will oxidize and look like $hit, and the epoxy will stain brown over time. New valve covers are $425 plus tax from the dealership (been there, done that), and I don't want to be without my car for 2 weeks while my covers get treated (with whatever they can be treated with). *sigh* Good job BMW...

-DanB

jzdinan540i
03-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by DanB
That's a very common problem, though I thought they fixed it in '99 with a new coating! I have it bad, most of the people I know have it bad, and because they're magnesium you can't polish them or put an epoxy on them because the polish will oxidize and look like $hit, and the epoxy will stain brown over time. New valve covers are $425 plus tax from the dealership (been there, done that), and I don't want to be without my car for 2 weeks while my covers get treated (with whatever they can be treated with). *sigh* Good job BMW...

-DanB

Everyone has this problem. can't we just powder coat them?, Dan you owe me an email :)