PDA

View Full Version : New Dinan 330xi Suspension System available now

james330x
03-16-2003, 12:20 AM
Just spoke to a rep over at Dinan BMW and he mentioned that the 330xi Suspension System (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14066) I mentioned last year is available now. I'm excited and ready to order but have heard slightly different things from different reps about how much this lowers the car. Can anyone share what they've heard?

jaisonline
03-17-2003, 01:03 PM
james and all,

first, i don't know much about the dinan xi lowering kit although it improves overall handling on most road surfaces. i'm all for the kit. however, lowering the xi (in my opinion) defeats the purpose of the extra (almost an...) inch of ground clearance the xi has over the i.

for example, in phila this winter my xi handled the snow w/o any problems (the car sliced and diced through snow like it was that infomerical shedder :) ) except when it came to driving over areas where the snow had a chance to pile up. granted, driving through 6+ inches of snow is rare but just be aware of it. lowering the ground clearance (like with any car) will decrease some snow mobility. the latter isn't a big deal to most but i just wanted to add my 3 cents. good luck with the kit if you buy it.

james330x
03-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Had a couple of Dinan dealers get back to me today. It seems the concensus is that the kit will lower your xi to about 1/4 inch LOWER than a 330i with the SP. Let me say I'm excited about the kit. Now I just have to convince the wife this is the way to go.

The kit works in Stages. Stage 1 is the 4 springs with a rear shock set. Stage 2 adds a rear sway bar and Stage 3 adds camber plates for faster turn in. Each is progressively more expensive. Stage 1 runs around $900, Stage 2, $1200 and so on. Installation time is almost a full day so figure at least $600 for Stage 1. I hope this helps.

Nick325xiT 5spd
03-20-2003, 05:13 PM
I have to wonder why they don't replace the front shocks.

OTOH, it's actually cheaper than coilovers.

Surprising.