PDA

View Full Version : Euro Crash Tests show E46 just so-so.

jastevenson
12-24-2001, 12:45 AM
Anyone see those new European crash tests? I was dissapointed to see that the E46 didn't so so great. I saw the IIHS American crash tests where the E46 got a best pick score, but the european tests are more thorough and it is dissapointing to see that BMW didn't do better.

Commentary:
BMW to retest the 3-series after it improved side impact protection and attended to a door latch release problem. Even so, the car only just did well enough to merit a four-star rating. The driver risked chest injury in the frontal impact, and protection for his legs was mediocre. In the side impact, he risked abdominal injury. Finally, protection for pedestrians was also disappointing.

FYI, the new A4 did very well:
The A4 has a strong passenger compartment that protected its occupants. The airbags worked well to keep front occupants in the front and side impacts from harm. They also safeguarded the heads of those in the rear during the side impact. This is a safe car which deserves its four star rating. It is a pity that airbag warnings for children are inadequate and pedestrian protection has been ignored.

Alex Baumann
12-24-2001, 01:37 AM
Here's the official website of the Euro-Ncap who performed these test. You can see the test results too.

Euro Ncap (http://www.euroncap.com/)

PS: Audi A4 did NOT do that well as you said. The only car which did well was Renault Laguna in the 'Large family car' category.

Alex

jastevenson
12-24-2001, 01:44 AM
The Commentary was just a cut-and-paste from the ncap website, and the commentary seemed more favorable to the A4. Both cars got 4 stars (laguna is only car ever to get 5), but the BMW was at the bottom of the 4 star range and the A4 at the top end (88%, 90% is 5 stars)

I heard Renault might make a comeback in US due to their acquisition of nissan. I think they'd fail miserably since their cars have a wacky French look to them that I am convinced won't play well with Americans. We Americans seem to be a fairly conservative type when it comes to car styling..

Alex Baumann
12-24-2001, 01:49 AM
I asked myself the same question, why no french cars in the US? But I know the US market is a hard one to compete against Audi,BMW and MB.

There're really interesting french cars on the market here in Europe such as the Laguna or Peugeot 607. Take a look at the Peugeot website. It's a really nice car. I saw it in person and damn it's cool.

Alex

Plaz
12-24-2001, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
I asked myself the same question, why no french cars in the US?

Two words: Le Car.

hts
12-24-2001, 06:05 AM
Just kidding. Although I do believe there is some animosity between the French and Americans. Not sure of the source (WWII?).

In any event, I admit that my wife and I both suffered a little from the stereotypes when we went to Paris for a 4-day weekend 2 years ago. We really expected to get over there and find them to be snobbish, aloof, pretentious, etc. Just the opposite. Much to our surprise, we found the Parisiennes to be very friendly and down-to-earth.

Although I was taken aback last week when I read that France's ambassador (I think it was the ambassador) to Great Britain recently referred to Israel as "that ****ty little country."

What's up with that?

Alex Baumann
12-24-2001, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by hts
recently referred to Israel as "that ****ty little country."

What's up with that?

Those are symptoms of overdose frog legs and Champagne :D

jastevenson
12-24-2001, 04:02 PM
I hope they sacked that bas_tard. :mad:

LilEccentricJ
12-24-2001, 04:57 PM
RE: Euro NCap results on 3 Series

Looking at their site it IS obvious that they do a more stringent test. I'm not aware of USA doing a "pedestrian" crash test. Also I noticed that they publish the VIN of the crashed car. A Consumers Report article I read in the last issue did mention that the autos crashed for test are sold at auction and a percentage (I don't remember the % (very small)) do make their way back onto the road. Lastly, the 3 Series is a "large" family car? I would hate to drive a "supermini" as they call them.

LilEccentricJ
12-24-2001, 05:06 PM
Look at the Fiat Seicento 1.1 under superminis! That is supersad shape for this type of collision. Or even the Rover 100, I mean jaws-of-life come to mind. http://www.euroncap.com/results.htm

Mr. E
12-25-2001, 09:07 AM
If they can semi-slam a car at the "low end" of four stars (E46), and highly praise a car at the "high end" of four stars (A4), don't they need a new rating system to better reflect their results (numerical or 10-stars total)?

"Jimmy, your classwork was shoddy and thrown together, so I'm giving you the low end of an A. Suzy was meticulous and perfect, so she gets the high end of an A." What up with that? :confused:

Mr. E
12-25-2001, 10:13 AM
I just finished reading some of the results in detail. I'm a little confused about why they keep slamming all the cars in their "pedestrian safety" ratings. Are they expecting that cars are going to be driving around with huge pillows attached to the front in the future? :rolleyes:

Compared to the "bad old days" of non-folding mirrors, and huge jagged wings and chrome pieces to rip pedestrians to shreds, I think today's cars are close to the best that can be expected for pedestrian safety. Hey, how about an external airbag on the grill, that would fire when you impact a pedestrian? It would probably shoot him away from the car into more traffic.

LilEccentricJ
12-25-2001, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Mr. E
I just finished reading some of the results in detail. I'm a little confused about why they keep slamming all the cars in their "pedestrian safety" ratings. Are they expecting that cars are going to be driving around with huge pillows attached to the front in the future? :rolleyes:

Compared to the "bad old days" of non-folding mirrors, and huge jagged wings and chrome pieces to rip pedestrians to shreds, I think today's cars are close to the best that can be expected for pedestrian safety. Hey, how about an external airbag on the grill, that would fire when you impact a pedestrian? It would probably shoot him away from the car into more traffic.

A number of years ago when I was looking at MB SL's the salesman kept trying to sell me on the aluminum hood cuz it was safer for pedestrians... Do they throw in a bail bonds card for the driver too cuz were talking involuntary manslaughter here if I was to use that "feature". Besides, how many pedestrians do you see in US/Canada? We are all in too much of a hurry to walk!