PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber E39 hoods?

PropellerHead
03-18-2003, 11:00 PM
I am VERY interested in the free discussion of suppliers for CF hoods.. can anyone comment?

DanB
03-18-2003, 11:34 PM
That would be novel... FREE discussion of CF hoods? What do you mean by FREE? On RF Free means that RevHigh pushes a sponsor's product and lies about a competitor's... Hack, comment on John StPierre (Rev) and his "interesting" advertising methods... No wonder he can't get a real job.

Anyway,

Looks like MA Shaw (RF sponsor) is going to make a mold for the E39 hoods... I've haven't got the foggiest idea as to their quality, but I think that as soon a they roll a few out and some of us take the plunge, I'd be in under $1000.00.

The other guy, Beastpower, apparently has both vented and non-vented E39 hoods... Same deal, if the quality is good and it's under 1K, count me in.

Thoughts? Comments? BTW, RevHigh called this board "faagfest" (edited for spelling) yesterday...

-DanB

jzdinan540i
03-19-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by DanB
That would be novel... FREE discussion of CF hoods? What do you mean by FREE? On RF Free means that RevHigh pushes a sponsor's product and lies about a competitor's... Hack, comment on John StPierre (Rev) and his "interesting" advertising methods... No wonder he can't get a real job.

Anyway,

Looks like MA Shaw (RF sponsor) is going to make a mold for the E39 hoods... I've haven't got the foggiest idea as to their quality, but I think that as soon a they roll a few out and some of us take the plunge, I'd be in under $1000.00.

The other guy, Beastpower, apparently has both vented and non-vented E39 hoods... Same deal, if the quality is good and it's under 1K, count me in.

Thoughts? Comments? BTW, RevHigh called this board "faagfest" (edited for spelling) yesterday...

-DanB

Dan relax, Rev looks even dumber today then he did yesterday. He is obnoxious, a compulsive liar, and works for a company that has yet to make a profit. Mashaw will never make anything for the E39, if they claim they are going to ask them to put it in writing. I started working with them 3 years ago and got no where fast. I even offered to buy 50 hoods and they laughed. They want nothing to do with street cars or that group, they are a racing house-period.
I have a local guy who makes them, remember 2 years ago. I got the specs, etc and it was shot down. This mod is all looks, so if you want to buy one I have a guy who will do it, but 1500-2k is a good price for real CF.
For 1k the hood will be mostly fiberglass, poor quality not to mention these things have a tendancy to shatter.

DanB
03-19-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by jzdinan540i
Dan relax, Rev looks even dumber today then he did yesterday. He is obnoxious, a compulsive liar, and works for a company that has yet to make a profit. Mashaw will never make anything for the E39, if they claim they are going to ask them to put it in writing. I started working with them 3 years ago and got no where fast. I even offered to buy 50 hoods and they laughed. They want nothing to do with street cars or that group, they are a racing house-period.
I have a local guy who makes them, remember 2 years ago. I got the specs, etc and it was shot down. This mod is all looks, so if you want to buy one I have a guy who will do it, but 1500-2k is a good price for real CF.
For 1k the hood will be mostly fiberglass, poor quality not to mention these things have a tendancy to shatter.

I think the biggest thing here is to find a facility which has a big enough autoclave and is willing to make at least 1 mold. The E39 hood would need to be in 2 pieces, with the bottom almost definately being fiberglass (as mentioned). Give it some time, I'm sure there will be more places doing this in a few months/years.

-D

jzdinan540i
03-19-2003, 09:13 AM
I think the biggest thing here is to find a facility which has a big enough autoclave and is willing to make at least 1 mold. The E39 hood would need to be in 2 pieces, with the bottom almost definately being fiberglass (as mentioned). Give it some time, I'm sure there will be more places doing this in a few months/years.

-D

I have a couple Detroit guys working on this now for you. They both own autoclaves. Its not as easy as you think and in order to get the price down you need to make a ton of these things and that requires a very large autoclave. If I could make a ton of them and get the price down how many could you sell? I see a market nationwide of about 50 :D

DanB
03-19-2003, 09:18 AM
I have a couple Detroit guys working on this now for you. They both own autoclaves. Its not as easy as you think and in order to get the price down you need to make a ton of these things and that requires a very large autoclave. If I could make a ton of them and get the price down how many could you sell? I see a market nationwide of about 50 :D

I hope you mean per month...

-DanB

PropellerHead
03-19-2003, 09:23 AM
What we NEED is a GROUP BUY!

AND we need a GROUP BUY on BFP CAI's, too.

It's open season on the best bimmer board in town. :D

Group Buys! Open discussion*! I'm delerious!

*threaten someone's life or post a personal attack and your post gets pulled. Plain and simple.

jzdinan540i
03-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by PropellerHead
What we NEED is a GROUP BUY!

AND we need a GROUP BUY on BFP CAI's, too.

It's open season on the best bimmer board in town. :D

Group Buys! Open discussion*! I'm delerious!

*threaten someone's life or post a personal attack and your post gets pulled. Plain and simple.

hehehehe I am delerious as well. Free speech is a wonderful thing.
Then again, maybe we should be listing to the master:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/forum.php?postid=1921935&page=1

Dan I don't think there is a huge market for this. I had 12 guys email me saying they would be interested. Thats not enough. I had Kevin ask around as well and people laughed at him. I think this one is better left to the Honda crowd. Of course, I would paint mine :D

DanB
03-19-2003, 09:58 AM
hehehehe I am delerious as well. Free speech is a wonderful thing.
Then again, maybe we should be listing to the master:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/forum.php?postid=1921935&page=1

Dan I don't think there is a huge market for this. I had 12 guys email me saying they would be interested. Thats not enough. I had Kevin ask around as well and people laughed at him. I think this one is better left to the Honda crowd. Of course, I would paint mine :D

Paint? You can get silver CF too... It's bedded with aluminum.

jzdinan540i
03-19-2003, 10:52 AM
Paint? You can get silver CF too... It's bedded with aluminum.

I like the stock look, the silver CF is nice, but I would still paint it, and Xpel it.